PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Fireworks Firing System Black Friday Sale 2019

displayfireworks1
11-25-2019, 09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RluZbiLRvNs
https://www.cobrafiringsystems.com/

Cobra is offering a discounted starter package for every module and configuration. If you, or anyone you know, has been waiting for the right time to jump into COBRA, this is it! This promotion is limited to new customers only, as well as limited to one package per customer.

357pyro
11-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this deal Dave. I am a new customer and plan on taking advantage of the discount! I am thinking I am going to start with the 18R2 and two 18M modules w the quick plugs. I like the idea of being able to use the Cat5 cables with the slats to extend the reach and not have to use scab wire. Do you have any experience with that type of setup on the Cobra? f I know what you are using now has the onboard queues.

displayfireworks1
11-26-2019, 01:42 PM
I have had those same 3 modules for years. They dont even match. LOL lts so people can see what different options look like. It has been meeting my needs. I do not have any of the Cobra cables. One day I may have to give them a try

Birdman
11-26-2019, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this deal Dave. I am a new customer and plan on taking advantage of the discount! I am thinking I am going to start with the 18R2 and two 18M modules w the quick plugs. I like the idea of being able to use the Cat5 cables with the slats to extend the reach and not have to use scab wire. Do you have any experience with that type of setup on the Cobra? f I know what you are using now has the onboard queues.

I'm doing the same. I'm going with the 18R2 Pro remote because it supports scripting. That's the main reason I want a Cobra system. I want to be able to press a couple of buttons and enjoy my show with the others.

357pyro
11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Birdman, are you going to go with the quick plugs or the onboard queues? There just doesnt seem to be a lot of info out on the quickplug/cat5 setup yet. I want to me able to run up to 150' of Cat5 to a slat to be able to have the flexibility of moving those 6 queues farther away from the module. I just don't know what the maximum length cable you can run to the slats. I think if i could do this is would be one less 18M I would need to buy.

Birdman
11-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Birdman, are you going to go with the quick plugs or the onboard queues? There just doesnt seem to be a lot of info out on the quickplug/cat5 setup yet. I want to me able to run up to 150' of Cat5 to a slat to be able to have the flexibility of moving those 6 queues farther away from the module. I just don't know what the maximum length cable you can run to the slats. I think if i could do this is would be one less 18M I would need to buy.

I'm going with onboard cues. I have no need for slats right now. If/when I want to use slats I will purchase the Quickplug Cue Strip for 18M and replace the onboard cues (1-6, 7-12 and/or 13-18) with the Quickplug Cue Strips as needed and use 6S Slat(s). My thinking is this will ultimately give me the option to use either at little additional cost down the road. You can easily swap out the onboard cues with quickplug cues and vice versa. If you're purchasing 6S slats now then you may want to go with the Quickplug cues to start off with. The reason I want onboard cues is because I already have MJG's without quickplugs and it seems easier to wire in parallel. For less than $50 more I can have both at my disposable. I just need to swap them out as needed.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-27-2019, 07:15 PM
357pyro - E-mail Scott at Cobra and ask him. He will likely get back to you in a few minutes.

ssmith@cobra.com is his e-mail address.

357pyro
11-27-2019, 09:09 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the feedback.

357pyro
11-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Good suggestion Rick. I will definitely do that.

Birdman
11-28-2019, 03:40 PM
So this slat talk had me taking a closer look at slats. So each type of slat comes in either parallel or series. I understand wiring igniters in either parallel or series but I'm confused about the difference when it comes to slats. I assume this determines how the slats are wired. My best guess is that you would only use parallel slats if your using talons. Is this correct? I guess where I'm getting hung up is that I assume a cue is a cue and I can wire my igniters to any cue in a slat in either parallel or series. But now I'm starting wonder if I get a series slat and decide to wire my igniters in parallel to a slat cue will it work? I suspect the answer is going to be always use series slats and always wire igniters (other than talons) in series and no need to worry about the rest. However, I prefer to wire in parallel where I can....its just easier.

And while I'm at it, I've been wondering how does one time breaks. For example if I want a shell to break at a certain part of a soundtrack I have to account for the time of the fuse and then the time of the lift before it breaks. I have seen videos on how to direct match into the lift charge. That takes the fuse out of the equation. But is there a standard time for the lift (i.e. standard length of time fused used in consumer shells) or do I need to time the lift for each type of shell I use? I couldn't find anything about the lift times searching the web. Also if wanted to use the fuse is there a reliable way to get the timing right without wiring right into the lift charge? I'd rather avoid having to wire into the lift charge just because I feel its safer not having to modify the shells but if this allows for more accurate timing I will.

Happy Turkey Day All!

357pyro
11-28-2019, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=Birdman;62743]So this slat talk had me taking a closer look at slats. So each type of slat comes in either parallel or series. I understand wiring igniters in either parallel or series but I'm confused about the difference when it comes to slats. I assume this determines how the slats are wired. My best guess is that you would only use parallel slats if your using talons. Is this correct? I guess where I'm getting hung up is that I assume a cue is a cue and I can wire my igniters to any cue in a slat in either parallel or series. But now I'm starting wonder if I get a series slat and decide to wire my igniters in parallel to a slat cue will it work? I suspect the answer is going to be always use series slats and always wire igniters (other than talons) in series and no need to worry about the rest. However, I prefer to wire in parallel where I can....its just easier.

And while I'm at it, I've been wondering how does one time breaks. For example if I want a shell to break at a certain part of a soundtrack I have to account for the time of the fuse and then the time of the lift before it breaks. I have seen videos on how to direct match into the lift charge. That takes the fuse out of the equation. But is there a standard time for the lift (i.e. standard length of time fused used in consumer shells) or do I need to time the lift for each type of shell I use? I couldn't find anything about the lift times searching the web. Also if wanted to use the fuse is there a reliable way to get the timing right without wiring right into the lift charge? I'd rather avoid having to wire into the lift charge just because I feel its safer not having to modify the shells but if this allows for more accurate timing I will.

Happy Turkey Day All![/QUOTE

When it comes to the slats being series or parallel my understanding is it has to do with adding additional slats connected to the first. So queue 1 on the first slat would fire the same time as queue 1 on the second slat. The slats all have a pass through connector on them to feed the next additional slat. So it’s they are series slats I think you would be able to run more of them and more matches. Parallel slats may limit the number of matches and slats that can be fired reliably. I hope that makes sense.

As far as the timing questions. That is best dealt with using the cobra software that they sell for the 18R2. There are tons of videos on YouTube on how to use it to solve the exact issues you are speaking of. They even have a library of fuse/lift times for consumer and display fireworks.

cptnding
11-28-2019, 10:18 PM
They even have a library of fuse/lift times for consumer and display fireworks.

Sounds interesting. Where can I find this?

Birdman
11-28-2019, 10:30 PM
When it comes to the slats being series or parallel my understanding is it has to do with adding additional slats connected to the first. So queue 1 on the first slat would fire the same time as queue 1 on the second slat. The slats all have a pass through connector on them to feed the next additional slat. So it’s they are series slats I think you would be able to run more of them and more matches. Parallel slats may limit the number of matches and slats that can be fired reliably. I hope that makes sense.

As far as the timing questions. That is best dealt with using the cobra software that they sell for the 18R2. There are tons of videos on YouTube on how to use it to solve the exact issues you are speaking of. They even have a library of fuse/lift times for consumer and display fireworks.

OK...I get the difference in the slats now and how it changes the number of slats/matches you can fire at one time. I found this in the 18R2 user guide which appears to answer your original question. RJ45 typically has 22 gauge wires so these numbers shouldn't change.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4607&stc=1

As far as timing shells, I plan on eventually purchasing the show creator software. I guess I should hold off asking questions until I get to play with it myself. I did watch several of the videos . I forget to mention using quick match or gray fuse instead of the visco, so I am aware of that option. But now I'm wondering how that could throw off what's built into the show creator library. I think I will find the answers when I get a closer look at show creator.

Birdman
11-28-2019, 10:50 PM
RJ45 typically has 22 gauge wires so these numbers shouldn't change.

After looking this up it appears 24 gauge may be standard. Not sure how that changes things. Seem there's always more questions than answers.

MontanaMike
11-29-2019, 03:13 AM
It's very difficult to time consumer products. If you start two identical cakes at the exact same instant, even using MJG Initiators or e-match, before the cakes are done, they'll probably not be synchronized any longer unless you get lucky. So, I like to place the "beginning" of my cakes at certain hit points in the music, and from there on it's just a matter of the cakes playing out.

As for individual shells.... rather than putting initiators into all the shells, I replace the fuses with fast fuse, chain them all together, leaving one fuse to light the whole row of shells. Then I connect one initiator to the "master" fuse for each row of shells. Since I mostly use shells for our finale, timing isn't such an issue -- I just want 'em to go up pretty close to the same time, and since you never know how long a piece of visco is going to burn, using the fast fuse gets the job done in about 1.5 seconds.

If you are thinking about cakes that have aerial bursts (as opposed to mines), for those I figure on about 1.2 seconds for the initial lift. It's pretty close most of the time.

357pyro
11-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Sounds interesting. Where can I find this?

Check out this YouTube video I think it will explain a Lot https://youtu.be/micrquxWebw

Birdman
11-29-2019, 10:15 AM
It's very difficult to time consumer products. If you start two identical cakes at the exact same instant, even using MJG Initiators or e-match, before the cakes are done, they'll probably not be synchronized any longer unless you get lucky. So, I like to place the "beginning" of my cakes at certain hit points in the music, and from there on it's just a matter of the cakes playing out.

As for individual shells.... rather than putting initiators into all the shells, I replace the fuses with fast fuse, chain them all together, leaving one fuse to light the whole row of shells. Then I connect one initiator to the "master" fuse for each row of shells. Since I mostly use shells for our finale, timing isn't such an issue -- I just want 'em to go up pretty close to the same time, and since you never know how long a piece of visco is going to burn, using the fast fuse gets the job done in about 1.5 seconds.

If you are thinking about cakes that have aerial bursts (as opposed to mines), for those I figure on about 1.2 seconds for the initial lift. It's pretty close most of the time.

I was mostly wondering about 60g consumer shells. Best I can tell watching and timing videos of different shells, they all seem to have about a 3 second lift time. With cakes I'm syncing with the first tube and the rest is up to luck, like you said. Although the next time I'm going to wire each row in my fan cakes individually for more accuracy going forward.

On a side note, I ordered my cobra system today!

Crush630
12-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Can't wait for my Cobra system to be delivered :)

Birdman
12-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Can't wait for my Cobra system to be delivered :)

Same here!

In case anyone missed it, they are offering the Black Friday Sale prices today for Cyber Monday.

Rick_In_Tampa
12-02-2019, 07:13 PM
Oh snap! Looks like Scott just added two more to his retirement fund. Lol...

Congrats guys. You will be very happy with your purchase. Looking forward to seeing your show video.

esgrillo
12-02-2019, 11:51 PM
Like Rick says... enjoy. You will be afflicted. Regarding the slats, I have a lot. Parallel slats are recommended by cobra if you plan on using the onboard cues at the same time (assuming the mod has them). The onboard cues are wired in parallel to the slat output so that is the recommended type. If you dont plan on using the onboard or the mod does not have them, get series as you will have more capacity. You will need a shunt at the end of the series run however and those are supplied by Cobra.

I just bought a 36m without onboard and 3 series slats & the 25 cables slats to go with it so I have both kinds. Also as your show grows and you expand into single shot racks, slats are huge time savers because you can install a slat on a comet rack and wire the entire rack in advance and just plug it in when you get to your shoot site. When you get high cue counts you will look for ways to simplify set up day as much as possible. We all have nightmare stories for set up day lol.

Also I did not start buying slats until I had a good supply of mods. Mods give you more flexibility for your show vs slats but slats get cost per cue down a lot.

357pyro
12-03-2019, 12:33 PM
After exchanging emails with Scott I was able to get my order completed and Im really happy with how it went. I am get the 18R2 remote and (3) 18M mods. They were kind enough to swap out one bank of my cues for the quick plug so I can run the S6 slat on each of my modules for a little more flexibility. I cant wait to get the system and start playing around with it.

Rick_In_Tampa
12-03-2019, 06:50 PM
I chickened out and only bought enough slats and quick plug conversion strips to convert 6 of my 12 mods. That should give me enough cues to free up 6 mods. That's huge. Looking forward to getting the parts in hand so I can start converting the mods and do some testing.

Ed - Do you use CAT5 cables or DB25 cables? If you use CAT5 is it the STP or UTP? I'm wondering if STP would be better??

topshelfpyro
12-03-2019, 06:58 PM
I chickened out and only bought enough slats and quick plug conversion strips to convert 6 of my 12 mods. That should give me enough cues to free up 6 mods. That's huge. Looking forward to getting the parts in hand so I can start converting the mods and do some testing.

Ed - Do you use CAT5 cables or DB25 cables? If you use CAT5 is it the STP or UTP? I'm wondering if STP would be better??

Rick - if you go with cat5- STP is shielded twisted pair vs UTP unshielded twisted pair. Considering the cable is only used to send a current and not any type of communications (like in a wi/fi router) the UTP is sufficient and cheaper. monoprice is a great source for cat (whatever) cable get the stranded 24ga pure copper stuff if you go with cat cable. (Disclaimer: I don't use cobra but I do use firetek which is exclusively cat cable to slats)

esgrillo
12-03-2019, 07:20 PM

Rick, I only plan one long run with 14 mini slats I purchased so I am going to use CAT6 UTP for it. My understanding is that the shielding does not help for this kind of application and is not necessary. CAT6 is 23 AWG vis the 24 for CAT5 so that should help a bit.

357pyro
12-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Rick, I only plan one long run with 14 mini slats I purchased so I am going to use CAT6 UTP for it. My understanding is that the shielding does not help for this kind of application and is not necessary. CAT6 is 23 AWG vis the 24 for CAT5 so that should help a bit.

Are you sure all Cat6 is 23AWG? I’ve been researching that and it doesn’t seem to always be the case.

esgrillo
12-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Are you sure all Cat6 is 23AWG? I’ve been researching that and it doesn’t seem to always be the case.

Yes, I have seen the same. I believe it has better construction and is pretty much the industry standard and pretty cheap so I plan on using it. I do understand just make sure whatever you use is solid copper and not CCA

357pyro
12-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Yes, I have seen the same. I believe it has better construction and is pretty much the industry standard and pretty cheap so I plan on using it. I do understand just make sure whatever you use is solid copper and not CCA

Do you think it matters if the wire is stranded or solid? I know on shooting wire you dont want it to be stranded. I found a good price on some but they stranded. Cant find anything with 23awg solid copper that isnt stranded. I have found some in bulk like 1000' rolls, really looking for 75 foot lengths with the RJ45 connectors already on them.

Rick_In_Tampa
12-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping to be able to get 100' lengths of wire to spread out my show a little. I was just worried about signal strength issues. I know normally 300' is the distance limitation for networks. How that translates to Cobra firing systems..... No idea.

topshelfpyro
12-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Do you think it matters if the wire is stranded or solid? I know on shooting wire you dont want it to be stranded. I found a good price on some but they stranded. Cant find anything with 23awg solid copper that isnt stranded. I have found some in bulk like 1000' rolls, really looking for 75 foot lengths with the RJ45 connectors already on them.

Go to monoprice and get the premade cables in whatever length you need. Plain cat5 stranded 24ga pure copper PATCH cables (not a crossover cable). You can get cat6 or 7 or 8 if you want to, doesn't matter, the important thing is 24ga pure copper wires.

Stranded cables will last longer and be less prone to wire breakage under rolling/unwilling than solid.

topshelfpyro
12-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping to be able to get 100' lengths of wire to spread out my show a little. I was just worried about signal strength issues. I know normally 300' is the distance limitation for networks. How that translates to Cobra firing systems..... No idea.

Not about signal strength like a network. Your only sending an electrical current like plugging in a power plug. No "data" is being sent. What you will want to do is use 24v or so especially with long cable runs. Get a 6s (22v nominal) Lipo hobby battery as an external supply and you should have no problems running a few hundred feet.

357pyro
12-04-2019, 11:18 PM
Go to monoprice and get the premade cables in whatever length you need. Plain cat5 stranded 24ga pure copper PATCH cables (not a crossover cable). You can get cat6 or 7 or 8 if you want to, doesn't matter, the important thing is 24ga pure copper wires.

Stranded cables will last longer and be less prone to wire breakage under rolling/unwilling than solid.

So stranded might be better after all. Thanks for the info. I?m going to do a test w the 75 foot cables running the internal lipo battery on the mods and see how it performs. I?ll make a post about it when I do. Scott from cobra thought I should be fine to run up to 6 matches in parallel w that setup.

topshelfpyro
12-05-2019, 05:36 AM
So stranded might be better after all. Thanks for the info. I?m going to do a test w the 75 foot cables running the internal lipo battery on the mods and see how it performs. I?ll make a post about it when I do. Scott from cobra thought I should be fine to run up to 6 matches in parallel w that setup.

Yea, 75' shouldn't be a problem with 14v. The longer runs or more matches per cue step it up to 24v and you should have no issues

Crush630
12-09-2019, 12:52 PM
What a great start to a Monday!!

Your COBRA Order has shipped!

357pyro
12-09-2019, 01:52 PM
What a great start to a Monday!!

Your COBRA Order has shipped!

Not so patiently waiting on that same email to come lol

Rick_In_Tampa
12-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Not about signal strength like a network. Your only sending an electrical current like plugging in a power plug. No "data" is being sent. What you will want to do is use 24v or so especially with long cable runs. Get a 6s (22v nominal) Lipo hobby battery as an external supply and you should have no problems running a few hundred feet.

My Cobra firing modules all hav ethe li-po batteries, so I should be okay then. Thanks for the post!!

Rick_In_Tampa
12-09-2019, 09:08 PM
My box of goodies is supposed to be waiting on me when I get home tonight. Very excited!

Crush630
12-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Its like Christmas :)