PDA

View Full Version : Cobra / Drone

rfgonzo
09-05-2019, 04:09 PM
I have a question over a show I did this Labor Day.
Is it possible for the Cobra firing system to interfere with the frequency from a drone? I hired a guy to film my firework show on Labor Day. 3 minutes into the show the Drone landed itself, the guy told me because it was picking up a bad signal from somewhere. I have no clue if this is true or not because I know nothing about drones. However before we started I do remember a guy that was with the guy that I hired say to him. You forgot to charge your batteries? So I'm assuming this is a battery issue and would like to know if the two systems can interfere with each other.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-05-2019, 04:59 PM
E-mail Scott Smith at Cobra and ask him. You'll likely get a response in about 5 min. ssmith@cobrafiringsystems.com

If you want to know about drones, PM Pyrotalk user Bazerk. He uses them in his shows, and he uses a Cobra system. Never heard him complain about them picking up a "bad signal" from somewhere.

Sounds to me like your drone guy is trying to pull a fast one.

rfgonzo
09-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Thanks for info.

displayfireworks1
09-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Your situation hiring someone with a drone should be a lesson for us all. If any of us ever contract with one of these drone operators. The contract needs to specify how long the device will be in the air and other details like duration of the video etc. I also believe the burden of proof is on him if he claims the Cobra wireless did something to interfere with the drone control. It all sounds like a BS story on the drone operators part.

rfgonzo
09-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Yes, Looks like it's drone operators error. Scott confirmed that the cobra has a very light 100mw signal. Lucky for me this guy didn't receive a penny from me.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-05-2019, 08:41 PM
As I suspected. The drone guy forgot to charge the batteries.

Hopefully he doesn't have the stones to come asking for money from you.

esgrillo
09-05-2019, 10:58 PM
Yup, I have used a drone for several years, a few of them I had 2 up at the same time. Any time there is a problem it is a drone/operator issue. The cobra system is way more reliable than drones and the pilots lol. Most can't fly the full length of a show so they always have to come down for a battery change if your show is at least 15 min.

rfgonzo
09-06-2019, 04:08 PM
As I suspected. The drone guy forgot to charge the batteries.

Hopefully he doesn't have the stones to come asking for money from you.

Oh Id give him his money, He won't like where I put it though. haha

rfgonzo
09-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Yup, I have used a drone for several years, a few of them I had 2 up at the same time. Any time there is a problem it is a drone/operator issue. The cobra system is way more reliable than drones and the pilots lol. Most can't fly the full length of a show so they always have to come down for a battery change if your show is at least 15 min.

next years 4th show will be 16 to 17 min, so I guess i'll need to buy and learn how to fly a drone or communicate better with the operator to make sure were on the same page.
Do you fly your own or hire someone?

esgrillo
09-06-2019, 07:56 PM
next years 4th show will be 16 to 17 min, so I guess i'll need to buy and learn how to fly a drone or communicate better with the operator to make sure were on the same page.
Do you fly your own or hire someone?

Gonzo, I have people that fly for me. I work out deals with pilots. All the homemade woodfired pizza, frozen margaritas, and beer they want in exchange for their services. ;)

Rick_In_Tampa
09-06-2019, 08:12 PM
Gonzo, I have people that fly for me. I work out deals with pilots. All the homemade woodfired pizza, frozen margaritas, and beer they want in exchange for their services. ;)

Holy crap!! Now he tells me! For that deal, I'd be happy to fly down there and fly a drone for your show. That would save me a whole lot of headaches.

Crush630
09-09-2019, 11:25 AM
It depends on the type of drones and what frequency's the cobra system or drone uses.