PDA

View Full Version : Tannerite cakes

bingsbaits
12-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Have shot a few Tannerite targets and understand the only way to set them off is with a 2000 ftps rifle bullet.. How do they get the tannerite to go off in the cakes when it reaches altitude ????

Rick_In_Tampa
12-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Here's a good article that tells you how it works.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samlemonick/2016/09/19/the-science-of-tannerite-the-explosive-possibly-used-in-the-chelsea-bombs/#1b15cc882739

Rick_In_Tampa
12-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Crap... Never mind. I totally misread your post. You're asking about the cakes not the targets. My bad.

I'm on the Tannerite site now and it says something that makes no sense to me. Probably written by a lawyer.

It says, "any products that are electric fired must have extension lead-lines attached to the existing leg-wires."

What the hell does that mean?

joewad
12-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Is their a tannerite cake seller here on the board?

PyroKing31
12-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Kneppy's Fireworks in PA stocks them.

displayfireworks1
12-05-2019, 09:48 PM
I believe the OP assumes the Tannerite cakes contain the same composition as the targets. They do not. The cake composition is completely different than the exploding targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XfbK7ueyg

RalphieJ
12-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Holy crap!

bingsbaits
12-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Thanks Dave, that was my assumption...

Fulliautomatix
12-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Has anyone ever tried their "Siege Cannon" canisters? They are 1.75" shells, and appear to be packaged like most other reloadables in 24 piece kits.

https://www.tanneriteexplosives.com/product/tannerite-siege-cannon-artillery-shells-pallet-buy/

joewad
12-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Has anyone ever tried their "Siege Cannon" canisters? They are 1.75" shells, and appear to be packaged like most other reloadables in 24 piece kits.

https://www.tanneriteexplosives.com/product/tannerite-siege-cannon-artillery-shells-pallet-buy/

Would love to see a demo or in person

PyroKing31
12-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Would love to see a demo or in person

I am with you there

Birdman
12-07-2019, 01:12 AM
Dave, is your AP cert course good enough to get me some M-25's? I Don't see tanneriteexplosives.com listed as one of the distributors of AP's that accept your cert?

displayfireworks1
12-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Your in PA talk to Kneppy. She may have what you want.

joewad
12-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Wish Casabella or Nite Lites Little China would pick up on distributing tannerite products. Hey Jerry or Eddie can you hear me? :)

jknepp1954
12-10-2019, 07:20 AM
Your in PA talk to Kneppy. She may have what you want.

YES - we do have a small supply of both the 25 sh M25 Airburst.....And the new 100 sh
We DO NOT handle the shooting target items

Robbro097
12-10-2019, 05:49 PM
YES - we do have a small supply of both the 25 sh M25 Airburst.....And the new 100 sh
We DO NOT handle the shooting target items

What are your requirements for purchase of those tannerite cakes? I have completed daves AP certificate.

displayfireworks1
12-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Please handle the finer details of purchasing through PM. Now gas up the car and drive to Kneppys.

jknepp1954
12-11-2019, 06:56 AM
What are your requirements for purchase of those tannerite cakes? I have completed daves AP certificate.

PM sent to you!

Rick_In_Tampa
12-16-2019, 10:23 PM
I woke up today and had 4 cases of tannerite cakes sitting in my living room!! Woo hoo!! Going to be a great 4th of July 2020!!

PyroJoeNEPA
12-17-2019, 12:36 PM
Crap... Never mind. I totally misread your post. You're asking about the cakes not the targets. My bad.

I'm on the Tannerite site now and it says something that makes no sense to me. Probably written by a lawyer.

It says, "any products that are electric fired must have extension lead-lines attached to the existing leg-wires."

What the hell does that mean?

Scab wire is your friend! What they are basically saying is that you can not just press the battery contacts to the existing ematch wire leads to ignite the cake. This does not mean that you can not connect the existing ematch wire into a slat , rail, module, etc. Yes, it does sound like it was written by a lawyer.

Rick_In_Tampa
12-17-2019, 04:30 PM
I'm so confused... I haven't opened the cases yet, but are you saying these cakes are already pre-matched? So all I need to do is wire them into a firing module?

Birdman
12-17-2019, 09:18 PM
I'm so confused... I haven't opened the cases yet, but are you saying these cakes are already pre-matched? So all I need to do is wire them into a firing module?

That appears to be the case from watching Dave's video (video will start where he discuses how its fused):

https://youtu.be/Q7XfbK7ueyg?t=170

Rick_In_Tampa
12-18-2019, 04:34 PM
I just saw that. Very cool.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-19-2019, 07:01 PM

Yes!!! And I doubt that you could have 4 in your possession in December--and have the same four cakes left by July 4th!! Come, on Rick----just one-----you have to light just one....... ROFL. And so it begins!!!

displayfireworks1
12-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Come on Rick, haven't you been watching my videos? You should know what to do with these Tannerite cakes. LOL

tcfire
01-02-2020, 10:29 AM
yes dave's ap certificate will work. I have purchased the m-25 air bursts direct from them

edspen1
01-15-2020, 08:03 PM
i can buy Tannerite cakes at Profireworks in Michigan

Rick_In_Tampa
01-16-2020, 04:55 PM
Yes!!! And I doubt that you could have 4 in your possession in December--and have the same four cakes left by July 4th!! Come, on Rick----just one-----you have to light just one....... ROFL. And so it begins!!!

Not sure why it's taken me a month to see this, but I apologize for the late response.

I actually still have 2 cases in the garage and I'm supposed to be getting two more when my buddy orders some. Believe it or not I had every intention of going home and setting 1 off for NYE. When I got home from work around 11:30, the entire neighborhood was quiet as a church mouse. First time in DECADES that's been the case. So I just said eff-it and I went to bed. I should have done it anyway. Some ass-hat that lives behind me waited until 1am to start shooting off mortars. That went on for an hour and a half before he finally stopped (or ran out).

I placed an order today for some Dominator stuff from AWF, and tomorrow I'm pulling the trigger on the bulk of my order from SO76. So I should be waist deep in pyro here shortly. I'm going to have to send something up just to get some smoke back in the lungs to motive me to start scripting my show. I'm so far behind this year.... Ug....

Rick_In_Tampa
01-16-2020, 04:56 PM
Come on Rick, haven't you been watching my videos? You should know what to do with these Tannerite cakes. LOL

Lol... Oh yeah. That's the problem! I do know what to do with them. I told the wife if this doesn't get me thrown in jail this year, then I just don't think it's possible to get tossed in the clink in Florida. At least not over fireworks. But I'm willing to risk it!!

Rick_In_Tampa
01-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Not sure why it's taken me a month to see this, but I apologize for the late response.

I actually still have 2 cases in the garage and I'm supposed to be getting two more when my buddy orders some. Believe it or not I had every intention of going home and setting 1 off for NYE. When I got home from work around 11:30, the entire neighborhood was quiet as a church mouse. First time in DECADES that's been the case. So I just said eff-it and I went to bed. I should have done it anyway. Some ass-hat that lives behind me waited until 1am to start shooting off mortars. That went on for an hour and a half before he finally stopped (or ran out).

I placed an order today for some Dominator stuff from AWF, and tomorrow I'm pulling the trigger on the bulk of my order from SO76. So I should be waist deep in pyro here shortly. I'm going to have to send something up just to get some smoke back in the lungs to motive me to start scripting my show. I'm so far behind this year.... Ug....

P.S. You're a bad influence Joe! That's one of the things I like about you!! :cool: