PDA

View Full Version : Homemade fireworks display

whitepyro
12-21-2011, 06:44 PM
in this display i have completely made everything from scratch and raw materials the willow to white go-getter was my own creation but i am not claiming ownership of the idea, there are four starmines 12 4'' shells 2 3'' whistle mix salutes and 11 waterfall jerbs i have another 2 4'' shells that i forgot to edit in but i will upload them soon. there are three shells that which the stars do not ignite because i had run out of composition so they were not finished,all shells are pasted using the method in a video that Dave (displayfireworks1) posted and all casings are made by myself. This display took about 3 and a half months to make. Feedback welcome.Enjoy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkKV3SDOnE&feature=g-upl&context=G227ddcdAUAAAAAAAAAA

Pyro Nation
12-21-2011, 10:08 PM
AWESOME job.... Lot of time for the 5 min enjoyment.... Thats my issue though... I dont have the patience to do that.... though it is a great feeling I bet ya had when watching your creation come to life

at 2:13 I think it was a shell goes up and sort of looks like a salute, but not sure if it was... did it DUD out on you or designed that way

whitepyro
12-21-2011, 11:31 PM
AWESOME job.... Lot of time for the 5 min enjoyment.... Thats my issue though... I dont have the patience to do that.... though it is a great feeling I bet ya had when watching your creation come to life

at 2:13 I think it was a shell goes up and sort of looks like a salute, but not sure if it was... did it DUD out on you or designed that way

Thanks, it takes a lot of commitment and hard work but yeah seeing them go up and break was a great feeling, at 2.13 it was a salute but it was in the mortar very tightly and it blew the pipe as it left so it didn't reach is full height.

whitepyro
12-21-2011, 11:35 PM
here's the extra shells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80poXVvSKQk&feature=g-upl&context=G227ddcdAUAAAAAAAAAA

PyroJoeNEPA
12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Very nice job Whitepyro. I see you are using spoolettes on your shells instead of chinese time fuse. Is this because you do not have access to the chinese time fuse or because you just want to make everything yourself? The gold willow go-getters had a long hang time--very nice!!

whitepyro
12-22-2011, 08:30 PM
thanks mate, you got it i can't get hold of much but i can get visco like under the table, i rolled the willow stars and they didn't turn out perfectly round they had like a golf ball texture and they looked real ugly and not uniform any reason why?they were rolled by the way.

indianahx
12-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't talk about anything on an open forum involving the phrase "under the table"........just 2 cents

whitepyro
12-22-2011, 10:16 PM
yeah well im not in the states

Pyro Nation
12-22-2011, 10:30 PM
LOL..yeah.. he is in a well, cant say less strict than us in terms of some things...lol

whitepyro
12-22-2011, 11:48 PM
you get the idea.

indianahx
12-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Under the table still means under the table no matter where you are regardless of regulations

whitepyro
12-23-2011, 06:48 PM
hey but it's not as under the table as you think

indianahx
12-23-2011, 07:23 PM
It doesn't matter......whether or not you explain that whatever you used isn't under the table at all, and in fact it was just a silly expression, means nothing here on page two or three of these forums. All it takes is for the wrong person to look at the first response and say "thats exactly the problem, everything is obtained illegally"
You know it isn't, we know it isn't, but the anti-pyro doesn't care of the context, nor will they read 5 pages of comments just to make sure it wasn't a misrepresentation.

I know this site is still in its infancy and this sort of thing will most definitely come up again. Just saying its not a good idea. The words and actions of one represent many on here.

Not trying to dog you out or anything buddy. I understand you're in a different part of the world. I understand that regs there are different than regs here and so on and so forth. But anytime I'm discussing something and I use the term "under the table" its never meant to describe something done or obtained legally.

Having tried to clarify I will leave it at that. Good video. Wish I could manufacture my own stuff here but I have neither the means nor patience. Keep up the hard work.

pyromaniac
12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
thanks mate, you got it i can't get hold of much but i can get visco like under the table, i rolled the willow stars and they didn't turn out perfectly round they had like a golf ball texture and they looked real ugly and not uniform any reason why?they were rolled by the way. Star comps with a high charcoal content are always harder to roll. If your looking for uniformity, I recommend using a star pump. Although there is nothing wrong with a "bumpy" star. The prime I use a lot has AF charcoal in it, and all my rolled stars come out looking like how you described above. I think they light easier than perfectly round ones anyways. Also I was wondering if that was HDPE your using for your mortars? They appear to be very thin walled and unsafe! That would explain the low break you talked about. Nice show BTW!

whitepyro
12-29-2011, 09:19 PM
yeah i guess no one see's the stars only when they burn. The white stars were pumped. the grey pipe is pretty crap its only pvc drainage pipe but the green stuff is pretty safe for star shells.

Pyro Nation
12-29-2011, 11:33 PM
yeah i guess no one see's the stars only when they burn. The white stars were pumped. the grey pipe is pretty crap its only pvc drainage pipe but the green stuff is pretty safe for star shells.

Your using PVC pipe... I don't recommend using it for any shell or mine or anything for that matter... PVC = shrapnel and serious injury if near it when it goes.. I dont know how long u have used it or what, but please consider usering paper, figerglass, or HDPE only... Just my thoughts on this

(Just realized that was my 1000th post..lol)

Chris H
12-30-2011, 02:03 AM
That green stuff is PVC too.

indianahx
12-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Pvc is dangerous.....cardboard, fiberglass, HDPE only!

displayfireworks1
12-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Whitepyro

You did a great job creating your fireworks display. Thank you for taking the time to video and post it. I see a few members are upset you are talking about obtaining items “Under the Table”.
Unless any of us live in New Zealand we really do not know what pyrotechnic materials are readily available. We here in United States can buy all the fuse we want, other countries can buy electric match without a license. These things vary across the world.
Unless a member is posting specific names of people or companies selling him the pyrotechnic material illegally I would request we not tell anyone to stop posting comments on an open forum. I do not want to stop the flow of conversation too much. An example is here, a member picked up that Whitepyro is using a spoolette, he then tells us he can not purchase time fuse in New Zealand and has to overcome that by creating his own fuse. He also tells us he is buying Visco from “Under the Table” sources.
To summarize, please do not try to stop any member from posting comments on an open forum about fireworks or pyrotechnic activity in any country even if it is technically illegal. If a member feels someone has revealed something that will be major issue, please let me know and I will look into it. Looking at the knowledge base that is already posted on the discussion forums I personally have learned a lot about pyrotechnics in countries outside of United States, some is legal and some is not.

-There are groups operating in Australia making fireworks in a country where all fireworks activity is illegal.

-Fireworks are sold in China Town in San Francisco.

1.3 fireworks are smuggled across Europe from countries that more readily sell them

We heard from the youtube Pyro’s of the Netherlands, this a group most legitimate pyrotechnics people frown upon. I welcomed them to post.

We see that the Philippines is selling one hell of a illegal Triangle Cracker

We learned that many pyrotechnic laws across the world changed around that 2003 period most likely in response to terrorist activity and most likely influence from United States.
We now know that simple Visco fuse is illegal in many countries and a secondary market is meeting the fuse need.

If we start telling members not to post certain comments on an open forum, I do not see this as a direction I want the website to go. We should be encouraging comments not telling members not to make them.
Currently the only rule I try to strictly enforce is in regard to advertising. I need paid advertisers to run the website to keep it free for you the user

whitepyro
12-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Well said dave, most of that display is thanks to your videos and others. So please keep making them.

whitepyro
12-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Pvc is dangerous.....cardboard, fiberglass, HDPE only!

i can't obtain any pyro grade cardboard mortars or fibreglass and the only hdpe pipe there is ,is all coragated drainage pipe and these pipes are holding up pretty well apart from the salutes but please note that the mortar racks are perpendicular to the audience and are over 150m away and i am i safe distance away .

Chris H
12-31-2011, 03:21 AM
There is the old adage if you can't do it safely, you shouldn't be doing it at all. If you really must be using those horrific excuses for mortars you could at least bury them to near full depth.

whitepyro
12-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Just because im not using hdpe pipe doesn't mean i'm not being safe

Chris H
12-31-2011, 08:17 PM
No, because you're using PVC means you're not being safe.

whitepyro
01-02-2012, 02:15 AM
and i've been using pvc for 18months and there's been no casualties, so you can think what you like with your official regulations but i think i'm pretty safe.

indianahx
01-02-2012, 02:05 PM
There's nothing "official" about NOT using PVC. It's not a regulation and it's not a law. it's been PROVEN that when you have a shell destroy a PVC mortar that it's nothing but a shrapnel throwing device. Google PVC vs HDPE or PVC vs ANYTHING and no one on the planet will tell you that PVC is safe. 18 months with no casualties??? read the thread from the user who just said he's been shooting 3 years and just had his first blow-out. sure, no one has been hurt yet. no tube has been destroyed, yet. it's bound to happen. the more and more you shoot the moer likely it WILL happen.

it's obvious that you're going to keep doing it and not heed any kind of warning or advice so I'll post this for everyone else to read:

Check these links out if you're not already a member of the other forum
http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php/24657-Why-not-PVC

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php/5532-PVC-Rack-what-not-to-do

Be safe guys. Shoot responsibly. Hopefully more of you will speak up about this.

whitepyro
01-03-2012, 01:33 AM
yes there is no official regulations and yes i've had smaller pvc pipes blow but im never closer than 30m and i'm out of the shrapnels radius. if i could get hdpe pipe i would.

Chris H
01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I was talking to a friend from NZ the other night. I'd imagine (hope) you're fairly far out in the country side, but perhaps try looking for scrap pipe from sewer or gas line operations. The gas lines are regularly HDPE, and he mentioned he's found HDPE in several other places as well for other municipal piping operations. I also found a few places in NZ that sell fiberglass mortars, but I'm not sure if they sell to the public, at least without approved shooter training.

Cardboard mortars are everywhere. Try looking for shrink wrap cores for 2 and 3" shells, and carpet rolls for 4". Sometimes you get lucky and can find even larger sizes like 5 and 6" up through 8" as cores for other things.

indianahx
01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I googled "new Zealand mortar tubes". The 3rd link sends you to a company. Click on ANY HDPE product and it asks for country of destination....I chose the post code 7700 (yes, I actually did the quick research) and it listed the cost to send the HDPE international shipping. To say that you can't get HDPE is simply a lame effort at best. And this was just ONE company. I'm sure there are many more.

whitepyro
01-08-2012, 05:13 AM
Yes I am in the country side . You guys don't give up do you

displayfireworks1
01-09-2012, 01:47 AM
To Indianahx

This man whitepyro from New Zealand takes the time to make his own fireworks display improvising along the way because of obstacle’s he has to overcome in New Zealand , then he takes the time to video and post it. Then you criticize him for first “Posting information on an open forum“ then you shove all that safety reference material from the other website down on him. Then it continues with you telling him he is “lame” for not using HDPE.
Through my youtube channel I have firework friends all over the world that are making their way onto the forums. There are polite and proper ways to offer suggestions to someone. I cannot sit by and watch my foreign pyro friends be abused and ridiculed for what they are revealing to us. You have no idea what goes on in New Zealand and these other countries outside of United States. I am trying to run an international fireworks website. It cannot be done with an aggressive approach to people outside of United States.
You are one of a few members here trying to maintain membership on this forum and pyro universe. When I started this forum I said whoever is trying to do both is going to find it extremely difficult to separate the two. When I look at your last few post it has that pyro U philosophy to it. I do not want that here. I would also prefer that no one reference material from that website. As far as I am concerned whatever knowledge base exist on that website is contaminated with hatred and jealously. I would prefer we take the pyrotalk forums in a new direction that does not resemble the philosophy of any other website. We are going to hear from all sorts of pyro people on this forum from all over the world. Not everyone is going to be doing everything legal and perfect.
I am going to ban your account for three days because I do not want you to react on the forums out of anger. What happens after three days will be your decision.

Dave displayfireworks1