PDA

View Full Version : Easy QuickPlug solution for wiring in Series?

WithReport
08-13-2020, 12:56 AM
There seems to be a lot of interest in Quickplugs. I see the benefits, but not fully sold on them - at lest for a full system conversion. I have bought some quickplug rails for my fireTEK system and one 6 cue conversion for an 18M, but I also bought a 6cue standard parallel slat at an additional cost so I retained my capability for standard igniters on the 18M, too. Anyways, one of the downsides of quickplugs is the additional hassel for wiring things up in series or parallel - sure it can be done, but it requires a bit more work and this past show, I had a few items wired in series - a number of fountains, and a few cakes that I ignited from either end, and the 15 flights of 5 canisters all matched in series.

So for series wiring, there is a muuxBRD QuickSplit-12 that is available. This can be used with quickplug rails or standard rails. I bought a few an tired them out. Besides trying them out, there are a few things of cautions I try to point out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CG16wn7vGg

What do you think of them? Would they be worth it to simplify your Quickplug setup? I thought they were pretty good, but still not fully sold on the quickplugs for my current needs.

Scotty Rockets
08-15-2020, 12:48 AM
My upcoming September show will be all quick plugs with the firetek system as I have gone all in. I will be using exactly 299 firewire ematches on 7 mods with 25 slats and a few of CJ’s series boards with the quick plug aka MTA100 connector.

DerekShellman66
09-22-2020, 10:35 PM
How do you wire the last outlet in a series?

cjurczak
09-23-2020, 08:16 PM
How do you wire the last outlet in a series?

If it doesn't have a ematch then you use a jumper. All positions need either a jumper or ematch to complete the circuit.

BMoore
09-30-2020, 09:14 AM
I've started looking into the boards and quickplugs and I'm intrigued. I like the idea of being able to hook up items in series without fumbling with wire strippers, twisting wire, etc. which is the aspect of e-firing that costs me the most time. However, I can't help but wonder if there aren't similar boards with standard speaker terminals? As I understand it, traditional slats mimic the cues on the module. So to do this with slats would require 12 separate slats to fire 12 items in series off say cue #1? However, the breakout board allows you to do this with just one small board? Right now only have modules and wire in series the traditional way so perhaps my understanding of slats is a little off but it sure seems like these break out boards could be huge benefit even without quickplugs.

Birdman
09-30-2020, 12:17 PM
I saved this for future reference from Cobra documentation. If wiring in parallel or series make sure you are withing the recommended number of igniters per cue for your firing system:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5287&stc=1