PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Clip Ignitors

BigMO
02-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Well this will be the first year that we will be using these type of ignitors. I have watch Dave's videos on these and was impressed that all items were fired. Does anyone on here have some experiences with these and could give some tips?

PKMF
02-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Well this will be the first year that we will be using these type of ignitors. I have watch Dave's videos on these and was impressed that all items were fired. Does anyone on here have some experiences with these and could give some tips?

I have used these Talon igniters for a couple years. They work very well. As long as you are careful when you install them not to break the nicrome wire they work every time. Also I tape the igniter to the cake and then also tape the wire to the cake as an add per-caution in case someone trips over the wire. I will pm you a video of how to install.

Catfish25p2000
03-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I have had the best luck using the grey paper fuse with these. It is VERY easy to ignite, and is VERY fast. I cut a 3" piece and zip tie it to the fuse. 100% success.

Pyro Nation
03-01-2011, 02:57 AM
I do exactly what Catfish does. Found this to work 100% of the time as well.

PKMF
03-02-2011, 08:03 PM
I have had great success with all kinds of Visco (Yellow, Green, Pink, Gray quick fuse). I didn't really matter Talons with lite it all. If you want faster ignition get the clip as close to the first tube as possible.

NOLApyro
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I just started using the Talons on New Years and I found that once you clip the ignitor to the fuse you shouldn't remove or slide it up the fuse. Otherwise the nichrome wire will surely break resulting in a misfire. I learned this the hard way.

pyrodude
03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
What is the reliability of these clip igniters? I know there a couple brands out there which one have people had the best luck with?

pyrodude
03-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I have used these Talon igniters for a couple years. They work very well. As long as you are careful when you install them not to break the nicrome wire they work every time. Also I tape the igniter to the cake and then also tape the wire to the cake as an add per-caution in case someone trips over the wire. I will pm you a video of how to install.

I would like to see the video as well

Pyro Nation
03-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I have used the talon's and the Falcon's. Just clipping straight to normal Visco I have had about 80% reliable. When using quick fuse to it. I have not had one fail yet

firecrackersam
03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Talons and Falcon's are the exact same product, just with a different name. I have had great success with them and haven't had a single one not ignite the fuse yet.

morrison2951
03-15-2019, 10:09 PM
What's the ideal talon wire length for the cheapo Chinese firing system modules that operate on AA batteries?

They usually ship with the too short 30cm length- can they handle 1M, 2M, 3M or longer?

Mattp
03-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Yes, i ran multiple on some cues last year.. dont know exactly how long.. but i extended them at least 10’

Big Worm
03-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Last year i also used a few with a cheap firing system. I had up to 3 - 7m on one cue. They worked fine. I use the Red Dragon clips from Pyroboom. IMO the wire inside those clips is the best on ive seen, it seems to me to be a little thicker and stay hot longer before it breaks. Just testing a 7m clip last year i think i was able to ignite it 3 or 4 times before it broke. This year im Using all MJG Initiators in my big show, but still ordered more talons just for easy setup when we are shooting for fun. Cheap and Easy!

Big Worm
03-16-2019, 10:37 AM
https://youtu.be/11USPwURaB8
Here's a vid from a fellow PT member. It may give you a better idea of what one of these little systems can handle.

morrison2951
03-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Thanks! Can't wait for the 4th!

hatsgoods
03-18-2019, 01:53 PM
What's the ideal talon wire length for the cheapo Chinese firing system modules that operate on AA batteries?

They usually ship with the too short 30cm length- can they handle 1M, 2M, 3M or longer?

i normally use the 3 meter wire lengths and i had 4 on 1 cue with brand new fresh batteries and all 4 went. i had two of the 5 meter lengths and had no issues. but like others said they should do 2 or 3 of the 7 meter lengths with out problems

joewad
03-18-2019, 03:16 PM
I have used the talon's and the Falcon's. Just clipping straight to normal Visco I have had about 80% reliable. When using quick fuse to it. I have not had one fail yet

Concur with Pyro Nation, I even double up the quick fuse from clip to fireworks visco with some of that "magic-tape".

PYRODAN
03-21-2019, 12:13 PM
"Leave the Talons and take the Firewires" IMHO.

morrison2951
03-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Firewires are definitely on my radar when all my talons are gone.

Robbro097
03-21-2019, 04:28 PM
I love and highly recommend the firewire initiator inserted directly in the lift charge theyr is nothing like pushing a button and seeing instant ignition. Theyr will b no going back to talons afterward

Rick_In_Tampa
03-27-2019, 05:45 AM
I only used 3 talons in my show last year (to light the 236 finale mortars) and 2 of the 3 failed. So I still have 136 mortars in my garage that I need to figure out what to do with before this years show.

morrison2951
03-27-2019, 01:30 PM
Not good to hear about 2/3 of the talons having failed, but on the bright side you'll have one hell of a finale in your next show! (Assuming the talons work this time).

Rick_In_Tampa
03-27-2019, 11:41 PM
Yeah I was pretty pissed off to say the least. But.... It was more than an hour past shoot time and I was still wiring my show. So I decided at the last minute to use talons instead of my usual initiators on the finale mortar crates/rack. I always have my Cobra mods in talon mode for just such a situation, so there should have been enough juice to fire the talons.

I'm going to approach this years show differently so I won't have to worry about using any talons. I'm not a fan of them at all.