View Full Version : Gasoline fireball

Pyropug
05-28-2017, 10:46 PM
First time gasoline fireball testing
https://youtu.be/STi3WYNWBTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STi3WYNWBTE&feature=youtu.be

displayfireworks1
05-28-2017, 10:58 PM
That looked great. If that was at night that would have really looked nice. How many inches is the mortar? Also, if you use this for a display , connect a ground based salutes next to that gas mortar slightly above the ground. Put both e-match on the same hit. The boom makes the fire ball pretty dramatic. When you press the button , you get boom and flame. Did you use the plastic bottle technique.

Pyropug
05-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Motor size 8" x 20" Charges where in plastic pet bottles the charge contained 7oz fg powder with a few teaspoons of titanium.

Northern Sky
05-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Only a small pinch of Ti sponge needed.

Pyropug
05-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Only a small pinch of Ti sponge needed.

Worked out so well I don't want to change the recipe at this time, notice no fall out.

Tehrecon
07-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Being new to gas mines, I have a full understanding of the composition/assembly, however my concern is the material of the mortar used. Anyone have suggestions on the type of steel to use? Mines will be welded.

aerialpyro
07-24-2017, 09:58 AM
From a safety standpoint, the softer steels will be less likely to cause shrapnel during a failure. Cooling steel down fast hardens it and moves the failure strength higher, but also causes it to be more brittle. For this reason, I would let the welds cool slowly instead of quenching them. Also select a filler material that matches your base metal properties.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Being new to gas mines, I have a full understanding of the composition/assembly, however my concern is the material of the mortar used. Anyone have suggestions on the type of steel to use? Mines will be welded.

One thing you do not want to overlook is the tie off for the charge in the bottom of the tube to keep the bottle with the charge from floating. Some people use a large nut with a slot cut into the side welded to the bottom. Another method is a link of heavy chain--same thing--slot cut in it & welded to bottom. The large diameter mines are easy to set up [12" 8" & 6"] but the small ones [4"] are impossible to get your hand down it to place the charge. We have a bunch of the 4" but seldom use them. After you shoot a couple 12" you are spoiled! LOL.