PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Cobra User

Drewman91
06-01-2019, 06:30 PM
Hi All,

I am new to electronic firing and have decided to go with a cobra firing system, I have decided on an 18R2 and two 18M's to start. My question is I typically only shoot once a year and am wondering if the 9V batteries are enough juice to power a 10-15 min show or if the lipo is actually needed for the 18M's?

joed2323
06-01-2019, 08:32 PM
Absolutely, 9volts are plenty

You only have 18 cues per module

You could probably run 6-8 matches in series per cue and have plenty of juice.

All I use is 9volts and I normally shoot 18 min shows. This year 22.5 minute with no worries

You chose a great system

I must warn you of this though, it is very addicting getting into cobra. You can never have enough lol

displayfireworks1
06-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Advancing fireworks enthusiast moving into the Cobra wireless system are always welcome. There is good collection of expert users here on pyrotalk. For a big new show I like to start with new high quality batteries like Energizer or Duracell. Do not get too obsessed with that number that displays indicating battery strength. It will seem like you just put new batteries in and the number dropped a point or two. Although the remote makes a little nervous sometime with all the bright indicator lights and better usage. What are you using between the module and the product. I'm try to not the word to see what you have ?

esgrillo
06-02-2019, 11:14 PM
You can run shows way longer than than on a 9v. I started with exactly what you are getting and it served me well and continues to do so. Just replace the batteries before your show.

Pretty soon you'll get the bug and have a growing pile of modules like the rest of us.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-03-2019, 02:42 AM
Firewire initiators take a ridiculously small amount of juice to fire, so yeah, you'll be fine if you use new batteries and max out each cue.

Just heed esgrillo's warning. Cobra is like the Borg of the pyro universe. You will be assimilated and resistance is definitely futile!

Pyro Paul
06-03-2019, 11:28 PM
It's been my experience that the 9 volt do not hold up to maxing out all the cues. Get the lipo when you purchase, it's a pita to change it out and reprogram. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-04-2019, 08:59 AM
The Lipo's are definitely worth the few extra bucks. No worries about your battery levels when you have them.
Everyone that I know that has gotten them has said it was the best upgrade they could have made.

@ Rick in Tampa--" Cobra is like the Borg of the pyro universe. You will be assimilated and resistance is definitely futile! "
That would make an awesome T shirt!!! Scott Smith---are you reading this???

Rick_In_Tampa
06-05-2019, 12:23 AM
@ Rick in Tampa--" Cobra is like the Borg of the pyro universe. You will be assimilated and resistance is definitely futile! "
That would make an awesome T shirt!!! Scott Smith---are you reading this???

Lol... If you are Scott, I only need 10% off the top!! :cool:

pyromagic
06-05-2019, 12:23 AM
9v batteries are fine. We run several hundred modules a year and have never had a problem. I would recommend version 5.02 firmware as the battery indicator levels are much more accurate in this version than others such as 3.03. We usually change batteries out about every 3 or so shows depending on the conditions.

Drewman91
06-06-2019, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I decided to go with the 9v's for now and will gauge if I will swap to the lipo later, as for the product between I have decided to use talons since I feel I do not have enough experience digging into the lift charge to place an mjg.

MontanaMike
07-02-2019, 02:01 PM
I have decided to use talons since I feel I do not have enough experience digging into the lift charge to place an mjg.That was a little intimidating to me too, but after doing a couple of cakes I got the hang of it real fast. It's easy. Just get yourself a brass awl (or another suitable non-sparking tool) for poking.

Congrats on your Cobra system. We started with 3 modules and now we're up to 8, plus Audiobox. Upgraded to Lipos last year and probably will do the Quickplug upgrade next. It definitely is a sickness. ;)