PDA

View Full Version : Dextrin?

chev385
08-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Can dextrin be substuited for corn starch?

PyroJoeNEPA
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Dextrin is made by baking corn starch in the oven on a cookie sheet at 275 degrees for about 2 hours turning is every 20-30 minutes until the color changes. There are videos on You Tube how to do it--it is simple & corn starch is much cheaper than dextrine if you buy it at a bulk food supplier..

Ralph
08-17-2011, 03:13 AM
while making your own dextrin is certainly cheaper commercially dextrin is made by acid hydrolysis (though residual acid is not something to be worried about as it is most certainly taken care of) thermal hydrolysis just can not convert all of the starch like acid hydrolysis can so commercial dextrin will always be better, I used to make my own than tried commercial stuff and have never gone back

Chris H
08-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Thermal hydrolysis, if done correctly, can convert most of the starch over to dextrin. It's one of those things that isn't really that easy to judge as you're just essentially taking long chains and chopping them up. There is some grey area between what is really a starch, and what is a dextrin. Acid hydrolysis, and a few other methods, tend to cut the chains shorter, which makes them stickier. A single "link" in one of these chains is a simple sugar.

There are some patents around on how this whole process is done. I've seen a few that are potentially applicable for home use, but most probably wouldn't bother.

I completely agree though. Once you go (good) commercial you'll probably never go back.

chev385
08-17-2011, 07:25 PM
hey guys thanx for the imput, i've seen the u tube vids on this process. the reason for the ? was i made a large order from pyro direct. and in the proccess i forgot the dextrin, after paying for 2 seperate shipping fees i didnt want another for more then the cost of the dextrin. i know im a cheap ass, lol. im gonna make some dextrin as i need it now, but i will definately be buying some in my next order. along with charcol because that was a pain in the ass to make.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Can you tell me what the advantage of using the commercial grade dextrine is over the "home brew"? With the same weight of each used, does it have a better binding characteristic, better burn quality? etc......look forward to your input.

Chris H
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
A fair warning that if you're planning to use said future charcoal to make lift and break you'll probably be sorely disappointed if you go with commercial airfloat. Commercial airfloat charcoal leaves something to be desired in the speed department. Bigger mills with higher efficiencies can make do, but it doesn't sound like you have one. It's possible to buy good charcoal however.

As far as the commercial vs. homemade dextrin. The commercial is stickier and gives stronger stars in my experience. The lack of mess in my kitchen isn't so bad either. I ALWAYS seemed to cover every visible surface with a thin coat of corn starch or sticky Dextrin while stirring it. Don't get me wrong they'll both work. The other advantage I've found is how consistent it is. Each batch of homemade is a little different, though you can help avoid that with iodine testing. I've been using the stuff from Phil and could not be happier. http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_119&products_id=283