PDA

View Full Version : 1,3G Firecrackers

FinnAmerican
04-14-2019, 09:36 PM
I've been watching European fireworks videos on YouTube; especially from Russia, or perhaps the Ukraine.

Can anyone tell me what "Class 3 UN 0335 1,3G" printed on this Russian firecracker means..?

In Europe, would someone need a special permit to shoot these types of firecrackers..?

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3841&stc=1

countryboy7978
04-15-2019, 10:57 PM
I've been watching European fireworks videos on YouTube; especially from Russia, or perhaps the Ukraine.

Can anyone tell me what "Class 3 UN 0335 1,3G" printed on this Russian firecracker means..?

In Europe, would someone need a special permit to shoot these types of firecrackers..?

I?m going to answer this with a benefit of the doubt that you are not a troll and are simply curious about large firecrackers. 1.4, 1.3, 1.1 etc are shipping hazard classes. They don?t determine whether you need a license or permit. That?s determined by the laws of the country. M80s and cherry bombs were always Class B special fireworks even in the US but the laws did not prohibit the consumer purchase of these items prior to the 1960s ban.

halk
04-20-2019, 11:13 AM
They are also storage classes for ATF. No special storage magazine required for Consumer Fireworks 1.4G like is required for 1.3 and 1.1. No, prior to 1954 CB's, tube salutes, repeating bombs, etc. were not Class B and could be mail ordered or bought at retail in any state that allowed fireworks. The 1954 legislation only applied to cracker length. That is why no crackers over 1.5 inches long are marked ICC. This allowed domestic CBs and short tube salutes to be sold in the stands till the 1966 legislation on powder content (2-grain) killed them and they became Special Fireworks. In the early days there were no government markings on the boxes. The only restriction for mail ordering prior to 1954 was the requirement fireworks be sent by rail. Was the biggest day of the year for me when I would bike down to the depot to pick up my Spencer assortment!

countryboy7978
04-24-2019, 10:55 PM
Hal, I’m sure you know much more about vintage Pyro than I do. My question is this...I’ve seen cherry and tube salute boxes in collections that say Special Fireworks on them. They could be from the late 50s/early 60s but I don’t remember them being the pest control labeled boxes that came after 1966.

halk
04-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Can't remember that either. Perhaps the ag devices (SCRAM rockets, PCB's, rope crackers, cracker shells, Seal control bombs, etc) were in some different category as the government contracted for them and provided them to USFWS to use or give to producers. I think some were also sold at retail to farmers only at ag supply stores.

wingman
04-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Can't remember that either. Perhaps the ag devices (SCRAM rockets, PCB's, rope crackers, cracker shells, Seal control bombs, etc) were in some different category as the government contracted for them and provided them to USFWS to use or give to producers. I think some were also sold at retail to farmers only at ag supply stores.

I'd be willing to bet that the boxes marked as such were Post-1966. It wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers could have been in an uproar over the ban and would have lost a ton of revenue save for the AG industry. I have heard over the years that they were indeed sold in tack and agricultural shops for farmers and ranchers only but that didn't stop the stores from selling to consumers under-the-counter.

RalphieJ
04-26-2019, 12:06 PM
None of the pre-ban cherry bomb or silver salute ("ashcan") boxes I have or have seen had "special fireworks" on them, or any other classification. My 1961 New Jersey Fireworks Mfg. carton has "Federal law prohibits the sale of individual salutes in this carton unless each salute so sold or distributed is individually labeled in accordance with the Federal Hazardous Substances Labeling Act. Do not sell to children." The price sticker: $3.95 (half gross), which equates to $33.58 in today's dollars. Who wouldn't pay that today? By comparison, a gross of high-quality bootleg M-80's in the mid '90s cost between $100 to $125, approx. $200 in 2019 dollars. "Born Too Late".

wingman
04-26-2019, 01:33 PM
None of the pre-ban cherry bomb or silver salute ("ashcan") boxes I have or have seen had "special fireworks" on them, or any other classification..

True. None of them would need that classification because they were Pre-Ban

halk
04-26-2019, 05:37 PM
Correct. I think the Special Fireworks designation was not mandatory till after 1966, possibly 1968? And as I recall the word "Fireworks" was not even mentioned on any of the agricultural stuff. The white boxes of yellow tube salutes just had PCB in big letters and little else. Might have shown the maker (Stonebreaker). Should dig one out and check. Sure a lot of long crackers somehow got into retail however, with the "Danger Explosive" wording indicative of Class B. See it on 2-inchers and packs of braided crackers over 1 1/2 inches long. Some were in catalogues under the "Class B only" section. Gone after 1971, when ICC disappeared, replaced by DOT?

ttam23
05-09-2020, 02:41 AM
I think the people responding to this post a bit confused . He is asking about Europe not the USA. 1.4g and 1.3g are both consumer fireworks . the 1.3g have more flash powder. there are different laws from country to country that puts different restrictions on shipping and storage. in England 1.3G and 1.4G is a hazard classification that relates only to transport and packaging

displayfireworks1
05-13-2020, 08:03 PM
I suspect that Russian firecracker is the same as La Bomba and 100 other similar ones that are wrapped with different labels. I heard they basically Thunder King inserts with a fuse. Look around in mom and pop fireworks stores , you will probably find them. Funny story about Russian fireworks , years back someone from Hawaii sent me a picture of the back of a shipping container full of Russian label fireworks that were smuggled into Hawaii. LOL