PDA

View Full Version : 18M Quick Plug Testing - Low Cost Solution for Unlimited Firing Distance w/Mini Slats

esgrillo
11-11-2019, 12:30 AM
As a follow-up to an earlier video I did on the conversion of one of my 18ms to quick plugs here is a test we (Reed S and I) did to test the operation of a booster box he we designed (mostly him) and he built. I wanted to ring the retention pond behind my shoot site with mini slat firing positions every 50ft for the lowest cost possible. This is what we came up with.

The "black box" is a booster that has a 22.5v hobby battery in it and 6 relays. The regular firing signal from the 18m also activates the relay on that cue and "refires" the output from that black box using the 22.5v battery in it. It basically acts as another module that fires exactly at the same time as the original one. This set up extends the length and number of cues that you can fire with 18m to as many and as far as you want. In theory there is no limit. You just keep on adding black boxes and start a new slat group. With my 50 ft spacing I have been able to fire upwards of 8 matches spread on that ~300ft of wire. I also used a 22.5v hobby battery on the module itself to allow extra match capacity. The biggest drawback to this black box extender is that the circuits must be wired in parallel to work so that limits the number of matches you can fire and is the main reason for the higher voltage battery.

Of course you could do this with additional 18ms but this option is 1/8th the cost of an 18m and is well suited for my location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI5T3V1Oaxg