PDA

View Full Version : PVC mortars for comets

rocky99
03-19-2019, 11:22 AM
I know PVC is not recommended for use in mortars for firing shells. Has any one made mortars from PVC for firing 0.75 to 1.25 inch comets. PVC pipe and wooden dowels are readily available for making mortars that are 1 and 1.5 inches in diameter. Just wondering if anyone has any experience making reloadable racks from this material. Trying to replicate some of the splices that are available commercially as 1.4 pro.

displayfireworks1
03-19-2019, 12:52 PM
This assumes none of the one shots ever explode or malfunction

rocky99
03-20-2019, 07:45 AM
That's exactly why I am asking this question. They will be fired electronically from a safe distance. Does schedule 40 PVC hold up to the lighter lift charges used with small comets?

PyroJoeNEPA
03-20-2019, 09:49 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It doesn't matter if you are firing electrically or not. You can have a mis-fire smouldering in the tube for a half hour & go off when you are breaking down--or an ember in the tube that hits the powder when you move the tube. So many scenarios for accidents using good tubes--don't compound the danger factor by using PVC.
Safety first! Live to shoot another day!
I've seen one shots blow out the sides of the tubes and also .75" Roman Candles blow out the side. Another reason not to use PVC for any kind of racks....comets, candles, etc.

davids31
05-09-2019, 08:51 PM
NO, NO, NO, that stuff is brittle and blows into a million pieces when something goes wrong. I have seen people use for air line and have witnessed it blowing up under that situation.

Bung
05-10-2019, 08:20 AM
As others have said - 'No'. Recoil is another thing to think about.

jknepp1954
05-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Never ever....never ever....never ever.....never ever use PVC!

shake the cove
05-11-2019, 04:10 PM
remember any shrapnel of PVC does not show up well on X-ray when you have to go to the emergency emergency room. They can't get out what they can't see. Be safe ,dave's advertizers have lots of 1.75 and 2 or 2.5 meters are not that expensive.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-12-2019, 01:10 AM
What everyone else said. Why would you risk your life or that of someone else by using PVC tubes? HDPE tubes are just not that expensive. Especially compared to a lawsuit when a PVC tube fail and someone at your show gets hurt.

Arclight
08-18-2019, 12:09 PM
PVC isn't legal for compressed air lines either, unless it is buried underground. As others have said, when it fails, it shatters into lots of high-velocity pieces that are difficult to see under X-ray,