PDA

View Full Version : BATFE Type 54 in Northeast PA

nepapyro
08-21-2011, 09:51 PM
hello all,

first of all let me just say what a great resource this forum and dave's videos are. I have loved display fireworks for years and to have this forum and watch daves videos just shows me even more what a great thing having my license would be. i have been a "closet" display fireworks lover for years, studying daves videos and tutorials, as well as anything else i could get my hands on as reading or viewing material about display fireworks. i know a few people with their type 54 license, as well as some "old timers" who have had their license for 15 to 20 years, and have talked to them many times about the business as well as the shooting of display fireworks. i have even been around some shows as they were fired, and had a chance to watch what it takes to tie as well as shoot close up. about 3 years ago, i did everything i needed to get my license. filled out the paperwork, got my letter of storage from a local display company, and got my fingerprints. i had the packet sealed and a stamp on it, ready to mail.

After talking with the people i know (old timers and new timers) i heard some great responses about having your license and how fun it was. im not interested in shooting for money, just for family and friends and myself, to enjoy the art. after talking with friends, i heard good and bad stories, such as the ATF giving you a hard time when you have your license, as well as making a big deal out of someone who was in their interview and didnt have any experience shooting. the worst story i heard about was when the ATF came to a friends house the day after shooting a personal show for a family picknic, and harassing the shooter, demanding him to show them the empty boxes of the product that he shot as well as the pipes that he shot them out of. this person would never do anything illegal with his license, they just went to give him a hard time.

well after that, to be honest, it scared me off, and i never sent in my packet. now after 3 years of missing out on the enjoyment of shooting display fireworks, im still regreting that i didnt send it in. I love display fireworks and really want to have my license and be able to shoot shows for my family and friends.

does anyone have any advice for me?
i just purchased daves dvd on how to get your license, i figured it would help me prepare better and understand the interview, which some people have told me is the worst part about going for it. i cant wait for it to come in so i can watch it and see if there was anything i was missing.

i still have my fingerprint card from 3 years ago, could i still use that if i apply now? or should i go and get a new one?

do i need to have the experience that some people are telling me that they will deny me for if i dont have it? (actual shooting experience since i have so much knowledge at this point from watching and researching as well as being right infront of shows being set up and shot i could do an entire show with my eyes closed)

what should i do at this point? im about to say forget them and go for it! i want it so i can finally enjoy what i have wanted all these years.

looking forward to everyones responses!

displayfireworks1
08-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Your story sounds like a man who dates a woman for three years but he is not sure if he should marry her. LOL.
The ATF is not going to judge your competency to shoot fireworks. Get a new fingerprint card done and send your application in. If you are unsure of your abilities to use 1.3 fireworks, remember you do not have to purchase 10 inch shells. You can just buy one case of 1.3 Thunder Kings to add to a 1.4 display you are already shooting.
When I hear feedback from my ATF fireworks license video some people watch the video, get the concept of how it works and immediately pursue the license and get it. Still others never follow through for various reasons.
To use the analogy of the man that dates the woman for three years and is not sure if he should marry her. A long courtship prior to marriage does not guarantee a successful marriage. One would argue if you cannot make your mind up in three years perhaps, you should not marry the woman.
Granted having a license to purchase 1.3 fireworks does require additional responsibilities and accountability. However, if you really love fireworks it opens a completely new world of possibilities for your displays.

Dave displayfireworks1

indianahx
08-21-2011, 10:45 PM
My "interview" barely lasted an hour. There is no harassment. They don't pick your brain or try to get under your skin. Mine simply went down a checklist....making you aware of all of the ins and outs of the fine print. Storage, theft, loss, storage, use, and STORAGE. my lady asked a few questions of me about what I wanted out of this and what I wanted to do.....but that was only to give you a bretter direction of how to best do everything correctly and by the guidelines. Don't fret the interview.....it was the EASIEST part of the entire process!!! Just be kind to them and shoot the shit with them inbetween.....they're just doing a job and it doesn't hurt to make theirs easier and more fun for them. It will more than likely land you in a good spot in their eyes. Good luck!

nepapyro
08-21-2011, 10:57 PM
thats what i thought. i didnt think that the interview would be such a problem. and i am def. confident in my ability to use 1.3g fireworks. some people i know with licenses argue that i know more than they do. i have heard that kellner's, which is about an hour away from me does a PGI certification course every now and then. id love to take it, but i havent seen it on their website lately. i am aware of all of the additional responsibilities and accountability that i will have with my license, and that isnt even a worry to me. I DEF. WANT TO MARRY THE WOMAN! as long as she has some shells to shoot! honestly i think that some of my friends who have their license tell me these storys to try to make me not get a license because they know that i know everything. wierd. there isnt anything holding me back, after i recieve the video and watch it, im finally going to do it. if i dont need to have experience right away, and they arent going to stop me for anything, then there is nothing holding me back.

jknepp1954
08-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Now fnally you are "going to marry the woman"! LMAO = oh welcome to pyrotalk!
Don't let BATF scare you off. If you do everything right, and stand confident in front of them, their interviews are just simply that. They just need to know that you are indeed doing things the proper way. IF you do happen to mess up a smidge, hopefully instead of breathing like a fire eating dragon down your neck, they will instruct you on the proper way to do things. Have your paperwork up to date, and have it filed where you excatly know where it is at, should have no problems.
As far as taking the PGI course Kellners has theirs sometime in early April. They should have theirs announced within a month or 2 - just keep looking. OR = if you would want to take it sooner, the Pa Pyro Artist Club is sponsoring a class next month in Sept 17 at Black lick, Pa. I have a link on here of the details.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?546-Sept.-17-PGI-certification-class-Black-Lick-Pa.&p=5160&viewfull=1#post5160

Also another plug for the Pa Pyro Club who is sponsoring this cert course. I have belonged to this club for the past 6 years - a bunch of great guys/gals to hang with. They also do shows about 12 or so times a year, so you can use these shows to help broaden your scope in obtaining your complete PGI cert. If you want more info on joining them, either pm me, email me jknepp@kneppysfireworks.com or call me! would be more than glad to talk pyro sometime.
Joyce

nepapyro
08-22-2011, 12:26 PM
well i got to work today, called my local distributor, got a new updated storage letter on its way, and now im on my way to the state police station to get a new fingerprint card. My Birthday is the 24th of august. so 2 days. now im on a mission. my birthday present is going to be going to the post office and putting the packet in the mail. jknepp thanks very much for all your advice. i might be around for that certification, im in the wilkes-barre / scranton area of PA, and your about 3 hours away from me. so hopefully i will be able to make that.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Glad to hear you are going for it. Having your "54" opens new doors to product for you--even if you aren't doing "big shows". There are some awesome 1.3 cakes available & the "thunder kings"and other salutes to fatten up a show. A rack of fast fused 3" titanium salutes does have a tendency to be noticed! LOL!
I'm not far from you--will PM info.

jknepp1954
08-22-2011, 03:33 PM
well i got to work today, called my local distributor, got a new updated storage letter on its way, and now im on my way to the state police station to get a new fingerprint card. My Birthday is the 24th of august. so 2 days. now im on a mission. my birthday present is going to be going to the post office and putting the packet in the mail. jknepp thanks very much for all your advice. i might be around for that certification, im in the wilkes-barre / scranton area of PA, and your about 3 hours away from me. so hopefully i will be able to make that.
oh sorry - you misunderstood - this is not at my place but in Black Lick, Pa on Sept. 17. From your way you probably about another 80 or so miles further.

Palermitano2
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I love how all the Pennsylvanians can call and get a letter within 24 hrs....me where I live.....well their is no love in these parts ......my next move is to join a club in hopes of networking and finding new friends that will be willing to share their storage.......

nepapyro
08-27-2011, 05:31 PM
i want to thank dave and all of you for your help and opinions. i mailed my application package wednesday the 24th (my birthday). im waiting now for my call for my interview. not sure when that will happen, but im sure ill hear from them within the next week or two. if anyone has any advice for my interview id love to hear it! ill let everyone knows what happens after my interview. thanks again!

Pyro Nation
08-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Be truthful with the ATF when they interview you.... If you have questions concerning storage, usage, disposal, anything of that nature be sure to ask.

nepapyro
09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
still waiting for my call for my interview, its been about 2 weeks since i sent my application in. Hope everyone in NEPA and surrounding is ok from this flood! water was 10 blocks from my office! stay safe everyone, hopefully i get my call soon!

nepapyro
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
had my interview today, took about 45 minutes, really easy surprisingly. looks like now i just wait and i should have my permit soon!

Pyro Nation
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
You should have it in like 2 weeks...

nepapyro
10-07-2011, 06:57 PM
cant wait! looking forward to getting some shooting in soon!

jknepp1954
10-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Congrats NEPA!

nepapyro
10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
My Blue Envelope came in the mail today, its official! Type 54 Licensed!

nepapyro
10-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks to everyone who helped me get here as well!

PyroJoeNEPA
10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Congrats nepapyro! Welcome to "Club 54"!

Palermitano2
10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Congrats now get shooting........

Pyro Nation
10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
VERY NICE!!!!!!..... Now Where are you.. So we can PAIN THE SKY...lol

UniversalPyro
10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Congrats and if you want to shoot together, let me know...Im in western PA and got the funds and land to shoot when you want.

Universalpyro

nepapyro
10-28-2011, 04:12 PM
im always ready to shoot! pm me anyone who is around wilkesbarre / northeast PA and we will get something going!

Pyro Nation
10-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Pm sent to you nepapyro!!