PDA

View Full Version : California and TNT Fireworks

displayfireworks1
12-24-2011, 12:24 AM
From my youtube Favorites
This video is from San Bruno City Council meeting 2009. It is no secret that the state of California is anti-fireworks. However, the consumer category of “Safe and Sane” which I believe is a California created term for sparklers and ground based fountains is very popular. TNT Fireworks does a large “Safe and Sane” business in California and apparently hired a public relations firm that specializes in dealing with government agencies to speak on their behalf. You will hear this man speak at around the 14:00 minute mark. There is nothing wrong with representing your business interest but what upset me in this video is he is giving the council members all these inventive ways to stop these consumer fireworks plus allow them to profit from the arrest. Like the saying goes “Always follow the money” At one time a fireworks fine in California would have all of the fine money going to the State of California, apparently now from what we will hear in the video a portion of the fine money now comes back to the local municipality that issued the citation, and not only does a portion return but it is specific to the department that issued the fine.
The term “Dangerous Fireworks” used in this video is just regular consumer fireworks that are not Safe and Sane. It does not mean M-80’s and other illegally made fireworks. TNT fireworks has taken a position that someone in California should be arrested for being in possession of the same type of fireworks they may be selling in another state.
The only thing going for California is it surrounded by other states that are more than willing to sell California residents all the fireworks they want, all they have to do is drive across the border to Nevada or down to Mexico. Phantom Fireworks is within a reasonable driving distance of both Las Angles and San Francisco. I am sure all you have to do is just sign and paper and purchase all the fireworks you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzAT0pur_J8

cracker
12-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Hey Dave, I live in Ca not far from the town shown here. I watched this video a long time ago. Also I have dealt with TNT in reagards to setting up a 4th Safe and Sane stand for a non-profit 501c3. The rep was very nice, enthusiastic and very helpfull (unlike Phantom).

However, after watching this video, I only go to TNT for Cali Candles nothing else. Otherwise I no longer shop with them. It seems they are trying to kill the competition, in order to secure their toe-hold on the safe n sane market here. But in reality they may be shooting themselves in the foot.

I can tell you that this particular town is a stones throw from S.F. Phantom, in Nevada, is very very very far away. So where do the good fireworks come from in the Northern California Bay Are? Try China Town. Or illegals smuggling them in. Seriously.

Now I'm not pro-Phantom by any means but, I would like to hear a reaction from both companies in regards to these tactics. In another town just a few minutes south of there, the city council praises Phantom during town hall meetings. Not surprisingly a majority of the 4th 501c3, stands in that town belong too Phantom.

I think they both send reps to line the back pockets of city council members across the entire state. They're all a bunch of crooks anyhow. The plus side to all of this? At least we still have safe and lame fireworks :/

Pyro Nation
12-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey Dave, I live in Ca not far from the town shown here. I watched this video a long time ago. Also I have dealt with TNT in reagards to setting up a 4th Safe and Sane stand for a non-profit 501c3. The rep was very nice, enthusiastic and very helpfull (unlike Phantom).

However, after watching this video, I only go to TNT for Cali Candles nothing else. Otherwise I no longer shop with them. It seems they are trying to kill the competition, in order to secure their toe-hold on the safe n sane market here. But in reality they may be shooting themselves in the foot.

I can tell you that this particular town is a stones throw from S.F. Phantom, in Nevada, is very very very far away. So where do the good fireworks come from in the Northern California Bay Are? Try China Town. Or illegals smuggling them in. Seriously.

Now I'm not pro-Phantom by any means but, I would like to hear a reaction from both companies in regards to these tactics. In another town just a few minutes south of there, the city council praises Phantom during town hall meetings. Not surprisingly a majority of the 4th 501c3, stands in that town belong too Phantom.

I think they both send reps to line the back pockets of city council members across the entire state. They're all a bunch of crooks anyhow. The plus side to all of this? At least we still have safe and lame fireworks :/

it does sound like someone's pockets are being lined.. but like you said.. at least you have safe and lame... there are plenty out there that would love just to have that...

Palermitano2
12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
it does sound like someone's pockets are being lined.. but like you said.. at least you have safe and lame... there are plenty out there that would love just to have that...

i would take even caps and snappers...........

kitsune
12-29-2011, 09:03 PM

That's where all the best fireworks came from when I was growing up: the Chinese Mafia.

Though, if you're willing to drive, I think there's a Phantom store out by Reno (I guess it depends on what your definition of "very far" is). Last year I nearly did a double-take when I saw some Phantom ads running on TV during the 4th. Also, there's Schurz if you're willing to drive a bit further (I hear they also have a place to shoot, but I've never been EDIT: I'm in Sacramento, so it's a reasonable drive for me).

Though, I will say that at least TNT tried to lobby to open up sales over New Years... But, from what I heard, they dropped it because they were told that if they pressed the issue "they" (I don't know who) would outlaw fireworks all together. Yet another reason to get the heck out of this state (as if the poor economy wasn't enough of a reason).

NW Fireworks Lover
12-30-2011, 01:33 AM
That's where all the best fireworks came from when I was growing up: the Chinese Mafia.

Though, if you're willing to drive, I think there's a Phantom store out by Reno (I guess it depends on what your definition of "very far" is). Last year I nearly did a double-take when I saw some Phantom ads running on TV during the 4th. Also, there's Schurz if you're willing to drive a bit further (I hear they also have a place to shoot, but I've never been EDIT: I'm in Sacramento, so it's a reasonable drive for me).

Though, I will say that at least TNT tried to lobby to open up sales over New Years... But, from what I heard, they dropped it because they were told that if they pressed the issue "they" (I don't know who) would outlaw fireworks all together. Yet another reason to get the heck out of this state (as if the poor economy wasn't enough of a reason).

Amen, left that state years ago and still have only safe and sane here in OR, but can travel to WA for full class C to shoot up there. I miss Red Devil and the Freedom stands in CA, now TNT is all you see down there, and a few stands from Phantom. I did visit Chinatown in LA a couple times and that worked, but if anyone thinks they can go to NV and bring works back to CA, good luck!!!

Pyro Nation
12-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Almost the same for New Jersey residents trying to get fireworks from PA... The police are constantly monitoring that...tough call

pyro man 205
12-30-2011, 02:54 AM
well when i lived down in ca back in the 70s we only had tnt stands never was allowed to buy fireworks. so when i moved up here to wa in 89 that is when i started to play with fireworks. and im still having fun playing with them. LOL

PyroJoeNEPA
12-30-2011, 10:14 AM
After watching this video clip it confirms my theory of politicians: It takes a politician [or spokesperson] 20:22 to say what can be said in less than one minute. This was as bad as watching CSPAN when you have insomnia! Amazing how the government feels they need to protect us from ourselves. My sympathies to all the states suffering from "Pinhead Politics" & shame on TNT for trying to play both sides of the game!!!