PDA

View Full Version : MJG initiators to visco

shonuff
08-23-2019, 12:30 PM
My apologies in advance if I am posting this is in the wrong forum. Since it relates to MJG initiators (which are generally used with Cobra systems), I thought this might be the right place.

Some hobbyist friends and I are putting on a *large* class C show in the near future. As in the past, we plan to use a cobra system and a mix of talons and initiators to fire the show.

I have a lot of experience with talons, but limited experience with the initiators. When I have used the initiators, I have either poked the product and put the initiator in the lift, or used one of the plastic "visco to initiator" connectors that MJG sells.

Unfortunately, we are in the position of not having time to poke the product, and not having enough (i.e., any) of the visco to initiator connectors. We will also not be able to obtain those connectors prior to the show.

So - question - is there a reliable way to connect an MJG initiator to visco without the plastic connector? I'm probably overthinking this and its just a matter of taping the initiator to the visco, but I would like to hear from someone who has done that in the past - and particularly to hear that the product can be fused in that manner and reliably fire.

Thanks in advance.

esgrillo
08-23-2019, 12:39 PM
My apologies in advance if I am posting this is in the wrong forum. Since it relates to MJG initiators (which are generally used with Cobra systems), I thought this might be the right place.

Some hobbyist friends and I are putting on a *large* class C show in the near future. As in the past, we plan to use a cobra system and a mix of talons and initiators to fire the show.

I have a lot of experience with talons, but limited experience with the initiators. When I have used the initiators, I have either poked the product and put the initiator in the lift, or used one of the plastic "visco to initiator" connectors that MJG sells.

Unfortunately, we are in the position of not having time to poke the product, and not having enough (i.e., any) of the visco to initiator connectors. We will also not be able to obtain those connectors prior to the show.

So - question - is there a reliable way to connect an MJG initiator to visco without the plastic connector? I'm probably overthinking this and its just a matter of taping the initiator to the visco, but I would like to hear from someone who has done that in the past - and particularly to hear that the product can be fused in that manner and reliably fire.

Thanks in advance.

If you can get some quick match take a small piece insert fuse in one end MJG in the other, zip tip/tape. Works 100% of the time

Robbro097
08-23-2019, 12:40 PM
If possible u can poke ur cakes ahead of time and stick piece of cheap masking tape over hole then on sight pop mjg thru cheap tape n tape w good. If u cant cut visco at an angle to expose more powder inside (i like wire cutters make it quick n ez) slip visco in2 shroud and tape to fuse good then tape to cake not as reliableas poking but the lions share will fire. If u can its best to use a more sensitive fuse like the grey fuse but the time ud spend doing that its quicker just to poke

Rick_In_Tampa
08-25-2019, 04:08 PM
Maybe I'm being dense here but I'm trying to figure out why you're not poking the cakes. In the time it takes to fumble with plastic connectors or taping the initiator to the visco, you can poke the cake and insert the initiator.

In any event... If you do decide to attach the initiator to the visco and you want to cut the visco to expose some fresh powder, I would use an anvil cutter, not wire cutters. Safer and just as effective.

https://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/Fuse-Cutter-27p11863.htm

joewad
08-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Maybe I'm being dense here but I'm trying to figure out why you're not poking the cakes. In the time it takes to fumble with plastic connectors or taping the initiator to the visco, you can poke the cake and insert the initiator.

In any event... If you do decide to attach the initiator to the visco and you want to cut the visco to expose some fresh powder, I would use an anvil cutter, not wire cutters. Safer and just as effective.

There is a particular time I do not poke but must use a fuse. I like to shoot cakes in mass, particularly for a close proximity finale. For example this year I "released" 4 cases of 100 shot thunder kings and 2 cases of battle of color. Each case of thunderkings were bundle 4 to 1 with a lead of fast fuse linking them together through the center of "block" . I did the same with the battle of color but since they are 12/1 each block was of 6. Leaving me with 4 shooting points, spaced enough to enjoy each. I use a sinlge ematch or initiator for each block that is fast fused. I started the battle of color first, waited 20 seconds then ripped the thunderkings. So they would finish approximately at the same time. There is no way to individually apply 1 initiator or ematch to each cake since they are bundled. By the way, even though I shoot a finale of 2.5 through 4 inch every year people want this close proximity finale which I finish with. This year I added 100 2 inch canister salutes in 25 shot milk crates at each station. In all, it makes for 2564 shots in approximately 45 seconds. Sorry no video, only memories.

esgrillo
08-26-2019, 08:52 AM

Very occasionally I have seen a cake that is not poke friendly. For example a Whacky Tobacky NOAB. I am pretty sure those cakes have a void space where the fuse goes into the first tube also on some strobes that have fuses on the top.

shonuff
08-27-2019, 01:17 AM

Primarily time related. We are doing a large class C show. Something like 200 cakes and 700 shells. Lots of different people donating product, so it won't all be on site until the day of the show. We also have a pretty short time (~5 hours) to set it up.

Also - I personally don't have a ton of experience poking cakes. So when I do so, I always take my time to make sure that I am doing it right, hit the lift, etc...

Was hoping that there was a simple answer here like "tape the initiator to the visco" but it sounds like that is a red herring.

Robbro097
08-27-2019, 09:33 AM
Primarily time related. We are doing a large class C show. Something like 200 cakes and 700 shells. Lots of different people donating product, so it won't all be on site until the day of the show. We also have a pretty short time (~5 hours) to set it up.

Also - I personally don't have a ton of experience poking cakes. So when I do so, I always take my time to make sure that I am doing it right, hit the lift, etc...

Was hoping that there was a simple answer here like "tape the initiator to the visco" but it sounds like that is a red herring.

Good luck hopefully u have a good group of helpers

Rick_In_Tampa
08-27-2019, 04:03 PM

I don't do it, but... I've read posts from people in here who say they just stick the shroud over the visco and tape it up and they have no issues lighting their cakes. If it was me, I would cross cut or at least angle cut the visco so there was some fresh powder present before I put the match shroud over it. In theory it should work just fine.

joewad
08-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Contrary to previous post I'm not to use Talons again. I just had a 50% failure in my close proximity finale. I had 2 cases of 100 shot Thunder Kings (8 cakes), 1 case of Battle Of Color (12 cakes) and 1-25 shot milk crate rack with 2 inch salutes just sit there and look not so pretty. Previous 2 years were 100% success. I shoot cases in blocks of 4 or 6 from 4 different shooting locations. A single point of ignition for 1 block is not possible. I lengthen each cake fuse with fast fuse then wrap and insert a lead fuse through the center of block. From now on I'll approach the same but use Dave's penny wrapper trick with cut up quick match and insert either an initiator or e-match. This little trick I learned from Dave and his video Extreme Backyard Fireworks..Part 1 of 5. For 1.4 users my guess is you could do the same but use crumbled pieces of fast fuse to insert your initiators into inside the penny wrapper. For those interested e-bay can be your friend for penny wrappers, just compare price, quantity and shipping.