PDA

View Full Version : 60mm and 62mm single shots

Mudballs
07-21-2020, 06:58 PM
What is the best way to secure these down? Does a pyrolama have enough strength to support these? Are there special racks made for them?

krayg
07-22-2020, 10:12 AM
What is the best way to secure these down? Does a pyrolama have enough strength to support these? Are there special racks made for them?

I built my racks out of wood. Heavy but they work well. I guess if you're launching from grass you could use a wooden stake and tape/zip tie.

I've never used this but it's a pre-built one specifically made for 62mm
https://craigco.co/index.php/holding-systems/medusa/medusa-x6-18-shot-62mm-holder

I have these but haven't tested with 62mm yet. I've used them for single shots from 22mm to 75mm so far. I would add supports/weights so they don't slide.
https://www.bigtimepyro.com/mortar-tube-racks

Scotty Rockets
07-22-2020, 11:03 AM
They’ll damage the pyrolamas unless you add the support ribs option. I have wood racks for these.

esgrillo
07-22-2020, 01:34 PM
made wood racks like Scotty and krayg

PyroGyro
07-22-2020, 04:36 PM
They’ll damage the pyrolamas unless you add the support ribs option. I have wood racks for these.

Do you have specific experience with 62's damaging pyrolamas without the rib support? I have several pyrolamas and have shot 62's without the rib support. I did buy the rib supports though eventually. However, after putting the rib supports in and looking at the design of the pyrolama I still cannot figure out why they would "really" be needed. The interlocking aluminum pieces are thick and are not getting bent. Furthermore, when the downward force is put on the aluminum pieces, that force is not just pushed downward, but pushed outward as well to the adjoining aluminum pieces, spreading out how the force is absorbed. And because the pieces are interlocked together and interlocked so they swivel when force is put on them, I see no way for the pyrolamas to get damaged.

Scotty Rockets
07-22-2020, 05:09 PM
By all means continue doing what you do... the pyrolamas system is not intended or recommend to fire shells from. Yes I know of an instance 2nd hand were a preloaded shell did lightly damage a profile or 2. If also gives a unsafe spring board effect. My Lamas racks are only for mines and comets.

Do you have specific experience with 62's damaging pyrolamas without the rib support? I have several pyrolamas and have shot 62's without the rib support. I did buy the rib supports though eventually. However, after putting the rib supports in and looking at the design of the pyrolama I still cannot figure out why they would "really" be needed. The interlocking aluminum pieces are thick and are not getting bent. Furthermore, when the downward force is put on the aluminum pieces, that force is not just pushed downward, but pushed outward as well to the adjoining aluminum pieces, spreading out how the force is absorbed. And because the pieces are interlocked together and interlocked so they swivel when force is put on them, I see no way for the pyrolamas to get damaged.

Mudballs
07-22-2020, 09:18 PM
I think I will go with building some out of wood. Something about metal and shells that just scares me. Can I build them just like a regular angled 18 canister rack? Or do they need to be flush with the ground?

tmwjr
07-22-2020, 10:27 PM

Here are ones that I built. They can be angled. I built I bunch of other ones that are 8 shot with spacers. I usually use those to fuse them together instead of buying noabs.

tmwjr
07-22-2020, 10:31 PM

Another but wired into slats and not fused.

topshelfpyro
07-22-2020, 10:55 PM

Pyrolamas can hold shells without issue if you have supports underneath. The problem is shells can make the lamas bounce or slide quite a bit. The bouncing can be mitigated with supports underneath the sliding can be mitigated with weights or staking. What I didn't like was the x-holders for shells are to flimsy so I made my own. I also made my own bottom supports that are about 1/2 what they would cost from pyrolamas. The shell holders (because of the custom machining are not the cheapest thing but they will last just about indefinitely.

FWGuy
07-23-2020, 11:41 AM
TopShelf...just curious, did you use 80/20 Aluminum (vendor) for the mortar rack in 1st pix?

topshelfpyro
07-23-2020, 12:10 PM
TopShelf...just curious, did you use 80/20 Aluminum (vendor) for the mortar rack in 1st pix?

It is indeed with a custom machined slider plate and screw for the pyrolamas. The rings are 3" HDPE tubing attached to the vertical channel for easy adjustment anywhere along the length and will support DR11, 60, and 62mm. Combine them with the underneath supports and your shooting shells all day long off your lamas without issues. You can fit 4- 62mm per angle.

PyroGyro
07-25-2020, 10:32 AM
Interesting. I guess I can see the pyrolamas bouncing, especially if you're shooting multiple 62's at the same exact time. Last thing I need is for the pyrolama to spring up and tip over or something like that. I haven't had that problem yet, but I do have the rib supports so I will just use them. As for the Xholders, yeah they kinda suck but I just use 2 zip ties to hold the 62 in place. Have had no issues with them moving.

topshelfpyro
07-25-2020, 04:25 PM
Interesting. I guess I can see the pyrolamas bouncing, especially if you're shooting multiple 62's at the same exact time. Last thing I need is for the pyrolama to spring up and tip over or something like that. I haven't had that problem yet, but I do have the rib supports so I will just use them. As for the Xholders, yeah they kinda suck but I just use 2 zip ties to hold the 62 in place. Have had no issues with them moving.

If you have the supports you should be fine. It only takes 1 to make a bounce as you can see in the video I made. the first did nothing much the second was interesting. No bottom supports used.
https://youtu.be/XMf5U8z-0fw

tmwjr
07-25-2020, 06:12 PM
That was great to watch. Very scary if shooting in a quick sequence or a couple at a time. Thanks for sharing.

FWGuy
07-26-2020, 01:29 PM
It is indeed with a custom machined slider plate and screw for the pyrolamas. The rings are 3" HDPE tubing attached to the vertical channel for easy adjustment anywhere along the length and will support DR11, 60, and 62mm. Combine them with the underneath supports and your shooting shells all day long off your lamas without issues. You can fit 4- 62mm per angle.

Thanks TopShelf...was actually looking into 80/20 to make something similiar, learned about them when making an MFT table for workshop.

topshelfpyro
07-26-2020, 07:46 PM
Thanks TopShelf...was actually looking into 80/20 to make something similiar, learned about them when making an MFT table for workshop.

If you find you need the special screws to attach your slider plate to the vertical let me know. If you want the custom machined slider plates that I have also let me know. I will sell the pieces as well as complete assemblies.

PyroGyro
08-10-2020, 04:16 PM
If you have the supports you should be fine. It only takes 1 to make a bounce as you can see in the video I made. the first did nothing much the second was interesting. No bottom supports used.

Damn dude. This makes me wonder if I should shoot 62's from the pyrolamas at all. I mean, are we sure it's because the supports weren't there that it jumped like that? Btw, fwiw, I slowed down the video to .25 in youtube. The first 62 (the one that didn't cause a bounce) tube visibly lifts a couple of inches in the air as the shell goes off. What were you using to secure the tubes to the Pyrolama? I use the Xholders and then 2 zip ties through the holes around the tube and tighten them as much as I can.

topshelfpyro
08-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Damn dude. This makes me wonder if I should shoot 62's from the pyrolamas at all. I mean, are we sure it's because the supports weren't there that it jumped like that? Btw, fwiw, I slowed down the video to .25 in youtube. The first 62 (the one that didn't cause a bounce) tube visibly lifts a couple of inches in the air as the shell goes off. What were you using to secure the tubes to the Pyrolama? I use the Xholders and then 2 zip ties through the holes around the tube and tighten them as much as I can.

The discharge force turns the arch into a springboard especially on the top 0 degree position with the 9 arch

I use my custom made holders for the single shots.5246 That's the version with smaller rings for 50mm stuff just drop the tube in. I'm not worried about the tubes moving what so ever they will not get out of those holders. I use 3 supports under my lamas 1 per side about 2" from the edge and 1 in the center. They do not move at all now. The 9 arch is worse than the 7 or the 5. I don't use any supports under the 5 (lamas do not make supports for them them either).

esgrillo
08-10-2020, 10:36 PM

damn... I think my scrap wood ones were the way to go....

topshelfpyro
08-11-2020, 12:35 AM
damn... I think my scrap wood ones were the way to go....

Nothing wrong with wood......the lamas simply afford a simple, fast, and accurate solution that is easily repeatable

PyroGyro
08-11-2020, 09:42 AM
The discharge force turns the arch into a springboard especially on the top 0 degree position with the 9 arch

I use my custom made holders for the single shots.5246 That's the version with smaller rings for 50mm stuff just drop the tube in. I'm not worried about the tubes moving what so ever they will not get out of those holders. I use 3 supports under my lamas 1 per side about 2" from the edge and 1 in the center. They do not move at all now. The 9 arch is worse than the 7 or the 5. I don't use any supports under the 5 (lamas do not make supports for them them either).

I see, so the custom made holder doesn't keep the tube from moving, it moves freely inside those outer tubes. I like the design though. Do those custom holders fit 62mm? Zip ties and Xholders are a PITA. Are those custom holders for sale? Finally, check this video out. https://youtu.be/IJvEIZD0Vj0?t=182 Based on this video I'm not sure that supports guarantee that the Pyrolama won't bounce.

topshelfpyro
08-11-2020, 01:06 PM
I see, so the custom made holder doesn't keep the tube from moving, it moves freely inside those outer tubes. I like the design though. Do those custom holders fit 62mm? Zip ties and Xholders are a PITA. Are those custom holders for sale? Finally, check this video out. https://youtu.be/IJvEIZD0Vj0?t=182 Based on this video I'm not sure that supports guarantee that the Pyrolama won't bounce.

Correct, really no reason to try and keep it from moving inside the rings. Yes, they will fit most things including the large candles they have a 3" id. The rings in that pic are 2.5"id for smaller things like the 50mm. It just gives them less room to move so it holds them in position better. I also make a 24" long version that's better for large candles. I do sell them if you have an interest but they are much more expensive than a $2 x-holder as you can imagine. I watched that video but i'm not sure what I missed? The lamas will move, slide a bit etc, just from the lift charge force similar to that wood rack. Its just to light, similar to those pieces of wood but with supports underneath it will not bounce like it did when I was testing. I do not have a good video of it but I was shooting 3- of dominators big 50mm mines(PFX50MNRBWS) at the same time this year at -15, 0, 15 degrees and the lamas didn't budge with the supports underneath. FWIW. If I do larger bore things at a bigger angle I add weight or stakes to keep the lamas from sliding. grass/dirt isn't near as bad as concrete or asphalt.

I have a friend that broke several x-holders shooting single shots from them. I used them for the 50mm mines without issue though.

topshelfpyro
08-11-2020, 01:13 PM

This one has the larger rings attached...

PyroGyro
08-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Correct, really no reason to try and keep it from moving inside the rings. Yes, they will fit most things including the large candles they have a 3" id. The rings in that pic are 2.5"id for smaller things like the 50mm. It just gives them less room to move so it holds them in position better. I also make a 24" long version that's better for large candles. I do sell them if you have an interest but they are much more expensive than a $2 x-holder as you can imagine. I watched that video but i'm not sure what I missed? The lamas will move, slide a bit etc, just from the lift charge force similar to that wood rack. Its just to light, similar to those pieces of wood but with supports underneath it will not bounce like it did when I was testing. I do not have a good video of it but I was shooting 3- of dominators big 50mm mines(PFX50MNRBWS) at the same time this year at -15, 0, 15 degrees and the lamas didn't budge with the supports underneath. FWIW. If I do larger bore things at a bigger angle I add weight or stakes to keep the lamas from sliding. grass/dirt isn't near as bad as concrete or asphalt.

I have a friend that broke several x-holders shooting single shots from them. I used them for the 50mm mines without issue though.

Yeah my point in sharing that other video was that the wood racks jump around too. But as you said, there isn't a lot of weight there either, and that's probably why that wood rack jumped. If you've got some of those custom holders for sale to fit 62mm shoot me a PM with pricing. I really like the idea of just dropping the 62mms into that sleeve, it would be easier than zip ties and would save time.

Bitzan
12-18-2020, 12:26 AM

Another but wired into slats and not fused.

Tom, I am new to the hobby so sorry if this is a rookie question. Do you leave the racks wired into the slats like you have them for a few days in the garage before a shoot? Or only immediately before? Trying to determine what I can do in advance.

tmwjr
12-18-2020, 09:06 AM
Tom, I am new to the hobby so sorry if this is a rookie question. Do you leave the racks wired into the slats like you have them for a few days in the garage before a shoot? Or only immediately before? Trying to determine what I can do in advance.

Yes, I do leave them wired into the slats for a few days in the garage. They are series slats with shunts on both sides of the slat, which I understand decreases the risk of ignition. However, anytime there is an ignition device in the lift charge of an effect there is definitely some risk. It's really about what you're willing to tolerate. I'm willing to tolerate that risk for the benefit of saving a good bit of time on the day of the shoot. My understanding of the risk with that setup and the shunted slats is that it is relatively low.

tmwjr
12-18-2020, 09:07 AM
I'll add that I, and I believe many people on here, poke their cakes and put initiators in them in advance too. Just be sure to leave initiators and slates shunted. Always some risk tho.