PDA

View Full Version : polish 26.5 mm flare launcher

Robbro097
08-21-2019, 08:05 PM
Im not sure where to post this. Its not fireworks but certainly appeals to the pyro as well as firearms person in me. So cool i had to share im sure some people here should enjoy.I haven't shot yet but thinking of shooting some smoke rnds on laborday if i do ill most def share video. Was a spur of the moment "thats just too cool to pass up" purchase.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4424&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4425&stc=1

Arclight
08-21-2019, 11:45 PM
Awesome. Save the empty shells, as they can be reloaded. You remove the old primer with a punch, ream out the pocket with a drill so it will accept a #209 shotgun primer, and use 1" felt furniture gliders for wads. One inch breakers from a ~20 shot cake have been used successfully, as have small smoke tubes and similar novelty fireworks.

Robbro097
08-22-2019, 12:30 PM
Thats the plan itd become much more practical if i had fireworks shells for it wish i had uscg approved flares id take it with me on the boat im sure the coast guard would get a kick out of it when they board for inspection

PyroJoeNEPA
08-22-2019, 01:06 PM
That is an awesome looking "dispenser" you have there! Might I ask how expensive it was?

Robbro097
08-22-2019, 01:53 PM
Its pretty much the rest of my hobbies more than i should have but it sure is cool 1700$. I bought last fall and debated rather to share because it isnt a firework and some places r now selling over 2000 even 2500 if can find in stock so looks like i may have gotten lucky. I almost got a 37mm rotary flare launcher prob 10 yrs ago and i put it off and was kicking myself every since till this since most have been converted to atf registered destructive devices making flare nearly impossible to find and prob 3 times as much as it was when i had the chance. Im getting better on impulse buying but sometimes just gotta give in lol

Rick_In_Tampa
08-22-2019, 04:37 PM
Very nice! Almost looks like my VEPR-12 with the 25 round drum attached. Except you won't get arrested if you use yours on the 4th! Looking forward to seeing it in action!!

Robbro097
08-22-2019, 05:19 PM
I almost got a vepr a while back but ended up w a saga 12 lol. Actually where i shoot my fireworks is where i shoot my guns never had the sheriff show up for them but did for fireworks but i havent shot the 50 out theyr lol they showed up at my buddies up the road a ways when neighbors heard 50 and checked out his set up ran our names and said go ahead wish i had a setup like this. all the ppl shoot out that way we all have big dirt mounds for backstops good times. I dont wanna shoot any actual flare rnds in the air but think i might do like dave said and call the authorities and let them kno ill b exposing of some old flares its not by a body of water but that is technically illegal

AxeElf
08-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Nice, but I think you might be wrong about the country of origin.

If these were actually Polish flare launchers, the tubes would be pointing in the opposite direction.

Robbro097
08-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Lol my shop teacher used to do some polish arm wrestling w kids theyd grip hands and try and pull away and hed let go 1 time it worked perfect kid popped himself so hard in the mouth absolutley hilarious thanks for bringing back that memory axe.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-22-2019, 10:04 PM
I almost got a vepr a while back but ended up w a saga 12 lol. Actually where i shoot my fireworks is where i shoot my guns never had the sheriff show up for them but did for fireworks but i havent shot the 50 out theyr lol

The only .50 I have is my S&W 500. Scares the snot out of most folks when I take it to the range. I wish I had some property to play with it outside. I've got some 700gr rounds that I'm sure would do some fun things to a tree or two. The VEPR is a monster. Especially with the drum. Also very accurate with the cheap $50 red-dot sight I threw on it. Anyway...

Please post a picture/video of that new toy in action!! Looks like it's a lot of fun to shoot.

Robbro097
08-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Omg i couldn't imagine pushing 700grains out a handgun my hand hurts at the thought. If u get the chance shoot some clays with the vepr i kno the saga and 20rnd drum makes clay shooting even more fun. ( clays/skeet is my fav thing to shoot anyways) I def will post some video in next cpl weeks of flare launcher in action i had thought about soaking all my spent cakes w kerosene and shooting it with it to start fire but didn't wanna risk the flare just ricocheting in2 the woods or something

Arclight
08-29-2019, 12:13 AM
Thats the plan itd become much more practical if i had fireworks shells for it wish i had uscg approved flares id take it with me on the boat im sure the coast guard would get a kick out of it when they board for inspection

You can buy USCG flares that will fire out of this. They are expensive however:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/orion--25mm-high-performance-red-aerial-signal-pack--10258119

They should fit and function just fine. If they don't space correctly in the bore, you can slip a thin 1" o-ring over the case and seat it against the rim.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-29-2019, 05:52 PM
Omg i couldn't imagine pushing 700grains out a handgun my hand hurts at the thought. If u get the chance shoot some clays with the vepr i kno the saga and 20rnd drum makes clay shooting even more fun. ( clays/skeet is my fav thing to shoot anyways) I def will post some video in next cpl weeks of flare launcher in action i had thought about soaking all my spent cakes w kerosene and shooting it with it to start fire but didn't wanna risk the flare just ricocheting in2 the woods or something

You are 110% right. Shooting a 700gr round out of a handgun is no damn fun at all. It's definitely a wrist breaker. I normally shoot the 350gr rounds, and I'm good for maybe 10 rounds before it's time to quit. I don't shoot skeet. Don't have the patience to be chasing clay targets. Although, I'm sure it would raise a few eyebrows if I showed up with a VEPR and a 25 round drum. lol... Definitely looking forward to seeing the flare launcher in action. If you can mange to start a cake fire with it, all the better! :cool:

Robbro097
08-29-2019, 06:39 PM
You can buy USCG flares that will fire out of this. They are expensive however:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/orion--25mm-high-performance-red-aerial-signal-pack--10258119

They should fit and function just fine. If they don't space correctly in the bore, you can slip a thin 1" o-ring over the case and seat it against the rim.

That looks a bit rich to have some fun w the cg. Lol i also get nervous bout shooting anything dif caliber mayb if it was a single shot and didnt have to pass from cylinder to barrel.

Robbro097
08-29-2019, 06:50 PM
You are 110% right. Shooting a 700gr round out of a handgun is no damn fun at all. It's definitely a wrist breaker. I normally shoot the 350gr rounds, and I'm good for maybe 10 rounds before it's time to quit. I don't shoot skeet. Don't have the patience to be chasing clay targets. Although, I'm sure it would raise a few eyebrows if I showed up with a VEPR and a 25 round drum. lol... Definitely looking forward to seeing the flare launcher in action. If you can mange to start a cake fire with it, all the better! :cool:

The heaviest round i shot is i think 650 ap. But it is moving around 3000fps feel it in shoulder real good,. Im planning on shooting at least a few smoke on sunday. I had to make a day to have some fun everytime i go out to my property its just been to work lately got it to have fun but just 1 project after another lol.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-29-2019, 07:44 PM
The heaviest round i shot is i think 650 ap. But it is moving around 3000fps feel it in shoulder real good,. Im planning on shooting at least a few smoke on sunday. I had to make a day to have some fun everytime i go out to my property its just been to work lately got it to have fun but just 1 project after another lol.

If you really want to feel some pain try a Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine. 7.62x54R round. Kicks like a friggin mule and blows out a fireball that's damned impressive! I don't shoot it often but when I do, I always put a rolled up towel between the butt-stock and my shoulder.

Speaking of having some fun... I just picked up the new Springfield 911 .380. Haven't shot it yet but I need to. All that PGI powder is wearing off. Time to replenish! :cool:

Arclight
08-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Those flares don't recoil that badly. The payload is 300-750grains, but it's only going about 350fps. The pistol version feels about like a 357 magnum if shooting the larger smoke or parachute rounds. If you can get your hands on an RV-85, that's the best 26.5mm flare launcher for testing. The factory rounds have around 15-20grains of BP as a lift charge.

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1026

Rick_In_Tampa
08-29-2019, 08:14 PM
Wow... Based on that article it sounds like that thing is a ton of fun. Or trouble. lol... I'm getting too old for that much thinking. I'm more of a point and click kind of guy at this point. My two daughters would love that thing though.

Arclight
08-29-2019, 08:26 PM
By the way, if anyone knows of a cake or one-shot device with a 1" diameter parachute flare, I'd love to know where to get it.

Robbro097
08-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Depending on how much fun i have with this i may look in2 an experimental launcher like that. I can definitely relate to the title.

Robbro097
08-29-2019, 08:49 PM
If you really want to feel some pain try a Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine. 7.62x54R round. Kicks like a friggin mule and blows out a fireball that's damned impressive! I don't shoot it often but when I do, I always put a rolled up towel between the butt-stock and my shoulder.

Speaking of having some fun... I just picked up the new Springfield 911 .380. Haven't shot it yet but I need to. All that PGI powder is wearing off. Time to replenish! :cool:

I have a standard mosin i picked up yrs ago and a ton of surplus ammo my local gunshop had for dirt cheap. I actually really like how it shoots (once you get used to trigger) for a 100$ rifle really fun and accurate. The 50bmg is a 5 round side mag fed ar upper on standard lower. Its really pretty light for 50 wouldn't mind it being another 5 or 10lbs heavier to help absorb some recoil i dont care as much for the thumping as i used to.

Arclight
08-30-2019, 03:13 PM
My worst hands-down is the Thompson-Contender in 444 Marlin.

Robbro097
08-30-2019, 07:23 PM
That looks like a monster round. i never got in2 big handguns the worst handgun i have is pistol grip 12ga with a good ole 1oz deer slug. All this gun talk i may just have to turn sunday in2 a range day lol

Robbro097
09-01-2019, 07:15 PM
https://youtu.be/F7OCyN5Rcis

Robbro097
09-01-2019, 07:16 PM
I only shot it a cpl times i had a bunch of friends over and wanted to share the fun. I need many more smoke rounds lots of fun i cant want to dump 15

Arclight
09-02-2019, 06:49 PM
If you don't mind sharing, where did you find the repeating model? The Polish military and the HK 26.5mm flare pistols are readily available, and the RV85 can be found with some work. Have never seen this one. That's a cool find!

The white illumination flares are the best round they made, IMO.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-02-2019, 07:57 PM
I have a standard mosin i picked up yrs ago and a ton of surplus ammo my local gunshop had for dirt cheap. I actually really like how it shoots (once you get used to trigger) for a 100$ rifle really fun and accurate. The 50bmg is a 5 round side mag fed ar upper on standard lower. Its really pretty light for 50 wouldn't mind it being another 5 or 10lbs heavier to help absorb some recoil i dont care as much for the thumping as i used to.

Yeah.. Mosin ammo is so cheap it's almost free. Probably because it's no damn fun to shoot! Lol... I picked up my 91/30 for $69 and I got the M44 for $89 many moon ago when Aimsurplus was still selling milsurp rifles. I couldn't believe how plentiful and cheap they were back then. I'd love to get a 50BMG but I think I'd have trouble finding somewhere to shoot it. There's a 1K yard range about 2 hours South of me, but that's a tad far to go just to plink. We'll see. Maybe one day. Like you, I don't care as much for the thumping as much as I used to. Unlike the rifles, I'm slowing down fast.

Robbro097
09-02-2019, 08:12 PM
If you don't mind sharing, where did you find the repeating model? The Polish military and the HK 26.5mm flare pistols are readily available, and the RV85 can be found with some work. Have never seen this one. That's a cool find!

The white illumination flares are the best round they made, IMO.

It was last fall 250 were imported to the states and that was it. Seemed like most every online gunshop had a cpl even tractor supply had a few. I got an email from classicfirearms notifying me of it and i jumped now if u find 1 theyr 50% more than they were. Hold 15 rnds i think imma order more smoke this week so i can do a round dump. :cool:

Robbro097
09-02-2019, 08:23 PM
Yeah.. Mosin ammo is so cheap it's almost free. Probably because it's no damn fun to shoot! Lol... I picked up my 91/30 for $69 and I got the M44 for $89 many moon ago when Aimsurplus was still selling milsurp rifles. I couldn't believe how plentiful and cheap they were back then. I'd love to get a 50BMG but I think I'd have trouble finding somewhere to shoot it. There's a 1K yard range about 2 hours South of me, but that's a tad far to go just to plink. We'll see. Maybe one day. Like you, I don't care as much for the thumping as much as I used to. Unlike the rifles, I'm slowing down fast.

Id love 1000 yard range my buddies property slopes down hill but thats only touch under 400yrds far enough to make it fun but far cry from its reach. Iv been building up a dirt mound at the back of my property wanting to get it about 15 ft high and 20+ thick and when i get to that point ill feel good bout shooting it theye thatd give me about 350yrd. Hopefully going to get a pond dug next yr and give me the dirt needed to complete that. I feel good shooting all my other stuff out theyr, but the 50 is an animal all its own.

Robbro097
09-02-2019, 08:34 PM
I've never purchased from aimsurplus came close to getting a goryunov from them yrs ago but didnt and now just like that 37mm rotary launcher iv been kicking myself for not getting. Really want 1 for collection but even when i find em no way ill pay what they go for now not when i could of had for 1500 10yrs ago. Sometimes just have to jump on these cool purchases when opportunity presents itself.

Arclight
09-02-2019, 09:35 PM
I've never purchased from aimsurplus came close to getting a goryunov from them yrs ago but didnt and now just like that 37mm rotary launcher iv been kicking myself for not getting. Really want 1 for collection but even when i find em no way ill pay what they go for now not when i could of had for 1500 10yrs ago. Sometimes just have to jump on these cool purchases when opportunity presents itself.

I recommend saving your empties. Mag dumps with 1" tube shells from a cake are going to be feasible.

Robbro097
09-02-2019, 09:56 PM
I started skimming thru the top layer of my leftovers looking for something with shells that will work but no luck ill have to dig deeper

Robbro097
09-02-2019, 09:57 PM
I wonder if 1 inch cannister shells would work

Rick_In_Tampa
09-02-2019, 10:00 PM
I wish I had the property to build a nice shooting range. Unfortunately I live in a HOA. So there's 0 chance where I'm at now.

We used to go down to that 1K yard range maybe 8-9 years ago. They also have a 300 yard range with bowling pins and bells and plates set up on a hillside for you to hit. I remember taking my 98K and M1 Garand down there and you could see the vapor trail behind the bullet as it traveled towards the target. I thought that was the neatest thing.

Arclight
09-03-2019, 01:34 PM
I wonder if 1 inch cannister shells would work

Yes, as long as they will physically fit inside the casing. I can measure one when I get home, but the bore is just over 1" while the aluminum cases are a bit smaller. I recommend using a 1" felt furniture pad with a hole punched in the middle as a wad and cushion between the shell and powder.

Robbro097
09-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Yes, as long as they will physically fit inside the casing. I can measure one when I get home, but the bore is just over 1" while the aluminum cases are a bit smaller. I recommend using a 1" felt furniture pad with a hole punched in the middle as a wad and cushion between the shell and powder.

Thanks. I cut open a crummy ball shell i had laying around that i suspected had a 1in can and it did it would sorta fit pretty dang snug, both it and the inside diameter of the hull came in at .97 on my calipers

Robbro097
09-03-2019, 07:50 PM
I wish I had the property to build a nice shooting range. Unfortunately I live in a HOA. So there's 0 chance where I'm at now.

We used to go down to that 1K yard range maybe 8-9 years ago. They also have a 300 yard range with bowling pins and bells and plates set up on a hillside for you to hit. I remember taking my 98K and M1 Garand down there and you could see the vapor trail behind the bullet as it traveled towards the target. I thought that was the neatest thing.

Its about 45 minutes away from my house bought it a few yrs ago had a barn built on it and just use it as a shooting range firework shootsite and spot for whole family and friends to hang out. Ill hopefully b building a house in next cpl years not ready to yet but something to keep working towards

Arclight
09-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Okay, here are some pictures of the tools for reloading 26.5mm shells. Please note that the ATF considers this to be a non-firearm and non-Destructive Device ONLY if you do not possess any "anti-personnel" ammo for it. So stick with smoke, pyro or line-throwing projectiles.

The first thing you need are some 1" felt furniture gliders. You can order a 100 pack from Home Depot. These will protect your payload and help seal the bore, resulting in higher lifts.

For a line-throwing projectile, just press them in on top of the powder charge. For a pyro projectile, punch a hole in the center first.

A wad punched from thin cardboard will seal the top. I like to use Elmer's glue for this.

Here are the tools for reconditioning and reloading the empty cases:

The basic steps are:
1. Clean the inside of the case with steel wool and a cordless drill. Check to see if the cardboard or plastic powder cup is still attached. That's the little white plastic thing in the picture. Try to replace it if missing.
2. Punch out the old primer (it's some sort of non-standard military primer)
3. Ream out the primer hole with a #A stub drill.
4. Press in a new #209 shotgun primer. Wear safety glasses! I like to do this by pressing down on the case from the inside using that hollow driver. A wooden dowel will also work.
5. Charge with 15-25gr (grains, NOT grams!) of #FF or similar BP.
6. Drop the payload with wad in and gently press until it is completely snug to the bottom. The wad will seal the lift charge in. You can also place a piece of cut-out tissue paper over the lift charge if you are worried about the powder migrating
7. Cap with cardboard and glue.
8. Test fit before firing if possible. Do not try to load a road that is bulged or tight.

The big black punch is for cutting out cardboard disks and other wads. The smaller one is for making center holes. Both are easy to acquire on Amazon, as is the special drill.
Hope this helps!

Robbro097
09-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the info. Went thru my spent shells unfortunately looks like only 2 had powder cups still. Mayb try and rake the area i shot them and see if i cant find some more, id guess they wouldn't have traveled too far not like the load. Will b much more affordable than buying rounds not nearly as much supplies and info out theyr about reloading 26.5 as theyr is 37mm. Id imagine load/shell construction would b the same as 37mm just different sizes and ammounts

Arclight
09-04-2019, 07:38 PM
It might only be the 5.25" long smoke rounds that have the insert. They will work without it, but loading is easier if you do have it to contain the powder. It's an easy job to make them if you have access to a lathe.

Robbro097
09-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Good to know. Iv got alot of tools but no lathe lol I found them in 2 of the red rain flare rnds i still have another 20 rnds of rain flairs so hopefully ill get some more. I did find some reloadable plastic 26.5mm that take 209 primer 50hulls for 30$ im gone to order at 15 rnds a pop that beast is gonna run thru them. Also going to order some 3/4" id tubes of different size walls to find the 1 that fits iv got a handful of half fired cakes ill take the stars/burst from to make my own shells after i get the hang of it with inert then smoke rounds to make sure it has no prob firing them blackpowder primers and tubes are cheap compared to something going wrong in the launcher

Arclight
09-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Do you have a link to the plastic shells? All I have seen are the fairly expensive ones that use a .38 blank.

Robbro097
09-04-2019, 10:08 PM
I sent u a private message theyr not an advertiser here so dont want to advertise for them since they are a pyro store

Arclight
09-04-2019, 10:40 PM
Okay, i took a look at those. I'm pretty sure they should load just like the Aluminum shells, although the diameter is going to be a bit smaller inside.

Robbro097
09-04-2019, 10:44 PM
I was thinking payload cup would b different because they do look pretty beefy

Arclight
09-05-2019, 12:02 AM
I was thinking payload cup would b different because they do look pretty beefy

You don't really need any sort of cup. Just hot-glue a 1" felt furniture glider to the bottom of the payload. Most flares and signals are made with stacks of wads, like old-timey shotgun shells. If you're making a line thrower projectile, then you can turn the outside to bore diameter and just make a little lip that snaps to the mouth of the case. If the 1" wads won't press into that smaller case, I'll bet a 7/8" leather punch can make them for you.

And remember, unless you have it registered as a "Destructive Device," don't load anything that could be considered offensive, like balls or shot. There is also an ATF determination letter somewhere out there about a practice round made from PVC pipe being "not anti-personnel" for legal purposes.

Robbro097
09-05-2019, 01:29 AM
Im really just wanting smoke and standard fireworks shells i have enough stuff that can go bang without risking anything with this

Robbro097
09-05-2019, 01:31 AM
The leather punch is a great idea to cut disc

Arclight
09-05-2019, 02:00 PM
I believe that just about any pyro load would be OK. A salute-only device might be considered an "explosive pest control device" but anything with some color, smoke or illumination should be OK. I also wouldn't want something containing a bunch of flash being initiated right next to my face. The big one that can get people in trouble would be a baton, buckshot, or similar projectile.

Robbro097
09-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Yea i hear u about shooting something containing a bunch of flash way too close for comfort