PDA

View Full Version : Cobra RJ45 Breakout Cables

tonyr
11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
I'm curious if anyone has used the Cobra RJ45 Breakout Cables yet? https://www.cobrafiringsystems.com/breakout_cable_rj45

So essentially you can break out CN50 to 6 RJ45 connections and utilize the 6S slat or the DB25 to 3 RJ45 connections to use with 6S slat. Much cheaper to run ethernet cable than the other slat cables.

My question is then if I had a 72M module that went to 12 different 6S slats do the queues line up 1:1 on the 6S slats so I would have 72 individual queues on the slats? (Hope that makes sense).

Birdman
11-07-2020, 01:06 PM
If I'm understanding your question correctly, yes.

On a 72M you have 2 CN50 connectors. one is for banks A & B (18 cues each for a total of 36 cues) and one for banks C & D (the other 36 cues) for a total of 72 cues. Each RJ45 connection on the cable (6 in total) can/will attach to a 6S slat (6x6=36). Those cues are mirrored (1:1) on each 6S slat. You can connect additional 6S slats to each other and those will also mirror the cue on the mod and on the other 6S slats.

Basically every cobra mod is built on the 18M model. The 18M (18 cues) has the potential (based on configuration) to support (3) 6S slats with RJ45 cables, (1) 18S slat with a DB25 cable. The DB25 breakout cable has 3 RJ45 connectors.

The 36M is essentially (2) 18M's on one mod represented by bank A (one "18M") and bank B (second "18M"). It has 2 DB25 connectors that can each attach to (1) 18S slat or 3 RJ45 connections with the breakout cable. Additionally it has a single CN50 connector that can connect to a 36S slat. the CN50 breakout cable will have 6 RJ45 connectors on it.

The 72M simply doubles the 36M or is essentially (4) 18M's on one mod represented by banks A, B, C & D containing 18 cues each. It has 4 DB25 connectors and 2 CN50 connectors.

Most of this information is probably elementary for most but may be helpful to others.

tonyr
11-07-2020, 02:03 PM
OK, that makes sense. I started to question myself after reading something about breakout boards where it sounded like the entire slat would fire per queue or something like that. I don't recall what firing system the conversation was about. So my plan is to use these to extend off from other slats to accommodate my layout. Trying to see what makes most sense from a cost perspective when looking at cables, slats, modules, etc. I even thought about using scab wire and IDC connectors next year to save on costs but with the hundreds of times I would have to cut and splice wires that doesn't exactly get me too excited. I feel like I am running out of time already for next July lol.