PDA

View Full Version : E-Match vs. Talon Mode

Rick_In_Tampa
11-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Stupid question that probably doesn't require it's own thread, but....

Next year will be the first time I use the Cobra with both talons and firewire initiators. So I already know that any firing module I use with both must be in "E-Match Mode".

My question is this. What do I set the "pre-fire" time to in the script to make sure the talons light the effects at the time indicated as the "firing" time in the script?

Additionally, I *assume* that I don't use any pre-fire time for the initiators as they will light immediately. The current will just be flowing a little longer than normal to the initiators in "talon mode" correct?

esgrillo
11-27-2017, 12:19 AM
Stupid question that probably doesn't require it's own thread, but....

Next year will be the first time I use the Cobra with both talons and firewire initiators. So I already know that any firing module I use with both must be in "E-Match Mode".

My question is this. What do I set the "pre-fire" time to in the script to make sure the talons light the effects at the time indicated as the "firing" time in the script?

Additionally, I *assume* that I don't use any pre-fire time for the initiators as they will light immediately. The current will just be flowing a little longer than normal to the initiators in "talon mode" correct?

I think you mistakenly got it backwards on ematch vs talon mode. You want your mods in talon mode if you are using both talons and ematch.

Regarding prefire times, I use about 6-8 seconds for shells for lift and prefire, 4 - 5 secs for cakes, and 2-3 secs for short fused effects like strobes from '76.

However I personally do not use the prefire and lift options in CSC for the simple reason that the yellow line in the waveform area will no longer represent when the cue will fire but rather when it should show the effect with the prefire and lift added. Now that could be exactly what you want but for me I like to be able to glance at the waveform and look at the cue yellow lines and know thats when the mod will fire that cue.

That is no longer the case when you add prefire. You will only see that in the waveform when you highlight that specific line in the cue list. To see what I mean make 2 cues with the same event time and add 5 sec prefire time to one. I personally dont like that so I just adjust the event time to account for the fuse and lift burn. That way I know when I look at the waveform all the lines are exactly when the cue fires. Just a personal preference but wanted to make sure you see how it looks.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the reply Ed, and yes... I got that bass-ackwards. I meant to say in talon mode. Those offset times are exactly what I needed to know.

I'll play around with CSC and see how it goes.