PDA

View Full Version : cobra external power?

Robbro097
12-19-2018, 11:36 PM
I was wondering what batteries to use? Iv seen on a pdf from cobra they had used 2 small 12v batteries wired in series for 24 i dont happen to have any of those on hand but was wondering if i could pull the deep cycle batteries from my boat wire em in series and use that instead or would the amperage b too much? Any help would b appreciated if i could avoid spending 50 or 60$ on batteries i could think of a better way to spend it lol. Thanks

Pyro Dave
12-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Batteries will last you a long time.
Spend the money on 9v's instead of frying your cobras.

Robbro097
12-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Im hoping to try n create sum effect that will require firing as many as 18 commets at once and cobra says 24v external can fire 20 i will buy the 12v 10mah batteries they have a link to if i have to but was hoping sum1 has experiences with this because im deff not gonna just hook up n cross my fingers lol

Jay_
12-20-2018, 08:24 PM
If your modules are already set up for 12v external, I’d just use your boat batteries. The modules will pull a small amount of amperage and it would take several thousand shots to drain the battery.

Don’t worry about a battery “having too much amperage” the module will only use what it needs.

Robbro097
12-20-2018, 09:22 PM
I kno cobra say they have multiple fail safes to prevent damage but i dont wanna risk doing any ill keep doing n consider getting ahold of cobra i really dont wanna fry it spending 60 on the 10mah batteries would b much cheaper

Robbro097
12-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Id like to make a correction to my above post its 10ah not mah found same 1s cobra has a link to on amazon 2 for 40$ so at least it beats 60$ better safe than sorry

cptnding
12-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Your boat batteries will not fry your module. And the numbers Cobra gives for amount of matches is very conservative. Unless in extreme cold or with very long scab wire runs they will fire many more than is stated on that chart.
Send Cobra an email asking about using your marine batteries. They are very quick to respond and you will have your info from the source. They will tell you it's no problem.

Robbro097
12-21-2018, 12:07 AM
Your boat batteries will not fry your module. And the numbers Cobra gives for amount of matches is very conservative. Unless in extreme cold or with very long scab wire runs they will fire many more than is stated on that chart.
Send Cobra an email asking about using your marine batteries. They are very quick to respond and you will have your info from the source. They will tell you it's no problem.

I think thats the best bet go right to the source thnx every1

Robbro097
12-28-2018, 05:14 PM
I emailed scott of cobra and recieved a response in a few minutes (thats as good of customer service as ive seen with anything thanks scott/cobra) and he says no prob using the bigger 12v deepcycles in series cobra mods have built in protections to prevent any damage. Just updating for any1 in the future who may b wondering something simular. Thanks every1 for your help

PYRODAN
12-28-2018, 05:59 PM
I use 2 12 volt batteries in series for comet runs and it works great. (Cobra system) The batteries I used were from Batteries and bulbs. 2 SLA (sealed lead acid) 20 ah batteries used for battery back up for computer networks. I mounted them in a Plano box with some closed cell foam to keep every thing in place. Took my Dremel and ground a little notch to run the wires out of with the lid closed. I might get fancy and put a Deutsch bulkhead connector on the lid and make a proper cable for it. I'll take a picture and post it.

Robbro097
12-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Cool sounds like a slick setup yea im wanting it for comets but didnt want to buy any extra batteries i always replace my boat batteries every other year dont wanna have to get towed back in cuz of something stupid like a dead battery lol didnt wanna have to buy other batteries also have another for clay thrower already at my shoot site

PYRODAN
01-01-2019, 08:30 PM

I was wrong, they are 10 ah batteries. I fired 36 comets in 1.8 seconds with this arrangement. Longest circuit was 200', with each subsequent circuit getting shorter. If I need more power, I can fit 2 more batteries in the box and wire them series-parallel for 24 volts, 20 ah. Easy to move and store.37263727

Robbro097
01-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Thanx for sharing looks very convenient and easy to handle

PYRODAN
01-02-2019, 08:17 PM
Thanks Robbro097, it works pretty good for me.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-06-2019, 11:21 AM
I'm no electrician, but will your firing system even allow you to push more juice through it? I know the Cobra has a built in overload function that won't allow it to fry if you try to send too much current through it. So I'm just wondering how this will work for you?