PDA

View Full Version : Cobra updating my firmware

Berserker23
05-14-2018, 03:26 PM
I have a question about upgrading my firmware on my 18r 18m do I have to buy the Wireless Re-programmer or can I use my own flashdrive

Rick_In_Tampa
05-14-2018, 03:34 PM
You have to buy the reprogrammer...

Berserker23
05-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Yes just figure it out thanks I thought it was just a flash drive but it’s not

Rick_In_Tampa
05-14-2018, 06:51 PM
Not sure if you're in a pyro club or know anyone who is, but you might be able to borrow one from someone. They're not that expensive, but free is always better.

Jay_
05-14-2018, 07:57 PM
You have to buy the reprogrammer...

Wow.... Unbelievable.

I ordered mine with 3.03, but it came with the cable for the android tablet and it says "compatible with firmware 4.0 or later" on the package.

I had assumed that you could just use a flash drive as well. Cobra is starting to disappoint me a bit.

Bazerk
05-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Wow.... Unbelievable.

I ordered mine with 3.03, but it came with the cable for the android tablet and it says "compatible with firmware 4.0 or later" on the package.

I had assumed that you could just use a flash drive as well. Cobra is starting to disappoint me a bit.

I believe they will update the firmware for you for free if you send them your equipment. I bought the re programmer and am happy with my purchase. Im sorry to hear that you are disappointed with Cobra. Might I ask why?

Rick_In_Tampa
05-15-2018, 04:14 PM
Wow.... Unbelievable.

Well, I'd be lying if I said I was perfectly fine with having to spend $100 for a specialized gizmo just to update firmware. However, relative to the total investment I have in the system, it's really insignificant. I would encourage you to look at the bigger picture and I think when you think of what you're going to be able to do with the system; especially when you start adding mods and other features; you're going to forget about the cost of the reprogrammer.

Jay_
05-16-2018, 12:41 AM
Yeah I guess it’s really all about perspective. At the end of the day we are already spending several thousand dollars on something that will be gone in 30 minutes or less.

Bazerk
05-16-2018, 08:43 AM
Yeah I guess it’s really all about perspective. At the end of the day we are already spending several thousand dollars on something that will be gone in 30 minutes or less.

True story! lol. That exact action is boredline insane if you think about the money that we light on fire. What gets really scary is when you start to figure the cost per minute of a show. My last one was about $240 per minute. 20 minute show = ouch! However, I will do it at least that big every year with a smile on my face.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-16-2018, 04:53 PM
My last one was about $240 per minute. 20 minute show = ouch! However, I will do it at least that big every year with a smile on my face.

I'm at $733 a minute this year. Yeah.... So $100 for a reprogrammer, pffft.....

bani
07-08-2021, 09:41 PM
Well, I'd be lying if I said I was perfectly fine with having to spend $100 for a specialized gizmo just to update firmware. However, relative to the total investment I have in the system, it's really insignificant. I would encourage you to look at the bigger picture and I think when you think of what you're going to be able to do with the system; especially when you start adding mods and other features; you're going to forget about the cost of the reprogrammer.

when a uC that supports USB flashing costs $1.25 these days, it just underlines how archaic and outdated the cobra hardware looks compared to their competitors.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-09-2021, 03:16 AM
when a uC that supports USB flashing costs $1.25 these days, it just underlines how archaic and outdated the cobra hardware looks compared to their competitors.

Please define what you mean by "archaic and outdated."

OhmsOutlaw
07-09-2021, 07:17 AM
I can't answer for bani, but I feel the same way about Cobra. I work as a PLC programmer and deal with product firmware regularly, so needing a special device to update firmware feels like something out of the 90s, an unsolved problem, or proprietary nonsense. There are other things like not using USB style connections for charging. Slats require heavy DB25 cables. The tiny display on the modules which seems needlessly limited. The remote has only 7-segment displays and it would be nice to get status and script information from the remote while it's running without the need for external displays like a tablet or having to watch out for numbers as they flash by while booting. Both the modules and remote are quite large despite components being much smaller. These were the main reasons I bought a FireTek system to compare. They do few of these things better. USB cables for charging and no specialized device for updating firmware. Compact design and more informative displays. FireTek has their own problems such as the new FTQ modules are currently not well integrated with the rest of their product line which also handicaps the usefulness of the remote. Where is my perfect touchscreen firing system with Finale-like scripting capabilities?

To be clear, Cobra is a great system and I enjoy using it. They are very active with the community and take pride in their customer service. Also, I am sure there a lot of reasons for Cobra's design choices that I'm not aware of. But for the love of god, please don't charge me even more just so I can update my firmware. I'd be 10x happier if they had options to solve the bulk per cue and firmware programmer problems.

Birdman
07-09-2021, 02:28 PM
I have to agree about needing to buy a reprogrammer especially for what they charge. But, like Rick said, in the grand scheme of things it's not a deal breaker. Plus you only really need it if you want to take advantage of something new, which is better than having to buy the latest model remote or module.

I do believe the remote and modules are purposeful design choices. For example the remote and module size is likely because it gives them space to add new technology components down the road and makes it easy for the end user to perform any upgrades or reconfiguration themselves (e.g. change from on board cues to quick plugs to 18 cue stats etc). There are several connectors on the main board that do not have a use yet but may in the future. I believe their goal was to produce an extremely reliable system that is highly configurable, customizable, upgradeable and field serviceable that will stand the test of time. That is something the vast majority of today's electronics are not. I think if you start jamming too much technology into a smaller remote/mod it wouldn't stand up to the test of time and certainly would not be as easy to service in the field or to reconfigure or upgrade.

OhmsOutlaw
07-11-2021, 02:56 AM
I do believe the remote and modules are purposeful design choices. For example the remote and module size is likely because it gives them space to add new technology components down the road and makes it easy for the end user to perform any upgrades or reconfiguration themselves (e.g. change from on board cues to quick plugs to 18 cue stats etc).
That's true, they do plan for expansion of their hardware without too many dangly bits.

I think if you start jamming too much technology into a smaller remote/mod it wouldn't stand up to the test of time
I would think it depends more on component selection and layout. You can go wrong with small tight packages or large spacious packages. Modern electronics are pretty efficient and we're not talking about huge computational needs, so I imagine connector sizes will constrain you before you get to the point where dissipating heat becomes excessively expensive.

and certainly would not be as easy to service in the field or to reconfigure or upgrade.
Add-ons don't need to be housed in the same package as the rest of the hardware. Expansion can happen without the need to dismantle product. For example, you don't need to open the remote to add the audio box. Actually, it would be nice to have that option. I tend to think it's going to be more about purchase options. You can already see this with the modules and how you're able to buy them with different options. Their modular design makes that easy even for options they haven't thought of yet. We benefit by not having to replace equipment in order to upgrade or reconfigure.

Again, Cobra is a fine system. I wouldn't turn anyone away who was planning to buy one. The things I don't like are all due to my preference and nothing to do with performance. But as I said, I would be happier if they had some options that more aligned with my preferences. As for my trial with FireTek, there are some things I don't like about it fundamentally that I feel Cobra would've avoided. I haven't decided if it's enough to make me stick with Cobra yet.

And I'm derailing the thread here. I don't think anyone can deny that the cost of the reprogrammer is small compared to the expense of a capable Cobra system, but that's not because the reprogrammer is inexpensive. It's also an extra part to keep track of, which isn't used during a show and expensive to replace. At least it's reusable across models. I thought that maybe they were recouping the cost of development in the cases where the product was already purchased, but someone mentioned they may flash your firmware if you send in your equipment. If that's true, you're not really being charged for the ability to upgrade firmware, but for the ability to do it conveniently. Is the convenience worth the extra cost? I suppose that's the real question. If you're someone who can afford multiple modules and remote plus fireworks to warrant all that equipment, then you're probably willing to pay more for convenience. Would I pay it? Yep. Would I think better of their product if the price was cheaper or if I could use a laptop instead? Absolutely.