PDA

View Full Version : How Much Powder in Each of the Firework Classes?

BillRoss
09-16-2017, 07:54 AM
I know that modern Class VII firecrackers can contain no more than 50 mg of black powder. So how much was in classes one through six? Did the amount vary brand to brand, and if so which brands were the loudest?

countryboy7978
09-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Anything sold after 1966 was technically not allowed to contain over 2 grains of flash powder which amounts to about 133mg. This would encompass Class 4 and 5. Firecrackers made prior to this time period could contain as much flash powder (or other report compositions) as they wanted. Most powder loads were dictated by what could fit in the casing while still providing room for the crimp or plug. Powder loads were typically added by eye rather than being measured. Sometime before the CPA ban there was a tariff placed on imported firecrackers over a certain size so you typically didn't have many firecrackers larger than 1.5". A typical 1.5" firecracker was designed to hold 2 grains give or take. Just like today some crackers were better constructed, used higher quality chemicals or had a slightly heavier load but most standard crackers were about the same loudness. Class 6 was a mixed bag as most earlier Class 6 still contained well over 50mg despite the labeling. This is why you see a big demand now for DOT era stuff (C5 and C6) especially from the people who grew up in the 70s-90s. Duck crackers for example are Class 6 but contain typically over 2 grain. In the late 80s the enforcement by CPSC was stepped up and importers wanting to avoid having to destroy or reclassify (as was allowed for a time) erred on the side of caution and underloaded their firecrackers. I have a list of powder weighs from some different crackers from the Class4-6 era that I can private message to you. They are not my findings so that's why I won't post publicly without permission from the people who did the weighing.

halk
09-17-2017, 01:21 PM
i can help you a bit with this. Oriental firecrackers usually contain only flashpowder or blackpowder, the former a mixture of potassium perchlorate and aluminum, the latter of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate. Domestic firecrackers of the larger types are called salutes and used a different powder formulations, usually containing potassium chlorate. Some of these were over a foot long, but those over 6 inches long were banned in 1912 by the railroad industry. Oriental firecrackers 2 inches and longer are also called salutes on the packages. The Classes you refer to are for retail Oriental firecrackers for the U.S. market only. There was almost no limit to the amount of either powder that could be put in firecrackers until after the Korean War. We call those Class 1 and Class 2 based only on certain brands being marked both made in China or Macau before or during that War.
After the War, cracker length, not the amount of powder contained in them, was reduced to a maximum of 1 1/2 inches by the government. For flashpowder crackers or flashcrackers as we call them, this resulted in a charge of 2 grains, or slightly more in some 'supercharged', slightly fatter, crackers. The ICC shipmant class (C) was added to the labels and the crackers were in the class called "Common Fireworks". These crackers included all Class 3 and Class 4 crackers, and all Class 5 (now DOT not ICC) crackers until 1977, when the safety regulators (CPSC) reduced the allowed charge of "explosive composition" (both powders) to 50 mg as they are today in Class 6 and 7 (now UNO 336 not DOT Class C). Some states reduced the allowable powder content to 25 mg.

Loudest? Who knows? Of the Orientals, my guess would be some old flashpowder salutes longer than two inches.

BillRoss
09-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Thanks much to both countryboy7978 & halk for the wonderful information. I love your willingness to help this newbie as I am just getting started in my new hobby.

countryboy7978
09-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Which classes are you going to concentrate on? Of course Class 5,6,7 are the most affordable, most bricks can be had for under $100, although it depends on the venue. Swap meets and networking with collectors are your best bets. Older classes are much more expensive and are not something you typically want to shoot off. I have some stuff from a few good friends that I will burn someday but shooting a rare pack is seen as a sacrilege my most.

RalphieJ
09-17-2017, 02:58 PM
"Loudest? Who knows? Of the Orientals, my guess would be some old flashpowder salutes longer than two inches."

In the Spring of 1986 I was extremely fortunate to acquire a full brick of Tiger Head Brand salutes, 10 packs of 4 per pack. The label featured a beautiful, large tiger head of dark yellow, red and black, on a royal blue background (would make a helluva tattoo) Made in Fushan Kwantung China printed at the bottom. A smaller tiger head was imprinted in red on a white background in the upper left-hand corner. The 4' square individual red-wrapped pack's label was printed "1 1/2 x 32 S" in black, but were rubber-stamped in red over the top of that 4 x 1 4 meaning of course, 4 inches by 1 inch, 4 in the pack. The fuses were (are?) a 2 1/2 " long paper loop ala Hitt's Flashcracka, and anyone with a modicum of common sense would tear one strand of the fuse near the crimp, giving one twice the safety factor. Crimped ends, of course, and each cracker wrapped, randomly in no order of assembly, red or blue star-burst wraps. Mostly red. The consensus of opinion of several practiced experts, that after the required series of "tests", these were equally potent as pre-ban and post-ban M-80's. Got them from Gemini of Dixon, Illinois, like I said, April 1986.

RalphieJ
09-17-2017, 03:01 PM
"After the War, cracker length, not the amount of powder contained in them, was reduced to a maximum of 1 1/2 inches by the government."

2" x 3/8" were available in Canada until they banned firecrackers in 1972.

countryboy7978
09-17-2017, 05:43 PM
I have shot some 2" tigers that came packed 10 in a pack that were at least cherry bomb loud. Same looped fuse. A buddy of mine shot a string of 200 at the PGI and it woke up the C line

cherrybomb1
09-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Hey RalphieJ,I lived in Dixon Illinois in 1986 when I got out of the Air Force.What was Gemini?

RalphieJ
09-18-2017, 08:54 AM
I ordered from a classified ad in American Fireworks News. Got the brick of 4", a 80/16 brick of Tiger Head 1 1/2", brick and crackers all wrapped in clear cellophane, and 4 16-shot color/salute cakes. I still have the carton. Had 2 class C labels, a UPS hazardous materials label, and another label 'This is to certify that the customer has obtained any permits if required in the state of destination....blah blah blah.", and then a bogus permit number that looks pretty darn official ("Permits? We don need no steenkin permits.") The return address was "Gemini, Rte 4, Dixon Il" I googled the address, and as far as I can tell there's no route 4 in Dixon. Things were still pretty loose back then. Remember, I live in NY, where back then nothing but smoke balls were sold, and those were under the counter and had to be asked for . Ever hear of Pyro Sonic Devices in Grand Haven Mi.? Ordered a ton of stuff from him (Phil Leech) back in the '70's. When I called him to place the first order I said I live in NY and he replied "I ship to New York every day." I never had a problem. The UPS delivery guys always had huge smiles, and I gave out catalogs to a couple of them. All of this was 30-40 years ago, statue of limitations has long expired.

cherrybomb1
09-18-2017, 07:29 PM
No route#4,there is route#2.Dixons claim to fame is being the hometown of President Ronald Reagan.My father being a former Millwright at Northwestern Steel and Wire and also a farmer wasn't a big fan.Im sure some of you old timers out in the states of Ohio and Pennsylvania can relate to that.

RalphieJ
09-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Yea, everything that I ever ordered back then was delivered via UPS or USPS, and except for PyroSonic Devices all had fictitious return addresses.