PDA

View Full Version : Display Permit Needed to shoot 1.4?!

Me,indypyro
01-22-2020, 10:35 AM
Hello All,
My question is if I were to be hired to do a public/ for money 1.4/1.4Pro shoot on rural land, which is where the venue is located. Do I need a Display Permit? No 1.3 will be involved.
I'm a Cobra user and have Dave's cert and I'm loving the Pro items available.
DHS website didn't seem to apply? Or did I miss something.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

displayfireworks1
01-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a private display not a public display.

topshelfpyro
01-22-2020, 11:06 AM
If you are getting paid to do a display no matter what products you are using you will be considered in commerce most likely. Your best bet is to contact your AHJ and ask. Asking for forgiveness instead of permission is not a good idea in these situations

Crush630
01-22-2020, 11:39 AM
If its on private property your fine, if its on public property might need a permit, but first call the local FD and PD to see if you need a permit or not.

Me,indypyro
01-22-2020, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys!! I haven't formally been offered the gig... Just getting my ducks in a row for when they call. I purchased Dave's
ATF DVD the other day... taking that next step. Been doing backyard shows for long time and past couple years have been so enjoyable, especially since Cobra came into my life.
The shoot is on July4 at a winery off grid. I think I'll check with FD/PD and see what they require. I'll ask them if they have any volunteers on shoot day!

joed2323
01-22-2020, 12:41 PM
What exactly do you mean by rural land?
This land is privately owned by the land owner correct?

Chances are there is no zoning in place for this.

I pretty much did something very similar this past year. Shot the show on some land owners property.
We did make sure we had insurance in place for the property.

We even had the rural fire department come out with a brush truck and a small fire crew in place. Fire extinguishers at hand as well.

Just because you are hired to do the show doesnt mean your getting payed to do the show unless their is documented proof that you are making money off of the show.

We even had a board meeting the week before the show to make the concerned neighbors more at ease. Stated who I was, what class of fireworks I was shooting. The board meeting went well and we definitely took the necessary steps to make sure we were not careless and dangerous.

I would highly suggest you talk to the town board committee and fire marshal.

Tell them everything you plan to shoot. We shot probably 10 fireballs. Fireballs are a grey area and most fire marshals have no clue what they are and what they are classified as. Fire Marshall's do not want to be surprised or lied to so just be honest, most are very understanding, especially in a rural area.

As long as you show proof that you are competent and know what your doing, have all your safety in place before the show even starts you should be ok.

We had the crowd area fenced off from the fireworks and so nobody could wonder off and move closer to the fireworks. Make sure you have your neccessary distances between fireworks and crowd and or structures/woods etc.
You can never be too safe

Me,indypyro
01-22-2020, 01:02 PM
What exactly do you mean by rural land?
This land is privately owned by the land owner correct?

Chances are there is no zoning in place for this.

I pretty much did something very similar this past year. Shot the show on some land owners property.
We did make sure we had insurance in place for the property.

We even had the rural fire department come out with a brush truck and a small fire crew in place. Fire extinguishers at hand as well.

Just because you are hired to do the show doesnt mean your getting payed to do the show unless their is documented proof that you are making money off of the show.

We even had a board meeting the week before the show to make the concerned neighbors more at ease. Stated who I was, what class of fireworks I was shooting. The board meeting went well and we definitely took the necessary steps to make sure we were not careless and dangerous.

I would highly suggest you talk to the town board committee and fire marshal.

Tell them everything you plan to shoot. We shot probably 10 fireballs. Fireballs are a grey area and most fire marshals have no clue what they are and what they are classified as. Fire Marshall's do not want to be surprised or lied to so just be honest, most are very understanding, especially in a rural area.

As long as you show proof that you are competent and know what your doing, have all your safety in place before the show even starts you should be ok.

We had the crowd area fenced off from the fireworks and so nobody could wonder off and move closer to the fireworks. Make sure you have your neccessary distances between fireworks and crowd and or structures/woods etc.
You can never be too safe

Wow!! Thanks a ton with all that info. It's nice having you(those with experience) to share! It's like you were reading my mind on the safety aspect of this...which is Most important to me. Keeping angles and distance in mind for sure