PDA

View Full Version : Cobra firmware question

bohicarlp
03-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Greetings all. Last year was first year licensed and I did part of my show with 18R2 and 2 modules. I am purchasing more today and was wondering the differences with firmware. I currently have 3.0.3. Next year I plan on scripting and maybe musical. Should I get the same firmware versions or upgrade now? If I upgrade firmware on the new modules, can I still use my remote and older modules with the 303? If responses come after I place my order, I will take all comments in consideration with future purchases. Thanks

cherrybomb1
03-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Bohicarlp,I purchased the 36m the last sale they had so I had to upgrade my 2 18m and my 18r2 remote to the 5.0.2 firmware.i just sent everything back to them and they updated everything for free...the turn around time was less then a week.I purchased another 36 m today and already received my email that it has been shipped out.

PTFan
03-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Definitely upgrade firmware!

bohicarlp
03-23-2018, 09:07 PM
I know about sending in your equipment and getting firmware upgraded or buy the stick. Thanks. On the website, the descriptions to me do not seem to be too big of a deal. Could someone tell me the benefits on the newer firmware. I know also you need at least 4.0 for the control panel. What are some of the benefits newer than 3.0.3 for the Joe schmoe like me? Thanks.

cherrybomb1
03-23-2018, 09:41 PM
I know about sending in your equipment and getting firmware upgraded or buy the stick. Thanks. On the website, the descriptions to me do not seem to be too big of a deal. Could someone tell me the benefits on the newer firmware. I know also you need at least 4.0 for the control panel. What are some of the benefits newer than 3.0.3 for the Joe schmoe like me? Thanks.

Sorry too tell you what you already knew.3.0.3 worked fine for a backyard shooter like myself.I only upgraded because I had to for the 36m.

cptnding
03-23-2018, 10:12 PM

There were 2 improvements that appealed to me. First was have the "Alternate firing". If you use a script you can use a designated key to fill black sky if something fails to light or ends way too early. The biggest was the MESH communication between modules. This means you do not have to have direct line of sight from ALL of you modules to the remote. They send the signal between each other. Depending on where you shoot this may not matter to you but it was a big help to me. No more raising up the modules on buckets or extending the antenna to get decent signal strength. I know there are many other improvements but that was what mattered to me. If you can stand the $99 for the re programmer stick it is very easy to do. The instructions were very easy to follow. Lots of steps but easy to follow.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-24-2018, 08:10 AM
IMHO cptnding's is spot on. The mesh feature is reason enough to do the update. That issue aside though... Why wouldn't you want to have the latest software update on your gear? It's a good bet that you're always going to gain functionality and not lose functionality when you do a software upgrade. So do yourself a favor and spend the $100 and get the re-programmer.

bohicarlp
03-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I understand software updates can be important. I guess I think of these firmware updates as a new windows for your computer. Just when you think you learned a system, whammo, you have to relearn a new one. I will pony up and get the re-programmer. On a side note, very excited for my new modules to start expanding my system.

Northern Sky
03-26-2018, 09:01 AM
If you are a pyro club member, they mostly use the most current sorfware for bigger diaplays.

If you only shoot displays with a few modules of your own 3.0.3 would be fine.

Donnie
03-26-2018, 11:59 AM
depending upon the amount of equipment, seems it would be cheaper in the long run to purchase the reprogrammer than to continually pay to ship equipment back and forth for firmware updates.

yet another example where local / regional clubs are a huge bonus. there's always someone (like me) around that not only has a reprogrammer, but will generally update all of your equipment for free at group shoots.

3.0.3 was rock solid, but I can't see going back to pre-control panel and pre-mesh at this point. Blows my mind that I still occasionally see people using 2.x firmware(!). But then again, I'm a musical guy... if manually firing, probably not too big a deal I guess.

Just to be clear that everyone knows, if you have the 18r2 and any firmware version that supports Control Panel, there is a FREE Lite version of Control Panel that will let you do all the pre-show checks. Can't fire from it, see a script running, etc., but you can check batteries, link quality, arm state, continuity, firing mode, etc. I have a tablet with the 'pro' (paid) version, but also have the free version on my phone.

rocky99
04-08-2018, 02:56 PM
If you are still interested, I have a reprogramer that I bought and never used that I would sell for $75. I'm not computer savy and Scott is not that far away from me.
P Henry
pfworks@roadrunner.com

bohicarlp
04-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Appreciate all the feedback. I will get a reprogramer but not at this moment. I agree that I should update firmware because I do plan on pyromusical in the near future. However, I just received three more 18m's with 3.0.3 and will do one more show with it. Looking forward to expand and help others the way you all have helped me.

Pyro@Mach13
04-23-2018, 01:52 PM
For MESH alone 5.0x is worth the upgrade.