PDA

View Full Version : Safety Question: Have you ever tried to vacuum seal firecrackers?

BillRoss
08-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Would it be safe to vacuum seal a brick of firecrackers? I'm talking about using one of those Seal-a-Meal machines. The objective would be to have long term storage where no moisture could get in.
I am a connoisseur of fine pipe tobacco and sometimes I may buy several pounds at once if there is a good deal. I then vacuum seal some of it. Tobacco (like fireworks) will stay fresh for many years if stored properly. The vacuum sealer compresses the tobacco into a very dense, tight brick. Would it be safe to try this with 1.4 consumer fireworks, or would the compression cause an explosion.
I'd hate to try this and kill myself and destroy the kitchen (and not sure which would make my wife sadder).

countryboy7978
08-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Would it be safe to vacuum seal a brick of firecrackers? I'm talking about using one of those Seal-a-Meal machines. The objective would be to have long term storage where no moisture could get in.
I am a connoisseur of fine pipe tobacco and sometimes I may buy several pounds at once if there is a good deal. I then vacuum seal some of it. Tobacco (like fireworks) will stay fresh for many years if stored properly. The vacuum sealer compresses the tobacco into a very dense, tight brick. Would it be safe to try this with 1.4 consumer fireworks, or would the compression cause an explosion.
I'd hate to try this and kill myself and destroy the kitchen (and not sure which would make my wife sadder).

I see no reason why this would be unsafe. Firecrackers as packaged would not go off unless subject to enough heat to cause ignition. Even if they were to ignite by say a stray bolt of lightning, the firecrackers would function normally as individuals not as a mass explosion. Go ahead and seal them up. Firecrackers kept dry will last decades if not longer. I have some Hitts brand firecrackers from the 1930's that still function like new.

nayslayer
08-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Nice. I'm a cigar lover myself. Yeah should be fine.

displayfireworks1
08-19-2017, 06:49 PM
My wife has one of those vacuum sealing machines also. I never though of using it for fireworks related products. Some of the firecracker packs I have are in a small sealed plastic bag. They were that way when I purchased them. I'll have to find time to post pictures of them. Maybe someone that is a collector can tell us about it if it is a common technique.

countryboy7978
08-19-2017, 09:00 PM
My wife has one of those vacuum sealing machines also. I never though of using it for fireworks related products. Some of the firecracker packs I have are in a small sealed plastic bag. They were that way when I purchased them. I'll have to find time to post pictures of them. Maybe someone that is a collector can tell us about it if it is a common technique.

Collectors put them in bags or plastic baseball card cases. This is especially true if they are going to handled such as at a swap Meet. Keep people's dirty and sweaty hands off of the delicate labels and glassine. It also protects from moisture either caused by humidity, rain or some clumsy person spilling their Starbucks on your packs. When you are selling them it's easier to price them with a sticker or writing on the bag. You wouldn't want to put a sticker on the pack unless you are just selling shooters.

Kenny East
08-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Works better if you have a vacuum sealer that can seal without drawing down a full vacuum. Too much vacuum could cause the tubes get squished or maybe damage the clay plugs. For collection purposes, i would add a silica desiccant to each bag, draw out most of the air and then seal the bag. Should keep them dry and safe for later use.

BillRoss
08-20-2017, 08:40 PM
That sounds like wise advise, stop short of a total vacuum. I have purchased a bunch of silica desiccant from Amazon so I will go with that advise as well. Thanks much!

Kenny East
08-21-2017, 05:35 AM
Could always walk around the shoe department at Walmart for some free desiccants.... Just bake them for a bit to drive off moisture and revive their moisture absorbing properties. I use them in a lot of my storage, never paid for any. Glad to help

halk
08-30-2017, 07:37 PM
I prefer shrinkwrap and use top quality, super tough Reynolon 40 ga. Crystal clear allows quality scans. But same caution applies, do not shrink too much and risk damaging fragile glassine or cellophane on the old packs. I back the longer packs with clear plexiglass to avoid accidental bends and shrinkwrap as a unit.

countryboy7978
08-30-2017, 08:33 PM
Nice to hear you chime in Hal. Guys, listen to Hal. He's the real deal in collectors.

halk
09-02-2017, 02:25 PM
My roll is large enough to supply free wrap for every collector out there, but its just too tough to get it off the roll except in a big wad. A heat gun and 12" electric sealer and you are all set. Shrink the corners in first, then the edges, and finally the back and front of the packs gently to leave a nice smooth surface for scanning.