PDA

View Full Version : Having issues firing long(?) wire runs in series.

AwakenedPotato
06-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Hi,
I'm looking for some input on wiring up my show. I did some testing tonight to try and figure out what's possible with my cobra system, but unfortunately I had some mixed results. I'm shooting fireworks from 4 stations with a decent spread between them. The bulk of the show is being shot from the center 2 stations, but near the end of the show I'm hoping to step things up and fire from all 4 stations simultaneously.

I have 2 18M 14.8v lipo model cobra modules.

The results of my test are as follows:
Cue 1: I was able to shoot 2 shells using the cat5 in series with no issues.
Cue 2: 4 station test only fired 1 out of 4 stations (station C in below diagram)
Cue 3: 4 station test fired 2 out of 4 stations (C and D stations)
Cue 4: Single cat5 wire connected to 4 initiators - 40ish feet of cable fired without issue. (not pictured)

Here's my lame drawing of my general layout. I basically have 4 runs of cable wired together in series with a single MJG initiator attached at the end.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3103&stc=1

Since the bulk of my show is being shot from my center 2 stations I've planned on using cat5 cable to minimize wire runs and simplify wiring. The issue seems related to the mixing of 22 gauge seminole wire with cat5 OR possibly the length of my wire runs, or a combination of the two. Tomorrow I plan on trying again using the same setup, but with shorter wire runs on my 2 outside most stations. I'm hoping that resolves the issue, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas or experience trying to accomplish what I'm doing.

I know most people would probably shoot 4 modules with one at each station, but I only have 2 and I need all 36 cues.

My general questions are:
1. Is cat5 suitable?
2. Are my wire runs unreasonably long?
3. Could my issue be the change in wire gauge from 22 to 24?

Thanks!

3 Fingers
06-09-2018, 12:08 AM
Are you using talon ignitors, MJG Initiators or Ematch?