PDA

View Full Version : how is this accomplished

rfgonzo
08-27-2020, 11:49 PM
I was just watching the RNC and at the end during the fireworks they spelled out with single shot fireworks TRUMP, 2020 and USA. How is this achieved to wright letters or words in the sky?

Robbro097
08-28-2020, 12:00 AM
Iv seen letter racks (not for sale in u.s. tho) that can fire them at an angle to accomplish letters but those seemed to b fired vertically using timing and spacing, or thats how it looked to me. Regardless that was an incredible display ��

joewad
08-28-2020, 12:37 AM
The american flag was painted in the sky during the inauguration if you remember. Which I thought was quite a accomplishment. My guess, same group of pyros.

jdels
08-28-2020, 06:42 AM
7800 shots. Holy moly.

BMoore
08-28-2020, 09:21 AM
I saw a still shot and it was pretty clear it was done with single shots fired at various angles. The letters were distorted in such a way that from the viewer perspective they looked properly proportioned and vertical. Kind of like how wording painted on the road is elongated in such a way that it looks normal when viewed out your windshield. I've seen it done at other shows but not as large as that last night. Very impressive. I'd love to see how that is set up.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-28-2020, 10:02 AM
The show was done by Grucci and fired with Fire One.
There was so much going on it was hard to absorb in real time. I watched several videos of it to appreciate all the different segments in the show. USA, TRUMP 2020, FLAG letter effects, and large Red Stars...all looked great!!! Not to mention all the comet chases, gold brocades filling the sky, and all the colors!! AMERICA!!!
Well done Grucci and FireOne!!!

Scotty Rockets
08-28-2020, 10:37 AM
It’s called pyro printing or pyro matrix printing. I first seen this effect in malta displays. You will need very consistent single comet effects probably that of at least Ricasa product. The new finale 3D now has matrix printing built in. No way will dominator or Vulcan 1.4pro have anywhere close to the consistency that’s needed.

BMoore
08-28-2020, 12:57 PM
It?s called pyro printing or pyro matrix printing. I first seen this effect in malta displays. You will need very consistent single comet effects probably that of at least Ricasa product. The new finale 3D now has matrix printing built in. No way will dominator or Vulcan 1.4pro have anywhere close to the consistency that?s needed.

That?s what amazes me. The altitude and burn time have to be perfect. The burn out also has to occur immediately upon reaching apogee. The margin or error that must be achieved in these shots is so small it almost seems impossible.

displayfireworks1
08-28-2020, 09:45 PM
You can see it around the 26 second mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1J5Du8FmzY

I think this is shot out of letter templates on the ground . Notice the angle on it. I saw something like this in a Kellner Fireworks video. However I am not 100% sure.

OhmsOutlaw
08-28-2020, 10:22 PM
Is this the same technology used by Spirit of '76 earlier this year? Skip to 2:00

https://youtu.be/iF4duYywWm8?t=120

Rick_In_Tampa
08-30-2020, 01:17 AM
I thought those comet runs around the Washington Monument were mind-blowing. I wonder how long it took to set all that up? Phenomenal show.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-31-2020, 02:27 PM
I thought those comet runs around the Washington Monument were mind-blowing. I wonder how long it took to set all that up? Phenomenal show.

Rick--I heard it was a 40 man crew and they had 3 days to get everything landed. Awesome. It seems there was a "glitch" in the finale where one section didn't go on que, then fired late. None the less, a phenomenal show! America!

Mattp
08-31-2020, 05:32 PM
That show was every pyros dream!!! From beginning to end.. definitely was a lagging cue at the end.. but was amazing... that comet run was crazy!!! I?m pretty sure SO76 is selling those type of racks now.. to be able to use comets for spelling.. and I don?t think they were used here.. but that flag during another ceremony was micro burst pixel technology.. I do believe Grucci is the only one in the US who does that ( and I think possibly hold a patent on it) .. and yes,, the fire one is an incredible system

Rick_In_Tampa
09-01-2020, 11:52 PM
40 people and 3 days of setup time... Wow. That's just insane. But the product speaks for itself.

WithReport
09-07-2020, 09:17 PM
The RNC printing was definitely done with letter racks as shown in the Spirit of 76 video posted. You can see all the meteors for each letter spreading out from a single firing position.

If interested, here is the fabrication and assembly of the letter shooting racks from steyrfire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEhHGkrg3M

As for the dot-matrix pyro printing, it is all based on placement and timing - here is a music note printed - you can see some of the distortion due to product quality limits.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5270&stc=1

Somewhere there is a cool video of Disney doing some pyro printing dot-matrix style - the quality and accuracy of the product is evident in the Disney work.

As for pyro-printing, one can figure this out - it's projectile motion equations. A few years ago, I created a spreadsheet where on the left side, you can create your artwork or lettering and on the right side, it identifies the firing time needed for each position, as well as totaling up the number of effects for each position and total effects. I posted this on a FB User Group site a few years ago. (interestingly the F3D interface approach is a bit similar to my old spreadsheet)

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5271&stc=1

specialfxpyro
01-19-2021, 05:43 PM
With racks like the one in the picture. Grucci did the RNC display to it's safe to assume they built the fireworks in house. They appear to be single shot meteors built to specific tolerances like close prox product.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5505&stc=1

Salutecake
10-26-2021, 07:47 PM
Hwy Dave, you mentioned Rozzi Product in your post. I looked them up and now I have a couple of questions. So on this web page it says:
Featured Items
​ "RICASA Close Proximity Products From Spain.
​ All Products are Classified 1.4G Articles Pyrotechnic UN0431 and are for PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY and an ATF license is required for purchase.

This is the same product Arthur Rozzi uses for their own displays.

Product catalog coming soon. Please contact us for additional information.

​ You will need a BATFE license to purchase product."

And then a little below that is this: "All Products have an Electric Match attached"

So if it is a 1.4 product why is a FEL required? I understand an ematch is attached and a FEL is required to purchase ematch, but-so with the ematch attached wouldn't that make it a 1.3 product and if you bought the product would you have to store it in a magazine, because of the attached ematch?
Just confused and looking for some clarification.

displayfireworks1
10-26-2021, 08:34 PM
Hwy Dave, you mentioned Rozzi Product in your post. I looked them up and now I have a couple of questions. So on this web page it says:
Featured Items
​ "RICASA Close Proximity Products From Spain.
​ All Products are Classified 1.4G Articles Pyrotechnic UN0431 and are for PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY and an ATF license is required for purchase.

This is the same product Arthur Rozzi uses for their own displays.

Product catalog coming soon. Please contact us for additional information.

​ You will need a BATFE license to purchase product."

And then a little below that is this: "All Products have an Electric Match attached"

So if it is a 1.4 product why is a FEL required? I understand an ematch is attached and a FEL is required to purchase ematch, but-so with the ematch attached wouldn't that make it a 1.3 product and if you bought the product would you have to store it in a magazine, because of the attached ematch?
Just confused and looking for some clarification.

It all too confusing and the AP products are all over the place. A distributor selling AP products or any pyro product can set any standard for selling that is higher than the regulations. But not lower than the regulations. Selling to an ATF licensed individual is always a safe bet for all distributors. I used the analogy years back of Motrin (ibuprofen ), If you want a single tablet of Ibuprofen 800 mg you need a doctors prescription. However you can buy all the ibuprofen 200 mg tablets you want over the counter. Probably because the instructions say not take more than 1 or 2 tablets and USE AS DIRECTED. Well, apparently someone authorized an electric match to be a ibuprofen 200 mg. Its a business strategy mainly to benefit display companies.

Salutecake
10-26-2021, 10:19 PM
Ah Thanks! but what about the attached e-match? Let's say that I did purchase one of those with the attached ematch, would it have to be stored in a mag. I know if I buy ematch alone they have to be stored in a mag, and there are plenty of us that have our FEL but no mag.

Using your analogy to me it's like taking 200mg of ibuprofen (over the counter) but adding a couple of grams of OxyContin (prescription required), a 1.4 item then attaching a 1.3 item?

BMoore
10-27-2021, 09:56 AM
Ah Thanks! but what about the attached e-match? Let's say that I did purchase one of those with the attached ematch, would it have to be stored in a mag. I know if I buy ematch alone they have to be stored in a mag, and there are plenty of us that have our FEL but no mag.

Using your analogy to me it's like taking 200mg of ibuprofen (over the counter) but adding a couple of grams of OxyContin (prescription required), a 1.4 item then attaching a 1.3 item?

If you think too hard about the AP rules your head will spin. My understanding is that product that comes from the factory pre-matched does not necessarily require magazine storage. Basically if the match is secured in the product and the insertion point is sealed then it is considered part of the product rather than a separate detonator. Having said that, I have seen some AP products shipped with an un-installed e-match simply bundled and inserted in one of the tubes. In my mind that gets a little sketchy. Like Dave said, AP is all over the place and this is one area that probably needs more regulation and standardization.

As far as the Ricassa product from Arthur Rozzi, you'd have to call them to discuss. Just so you understand, Arthur Rozzi Pyrotechnics is a different/smaller company than the more famous Rozzi Famous Fireworks. It was started some years back when one of the Rozzi brothers decided to go his own way from the family company. It's a good company and they also have a great consumer line (Hammer & Anvil), but usually when you hear Rozzi, this is not the company being referred to.

Salutecake
10-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Thanks BMoore! a while back i was in Alabama and took an APA close proximate and Fire Marshal's test, loads of fun, but I kind of asked the same questions then, and all I got was gray answers. I was going to order some stuff from TheaterXXXX but all that stuff is ematched too, When I get around to it I'll see what that company has to say, they have to say. Well maybe they use initiators? I'll have to call one of these days.
Again, thanks for the reply.