PDA

View Full Version : Built some new racks

maltpj
03-27-2018, 10:40 PM
Hello fellow pyros,
I built 4 one shot racks this last weekend and though I'd show them off. I saved some money building them myself, but it wasn't cheep. I got around $125 and 2hours in each rack.

cherrybomb1
03-27-2018, 10:51 PM
Those are sweet...what did you use for stock on the individual tubes.Is that welded at all or is there a rod running thru the bottom connected to the wing nuts.or am I wrong all together.

maltpj
03-27-2018, 11:00 PM
Those are sweet...what did you use for stock on the individual tubes.Is that welded at all or is there a rod running thru the bottom connected to the wing nuts.or am I wrong all together.

I used 2.5" square aluminum tube and 4" flat stock. Yes all-thread with wingnut for adjustments.

cherrybomb1
03-27-2018, 11:17 PM
I used 2.5" square aluminum tube and 4" flat stock. Yes all-thread with wingnut for adjustments.
Well done! My wheels are spinning now lol!

jknepp1954
03-28-2018, 12:32 AM
There is a company who commercially makes these - i forget who they are though. I remember Coach Tim who was previously on here - made some - very time consuming and costly.

Northern Sky
03-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Brian Craig took over for Tim.

I would suggest using nuts instead of wing nuts. Tention is your friend keeping angles set.

The inside dimension from Brian is 2.25 custom extrusion.

vegassalute
03-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Nice nice!!

PyroJoeNEPA
03-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Very nicely done. Like Northern Sky said, you definitely want to swap out the wing nuts with regular nuts. A cap nut on one end and standard on the other will work great---socket & cordless drill makes adjustment a breeze........and we use pieces of "pool noodles" from the Dollar Store to hold the smaller one shots in place.

jamisonlm3
03-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Hello fellow pyros,
I built 4 one shot racks this last weekend and though I'd show them off. I saved some money building them myself, but it wasn't cheep. I got around $125 and 2hours in each rack.Honestly, if you built those 4 racks for $125, that's not too bad IHMO. What size of theaded rod did you use? Is it stainless? How thick are the flat pieces? They look really good. Very solid.

There is a company who commercially makes these - i forget who they are though. I remember Coach Tim who was previously on here - made some - very time consuming and costly.If you have a drill press and miter saw, it's shouldn't be too much work. The use of stops really speed things up so you don't have to keeping remarking for each cut or hole to drill.

maltpj
03-28-2018, 07:55 PM
Honestly, if you built those 4 racks for $125, that's not too bad IHMO. What size of theaded rod did you use? Is it stainless? How thick are the flat pieces? They look really good. Very solid.

If you have a drill press and miter saw, it's shouldn't be too much work. The use of stops really speed things up so you don't have to keeping remarking for each cut or hole to drill.

I wish I built those 4 racks for $125! They cost me around $125 each / $500 for 4.

Your right drill press, band saw, and stops does speed thing up.

maltpj
03-28-2018, 08:01 PM
I wish I built those 4 racks for $125! They cost me around $125 each / $500 for 4.

Your right drill press, band saw, and stops does speed thing up.

3/8" stainless all-thread / flats are 3/16" / 2.5 square tube - 2.25 inside - 1/8" wall thickness

maltpj
03-28-2018, 08:06 PM
I'll switch to nuts if the wingnut don't workout. Have you had problems with wingnuts?

jamisonlm3
03-28-2018, 08:46 PM

Your right drill press, band saw, and stops does speed thing up.Ouch! It's been along time since I looked at aluminum prices. Still, very nice racks. These racks are for single shots like mines and comets? What's their outside diameter?

cptnding
03-28-2018, 08:49 PM
I'll switch to nuts if the wingnut don't workout. Have you had problems with wingnuts?

Nice job. Those look great.
I have had 3 15 shot Chinese ones for a couple of years. At $125 each you did well. Mine were $190 each after shipping and do not have stainless hardware. Already starting to rust.
The wing nuts have worked ok. I have to tighten them down really hard to keep them from moving easily. Never had an issue with them moving while firing. I thought about using nylock nuts but decided to wait until the rust gets worse and just replace threaded rod and all with stainless.
I would say use them as is and see what you think. Set some angles and tighten them down. You should be able to easily judge if they still move too easy.

displayfireworks1
03-29-2018, 04:33 AM
Those racks look nice. The commercially make ones have a flexible mental piece that holds the single shot in place.

displayfireworks1
03-29-2018, 04:34 AM
Those racks look nice. The commercially make ones have a flexible mental piece that holds the single shot in place. Next time I am at American Fireworks in Hudson Ohio I get pictures of the inside of theirs for a reference

Kenny East
03-30-2018, 05:02 AM
Nice single shot racks. If you're going to use wing nuts, use a lock washer with it. We use a similar setup for our rocket launch pads for races. The whole row of launch pads pivots on a threaded rod... Wing nuts on each end with a flat washer and a lock washer. I've wanted to make my own, waiting for the next time I end up with a good stack of aluminum load bars.