PDA

View Full Version : Newbie recommendations

Atl4pyro
11-29-2018, 12:50 AM
Hi guys,

First time posting. I’ve always loved firecrackers and setting them off, and have great memories from my childhood to today. But, I‘ve only just recently been bitten by the collectors bug and the fun of trying to find unique or rare or fun (especially older) packs.

I’ve learned a lot by searching the forums. And, my three questions are:

- any tips for identifying fakes/repros both in person and online?
- any recommended books, resources, etc. (besides here of course!) to check out to learn more?
- any personal favorites? I always love to see what others are collecting or proud of finding.

Welcome any advice on things I should have asked too!

Thanks!

RalphieJ
11-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Hi guys,

First time posting. I’ve always loved firecrackers and setting them off, and have great memories from my childhood to today. But, I‘ve only just recently been bitten by the collectors bug and the fun of trying to find unique or rare or fun (especially older) packs.

I’ve learned a lot by searching the forums. And, my three questions are:

- any tips for identifying fakes/repros both in person and online?
- any recommended books, resources, etc. (besides here of course!) to check out to learn more?
- any personal favorites? I always love to see what others are collecting or proud of finding.

Welcome any advice on things I should have asked too!

Thanks!

If you're interested in pre-ban American salutes, I highly recommend "The Book of Great American Firecrackers" by Jack Nash. There's quite a bit about Chinese firecrackers and collectible salute boxes. The book was published 2016 so the values given are current.

Atl4pyro
11-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Thanks Ralphie! I’ll pick up a copy.

halk
12-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Keep an eye out for a Gaston Guide. Bob put together different ones beginning in 1986. Go for a later edition as it also shows examples of individual crackers. pm me at halka@daktel.com and I will send you information on how collectors determine age of oriental firecrackers made for the US market.