PDA

View Full Version : Mjg initiators in series

3 Fingers
05-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Does anyone here have experience with wiring cues in series with the MJG Initiators?
I have always just wired cues in parallel with talons/ematch with good success.
Wondering if MJGs do well wired in series?
Thanks

Berserker23
05-22-2018, 05:25 PM
This might help you http://www.pyrofan.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-5797.html

PyroJoeNEPA
05-22-2018, 06:16 PM
You can wire them in series with no issues.

3 Fingers
05-22-2018, 06:33 PM
This might help you http://www.pyrofan.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-5797.html

Thanks....good read.

3 Fingers
05-22-2018, 07:53 PM
You can wire them in series with no issues.

Can they be wired in series on the parallel slats?

PyroJoeNEPA
05-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Can they be wired in series on the parallel slats?

Yes. a cue is a cue. just keep in mind the other slats in parallel add to the total number of matches drawing current on that cue. So you are limited by the number of matches vs current available from the module.

3 Fingers
05-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Yes. a cue is a cue. just keep in mind the other slats in parallel add to the total number of matches drawing current on that cue. So you are limited by the number of matches vs current available from the module.

Thank you Joe- this makes me wonder what the difference is between the parallel slats and the series slats from Cobra? In Scott's video he says they recommend series slats for ematch and parallel slats for talons. He then refers us to Pyro Mikes video about parallel vs series wiring....but that is all he really says about it on the video.
Are the slats (parallel vs series) wired the same with the exception of the number of db25 connectors or are they wired differently?

PyroJoeNEPA
05-24-2018, 01:52 PM
Thank you Joe- this makes me wonder what the difference is between the parallel slats and the series slats from Cobra? In Scott's video he says they recommend series slats for ematch and parallel slats for talons. He then refers us to Pyro Mikes video about parallel vs series wiring....but that is all he really says about it on the video.
Are the slats (parallel vs series) wired the same with the exception of the number of db25 connectors or are they wired differently?
They are wired differently. Will get back to you with a more detailed answer. If I don't get out & start cutting grass the MRS is going to hit me with a cast iron frying pan. LOL

PyroJoeNEPA
05-24-2018, 06:59 PM
OK--grass is cut & I didn't get hit with the frying pan so all is good! Series and parallel can be confusing to anyone without a basic understanding of electronics---and when you ratchet it up to include slats it can be more confusing.
First of all--let me say that parallel is not a pyro's choice of wiring because of the issues associated with continuity testing. You can three matches in parallel and two of them can be open[happens a LOT with Talons]--but the circuit will test ok because of the good one. The only way to test 100% with parallel ignitors is to test them one at a time before wiring them in parallel.
Now --with slats--say you have three parallel slats across your front & put an ignitor in cue #1 of each slat--all three will fire at the same time. However--unless you test the slats individually you can have the same scenario as I just described.
With series slats--the current goes thru the 1st slat to the 2nd slat to the 3rd slat & returns back to the 1st slat to complete the circuit and fire the cue...all at the same time.
Now--if you have 2 ignitors in series on cue one of all three series slats the same thing happens--but you now have 6 ignitors on that cue--not 3.
Talons WILL NOT work in series-if wired together--or in series slats. One will fire and the others will just "sit there".
Parallel slats will work well with ignitors or ematch for fronts.
I hope this wasn't too confusing. If my grandson lived closer I would get him to video some instructional clips of me explaining some of this stuff with examples.

3 Fingers
05-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Joe! I'm happy you did not take one in the noggin with the frying pan!
And thank you very much for that awesome explanation!

To make sure I understand: Say I had a 3 position front using one module and 2 slats so it would look like this:

MODULE-----------SLAT 1-------------SLAT 2

I wire up two ematches in series to cue #1 on the Mod, and cue #1 on each slat giving me a total of 6 ematches.

If I was using Parallel slats, when I read continuity from the R2, assuming at least one match was good it would show continuity, but there could be some bad matches in there as it would not give me a true continuity reading. But if I was using Series slats, continuity readings would be accurate. Also, in either scenario, all 6 matches would fire?

Do I have it?

Thanks again Joe!

PyroJoeNEPA
05-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Joe! I'm happy you did not take one in the noggin with the frying pan!
And thank you very much for that awesome explanation!

To make sure I understand: Say I had a 3 position front using one module and 2 slats so it would look like this:

MODULE-----------SLAT 1-------------SLAT 2

I wire up two ematches in series to cue #1 on the Mod, and cue #1 on each slat giving me a total of 6 ematches.

If I was using Parallel slats, when I read continuity from the R2, assuming at least one match was good it would show continuity, but there could be some bad matches in there as it would not give me a true continuity reading. But if I was using Series slats, continuity readings would be accurate. Also, in either scenario, all 6 matches would fire?

Do I have it?

Thanks again Joe!

Yes ==that is correct. You have it!

3 Fingers
05-24-2018, 10:37 PM
Joe thanks again for all your time and help!

3 Fingers
05-27-2018, 02:11 PM
For anyone who is curious, here is a video of the test I conducted this morning firing 6 MJG Initiators at once off one cue using 2 parallel slats and cues wired in series. The module is powered with 9v batteries.

https://youtu.be/ryQnpWfl6V4