PDA

View Full Version : Rockets...Underrated?

RoCketShOck88
02-26-2011, 12:49 AM
I feel like Rockets are always being underrated. I think rockets can have just as big a display as shells can. The breaks on certain rockets can be compared to some breaks on shells. I have shot different types of rockets and all of them are just as stunning as shells. Who else agrees that rockets have gotten a bad rep as not being as good as shells?

$/\/\0|<E
02-26-2011, 01:51 AM
The main reason being is because of the mess they make . I love good rockets !

uraniumsalute
02-26-2011, 02:07 AM
Depends on what country you are in, but yeah US 1.4 rockets suck in comparison to what is available in Europe and Asia. Consumer rockets there with 3-4" headers are relatively common. Salute rockets, or any effect really.

Controcolpo
02-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Depends on what country you are in, but yeah US 1.4 rockets suck in comparison to what is available in Europe and Asia. Consumer rockets there with 3-4" headers are relatively common. Salute rockets, or any effect really.

Small examples of the kind of rockets which are sold as consumer fireworks in some European countries, such as Switserland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viYWX2gkJ-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jebyp6dcNBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLXUPlcBApY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KPjyqE_25U

fogle22
02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
These are obviously not consumer, but Dave posted a video on Youtube of a guy that makes rockets. I could not find this in his video section. These are incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/user/displayfireworks1#p/search/16/PvHQzcn4I5Y

Shig357
02-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Small examples of the kind of rockets which are sold as consumer fireworks in some European countries, such as Switserland.

I knew Europe had really good rockets, but these are amazing!

Acid Thunder
02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Hey Fogle, Yep, I had that video saved myself. Love Rockets!! Here's the Video also within this link without having to exit the thread.

I may have to take a Rocket building class at PGI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvHQzcn4I5Y

To post videos within post, just click on the icon with the FilmStrip and paste your link.

Pembo0630
02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Wow- I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those European rockets! I've never been impressed with the 1.4 consumer rockets here in the US.

The video Dave posted had some beautiful breaks in it too. That takes some very skilled craftsmanship to pull that off.

StormY
02-26-2011, 01:59 PM
^ Yeah, me either. They just don't seem to fit in anywhere. And are most times inconsistent. I mean, I might shoot a couple just for the fun of it. But, I'd never use rockets in my show. That's just me.

$/\/\0|<E
02-26-2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVuPDyqe6D8

Had a case of these last year and shot every single one . I couldn't get enough of them ! Hopefully I can still get them this year . They are pricey though I think the case was $120 if I remember right

BigMO
02-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Be careful with naming that stuff!

$/\/\0|<E
02-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Be careful with naming that stuff!

That's the old name

BigMO
02-26-2011, 04:50 PM
That's the old name

Your a good Man!

uraniumsalute
02-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Naming current 'good' items should be another rule Dave should add here.

BigMO
02-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Naming current 'good' items should be another rule Dave should add here.

I would agree! That is why Dave tapes the name of certain products up! Just look at the video of the daytime smoke cake!

PKMF
02-26-2011, 05:33 PM
There may be hope yet!

StormY
02-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Yep, it's never good to release the name of those "special" items that we tend to come across.

ThunderKing
02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Rockets (US 1.4g) are only good for a few things like smiley faces, rings, and the noisey effects some make, other than that other items are better .Also they can be very unsafe with crazy flight paths and falling sticks.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-26-2011, 10:18 PM
I prefer shells to rockets mainly because of the clutter left behind from motor casings & sticks. Shells leave less residue although in time it all will rot--except the clay plugs & nozzles. There are some awesome rocket builders out there though-as we saw in several of Dave's clips. Still amazed at the impeccable timing of the spiral and reversing spiral reports!

StormY
02-26-2011, 11:30 PM
As for patterns, rockets usually show them the right way up on the right side. That's the only advantage rockets have over shells, IMO.

andy
02-27-2011, 12:14 PM
I feel like Rockets are always being underrated. I think rockets can have just as big a display as shells can. The breaks on certain rockets can be compared to some breaks on shells. I have shot different types of rockets and all of them are just as stunning as shells. Who else agrees that rockets have gotten a bad rep as not being as good as shells?

Well i have to say i definetly prefer shells. But i may be a little prejudice because i live in Massachusetts. We do all our firework shopping in new hampshire. They cant legally sell rockets in New hampshire. only aerial repeaters and preloaded mortar shells. but years back it was legal to buy rockets in new hampshire and i never really found one that impressed me. ofcourse this was ten years ago when they could. so id imagine they have probably come a long way since then. Can you suggest a certain rocket brand thats available in the USA that is quality?

PyroMike79
02-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Rockets can be a lot of fun and they take me back to my childhood but the 1.4 rockets we can get in this country just do not impress me that much when compared to even an average consumer shell. Also, the cost of a high end rocket can be ridiculous.

Pembo0630
02-27-2011, 01:12 PM
^ Agreed. It comes down to the fact that, for me, they just aren't worth it. I can never seem to find an appropriate place to put them in a show- usually a reloadable would fit better in any situation these rockets could be used. Of course I'm referring to the 1.4g rockets here- I would love to grab a couple of the 1.3g rockets or some from over seas.

I usually only purchase self-propelled, ground based novelty rockets

Knightmare
03-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Small examples of the kind of rockets which are sold as consumer fireworks in some European countries, such as Switzerland.

Those rockets are off the chain!

NormanNormal
03-09-2011, 11:56 PM
I bought world class smiley face rockets this year, we will see how they do. I am going to do a smiley segment in my show.

$/\/\0|<E
03-10-2011, 12:22 AM
I bought world class smiley face rockets this year, we will see how they do. I am going to do a smiley segment in my show.

They are not bad . I usually get a couple packs of grin n bear it rockets . Smiley's are always fun ...

$/\/\0|<E
03-10-2011, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxcx1lh19pM&feature=relmfu

firecrackersam
03-10-2011, 12:29 AM

Shot those this last fourth of July, and they performed very well. Only problem was that a lot of the time the header breaks backwards and you can't see the smiley as much, but they were still nice rockets.

pyroman
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Rockets can be good, and some made by "amateurs" are far better than the commercial rockets on the US market. The problem with rockets is that they are less safe than shells. That casing and stick falls back and a large one can seriously injure or kill someone, whereas shells produce very little debris.

nrubmx
03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
i would have to agree with StormY! but the euro rockets look amazing and id love to shoot some of those

pyromaniac
03-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Rockets can be good, and some made by "amateurs" are far better than the commercial rockets on the US market. The problem with rockets is that they are less safe than shells. That casing and stick falls back and a large one can seriously injure or kill someone, whereas shells produce very little debris.

I agree! Rockets are over-regulated not underrated!:mad: