PDA

View Full Version : 1.4pro UN0431 reclassification

Scotty Rockets
07-29-2020, 06:48 PM
The rumored China reclassification of 1.4pro UN0431 appears to be likely happening . My question is to those who rely heavily on this product, what is your game plan if/when this reclassification happens?

Robbro097
07-29-2020, 07:39 PM
Im gonna b very upset at having invested so much in2 equipment for pyromusical thats for sure. Beyond that no idea im not in a state thats very easy to meet requirements to shoot 1.3 so thats not a practical option.

displayfireworks1
07-29-2020, 08:36 PM
I am watching this play out. I suspect the display company cartel is putting pressure on China to stop these AP products. The gap between the display companies and some of you advanced backyard folks is getting closer and closer. The downside for them is, if all of this goes 1.3 the burden of storage and strict inventory controls is going to fall harder on them , then it will us. I said this in prior post, as fireworks enthusiast we look and behave more like display companies than we do of fireworks enthusiast of old. They liked us better when we had chemicals and tubes and screens instead of ATF license, wireless computerized firing systems and choreography software. Why do think some of these clowns that never met me in their life don't like me. They work in the display business and feel one day they will be out of work. If they try to stop this, they can't have it both ways to where we can't buy and they don't have to count it and store it.

Birdman
07-29-2020, 09:03 PM
I haven't used any 1.4 pro yet but was planning to next year. Plan B would be to reconstruct 1.4 cakes into single shots, fan slices and poking of shells then hoping for the best.

tmwjr
07-29-2020, 10:51 PM
I'll have to attempt to get a magazine which is not likely in my municipality. I'd probably have to try and rent some space in the town where I shoot 1.3...which is the wild west thankfully.

The irony is that I've never seen any AP used in the displays around here. I'm assuming that's the case in most places. It's always the same show...straight up and boom with maybe some random cakes. It would be nice to see some comets and mines thoughtfully planned even if they are a bit far away.

Matt
07-29-2020, 11:58 PM
I am watching this play out. I suspect the display company cartel is putting pressure on China to stop these AP products. The gap between the display companies and some of you advanced backyard folks is getting closer and closer. The downside for them is, if all of this goes 1.3 the burden of storage and strict inventory controls is going to fall harder on them , then it will us. I said this in prior post, as fireworks enthusiast we look and behave more like display companies than we do of fireworks enthusiast of old. They liked us better when we had chemicals and tubes and screens instead of ATF license, wireless computerized firing systems and choreography software. Why do think some of these clowns that never met me in their life don't like me. They work in the display business and feel one day they will be out of work. If they try to stop this, they can't have it both ways to where we can't buy and they don't have to count it and store it.

It has nothing to do with any USA display company. China Customs is doing this.

FWGuy
07-30-2020, 08:01 AM
What would be the genesis/motivation for the Chinese to reclass 1.4pro...seems it would be uneconomic for them to do so???

Birdman
07-30-2020, 10:22 AM
What I'm confused about, if someone can explain, how would the Chinese reclassification change what we can have access to here in the US? If it makes it to our shores then wouldn't our laws apply? I'm sure I'm missing something but I just can't figure out what it is.

BMoore
07-30-2020, 10:42 AM
What I'm confused about, if someone can explain, how would the Chinese reclassification change what we can have access to here in the US? If it makes it to our shores then wouldn't our laws apply? I'm sure I'm missing something but I just can't figure out what it is.

I'm confused about this too. China doesn't want to classify anything as UN0431 for shipping purposes. They actually want to classify it as 1.4G is my understanding. Once the product hits US soil the EX number of the product should control its classification. I'm sure they would need to be re-packaged and re-labeled before going to end customers which can drive up prices or prompt some importers to bow out. However, I'm not convinced that Articles of Pyrotechnics will suddenly become 1.3.

Mattp
07-30-2020, 01:06 PM
appears china is doing this to a number of different products.. from what i can find it has to do with their testing methods for shipping safety being strictly enforced now.. where they were not previously..if they can be repackaged with thicker and more secure boxes/ and pass the test.. they can remain in the class.. otherwise they get changed. same is happening for NOABs and some 1.3 items as well

Robbro097
07-30-2020, 01:33 PM
Yea i had seen theyv moved 3" noabs to 1.3 and they were working on possible adding a wire cage to them to keep them on market but that drives cost up even more on them and there already so expensive the way there scamming as is on the 3s

Birdman
07-30-2020, 04:29 PM
There appears to be two different issues at play here. If anyone has more accurate information, please do correct me.

The first issue is the reclassification of the factories in China that can produce the different types of fireworks (Class A, B C, D which matches the Chinese National Fireworks Classifications). In short, the bigger the firework the higher the classification needed for a factory to produce it. Apparently these standards were always in place but largely ignored. With more enforcement of the Chinese regulations, some fireworks will now need to be produce in a factory with a higher classification then they were previously produced at. This could affect supply until more factories get licensed to produce the higher classification of fireworks.

The next issue is shipping. Before the fireworks can be shipped they must have the proper safety testing done. There must also be a warehouse certified to safely store whatever type of firework is in the shipment from the factory. This is where, as I understand it, the UN classification comes in. The results of the testing determines what UN classification it is. There are many tests needed that determine how safe the product is to store/transport. Testing could show that a shipment of 1.4 fireworks is as dangerous to store/ship as a shipment of 1.3 fireworks. It all depends on the results of the testing. Many products were pushed through without having all testing done or using test results from a different product. To pass these tests many factories are having to package their product better so they perform better in these tests, since the testing done is focused on how safe they are to handle, transport and store. I've read that many 1.3 shells were doing poorly in the tests and had to have packaging resigned so they would perform better in testing. Additionally the Chinese government is now checking to ensure the product was produced in a properly classified factory before any testing can be done. So if a class C factory produces a class A firework, it will not be able to get the testing done and therefore will not be allowed to ship. Once the testing is competed the product can ship to wherever and can be labeled to meet that countries regulations.

Much of this information I got from this FB video from Carson Lee at Boom Wow (starts where he talks about the reclassification of factories and what they can produce):

https://www.facebook.com/carson.lee.58760/videos/896611667460319/?t=1631

Unless there is something new out there, I don't see how these changes in China will affect our ability to purchase 1.4 pro. As long as the firework is manufactured in the correctly classified Chinese factory and passes the safety tests, it can be labeled and shipped for export to the U.S. Keep in mind, the only difference between 1.4 and 1.4 pro is the construction and the labeling but not the amount of composition in them. As for 3" NOAB's etc, these can still be produced in a class A factory or they can be produced using smaller tubes, which they belong in anyway, at a factory with a lower classification.

displayfireworks1
07-30-2020, 07:21 PM
Here is document floating around on Facebook. When things change in China, I never rule out influence from big names in United States. Those wired baskets you see referenced may be what the UK uses on some of their 1.3 rockets. If you look at some of my old Keller videos when the BOSS System was first introduced, you will see some of those wire baskets. I'm not 100% sure but that is what I believe they are. I think that is how they get away with selling 1.3 rockets in the UK by meeting some shipping requirement with those wired baskets. Part of the problem is there are way too many regulation variations in each country China has to deal with.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5221&stc=1

Birdman
07-31-2020, 12:28 AM
Interesting new information there. I did read that many factories may shut down because of the new classifications. Reduced production capacity is never good for prices. The baskets needed on 3" tubes, I assume, is to get them to pass the safety testing. It probably keeps the shells contained in the tubes if they should ignite (they put wire baskets over champagne corks). A lot of the testing done and the UN classification given depends on how much danger the product presents if it is ignited in its shipping packaging. The more danger the ignition present the higher the UN classification. This is in part because firefighters must be able to approach a fire to put it out. If shells are flying all around then it will not be safe for fire fighters to get close enough to put the fire out so more needs to be done to contain them and mitigate the risk they pose. It's Interesting that 2" tubes don't need the wire baskets considering the shell, should be, no more powerful in a 3" tube than a 2" tube.

The issue with Hunan customs not authorized to issue certificates for AP because they are not "fireworks" appears to be just a technicality that could easily be worked out. Seems the question is, do they want to work it out or is there some reason there is no will to work it out? They can still be imported as every other 1.4 firework but will need to be relabeled once in the U.S. In both these cases there is nothing that is banning the production or export of these products. Although the cost of doing so could be too prohibitive for some producers and/or importers.

Lastly, yes, the regulations surrounding fireworks are insanely complicated. You have the regulations in China. Then you have the UN regulations. On top of all of that you have the regulations in every country they are being imported into. As crazy as all of that is, without at least some of these regulations, who knows how safe they would be and if they weren't safe as they are would they be legal anywhere?

displayfireworks1
07-31-2020, 08:07 PM
Here is an example of that UK cage BS AKA the Wired Baskets referenced in the letter. Video is from 2010. Somehow this allows sales of 1.3 to consumers I believe in the UK. What an unnecessary burden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNmYHhPbnYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f6Iu1vjCYU

jamisonlm3
08-01-2020, 03:01 AM
How unbelievably unncecessary. I find it hard to imagine something more pointless.

Birdman
08-01-2020, 10:47 AM
That second cage is really silly. Thin wire and frame cage held closed by 4 heavy latches. Those heavy latches make no sense.

Fulliautomatix
08-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Whaaaa? Is that to prevent things from falling out during shipping if the carton is damaged? Somehow supposed to contain a detonation?