PDA

View Full Version : Shooting vintage firecracker packs

FinnAmerican1979
01-25-2020, 01:29 PM
Has anyone shot any old packs recently? How do they compare to modern firecrackers?
Brand names? Years of production?
Do you have an idea how much flash it contained...

halk
01-28-2020, 03:02 PM
Retail flashcrackers, maximum length 1 1/2", were 2 grainers till the 50 mg maximum was imposed in 1977. But you can't go by the simple DOT designation as the 50 mg notation was often not printed on the labels and some of the earlier brands used stickers that often fell off. Others switched to terms like "maximum load" and others during the 1997-1993 period. So if you want to be certain you have 2 grainers, you should look for Class 3 or Class 4 packs. During the Korean War (Class 2), the longer crackers were still sold legally at retail. I think the standard was about 2.5 grains for 1 5/8" and 3 grains for 1 3/4", but could be off a bit.

RalphieJ
01-28-2020, 05:50 PM
Halk, are you familiar with Buffalo Brand salutes, a red/white/blue wrapped cracker with a looped paper fuse, sold in Canada, in the '60's? Longer and fatter than 1 1/2 inch. Really good report. I got one hanging around here but I'll be darned if I can find it.

halk
01-29-2020, 09:24 PM
No that is new to me. Couldn't be flashcrackers as they never have been legal in Canada. Have seen U.S market 2" Buffalo brand, in Class 2, but don't have the label or a pack. These are the ones by Kwong Hing Tai with the yellow label showing only the head of a buffalo.

RalphieJ
01-31-2020, 01:26 PM
Halk, my bad. They were named "American Buffalo", 1 11/16" in length, made in Macau. I'm unable to post a photo of the label, I'll get my daughter to help me post one later.

RalphieJ
01-31-2020, 03:04 PM
Halk, my bad. They were named "American Buffalo", 1 11/16" in length, made in Macau. I'm unable to post a photo of the label, I'll get my daughter to help me post one later.

Wait, one label is for 1 11/16, the other is for 2" x 3/8", 10 per pack, made in Macau, by Kwong Hing Tai Firecracker Compamy. The cracker's wrapper was flag-like, white stars on a blue background, diagonal stripes (not parallel). Within the stars was a shield with 2" x 3/8" Flash (in cursive) SALUTE. Like I said the fuse was a grey paper loop ala Hitt's Flashcracka. They were most definitely flash powder, I thought I got them from Canada, I do recall having BP crackers from Canada as a kid.

halk
02-01-2020, 11:17 PM
Yes I have those. Mine is banded RWB, with the white in middle giving the cracker dimensions. Definitely not sold in Canada.