PDA

View Full Version : NFA Press Release Articles of Pyrotechnics

displayfireworks1
05-12-2019, 07:05 PM
The NFA released a letter in regard to their position on Articles of Pyrotechnics . Apparently the Pyrotechnic Guild International is also part of this news release. What do we know from this news release that we did not know before. Not much really. Of course they should not be sold to the general public. The question is how do you define the language they use "Properly trained individuals"? Well American Pyrotechnic Association , now its your turn to issue a press release in regard to Articles of Pyrotechnics. I'm going to tell you I prompted the NFA a little on this issue and let them review my AP continuing education video. Maybe I should send the APA a copy of my video also.
All of these pyrotechnic organizations need to address this issue. With more and more fireworks enthusiast moving into fireworks firing system and computer software, along with fireworks manufacturers making fireworks products to address this need. Clarification is needed in regard to sale of these items.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3931&stc=1

Rick_In_Tampa
05-13-2019, 12:54 AM
Looks like the PGI and NFA both ran right up to the finish line on this one, and then backed away before crossing over. All they had to say is "Individuals must be trained on the provisions of NFPA 1123 in order to purchase AOP products." They hinted at that. But they didn't come out and say it. That's unfortunate.

Then, to make matters worse, they included a footnote that adds confusion to the mix. Why say "Not all local and state jurisdictions require compliance with NFA Codes 1123 and 1126?? Who cares?! That's irrelevant to the issue at hand. If Joe Consumer wants to buy AOP products, he/she MUST be trained on the provisions of NFPA 1123 in order to purchase AOP products. That should be their focus.

The insurance note is completely bizarre to me. AOP items are 1.4. As such, you don't need a permit to buy or use them. So who's going to get insurance for something you don't need a permit to buy or use? It follows that if you don't have insurance then the insurance companies aren't going to require you to do anything. So what's the point in adding that note here?? :confused: