PDA

View Full Version : Stretch wrap for securing cakes?

Grantsullivan
05-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Anyone had success using 5" stretch wrap to secure cakes to a wood stake?

I'm looking for a faster method to secure safely, rather than gluing them to boards.

FlyingDutchman
05-24-2017, 03:56 PM
You can duct/gorilla tape cakes together, they should be fine.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2194&stc=1

The board in the picture is just used to angle the cakes.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Duct tape is quick & easy!

Kenny East
05-29-2017, 02:18 AM
I ran out of duct tape for my show today... Tied all the medium size cakes to steaks with para cord.. Duct tape would probably be easier than shrink wrap... But they do sell those handy rolls... Like 3" wide... Think it may cost more than duct tape

esgrillo
05-29-2017, 11:10 AM
I used clear packing tape. It is cheaper than duct tape and works fine.

isp307
05-29-2017, 04:51 PM
I also use the clear packing tape and have had no problems.

Twitch
07-25-2017, 10:10 AM
One thing to think about with stretch wrap, it causes a lot of static electricity. Something you definitely don't want especially if using ematch.

WithReport
07-25-2017, 05:37 PM
I used some 5inch stretch wrap for some simple test firing. I pounded stakes in the ground then wrapped the 200gm cakes to the stakes. It worked fine.

However I disregard that approach in my actual 4th show due to 1) static concerns - I used MJG initiators, and 2) concerns of the wrap loosening or failing with heat or flames.

I used stakes and tape which was quicker than the stretch wrap.

Pyro Paul
07-25-2017, 08:00 PM
I've worked with professional shooters that use shrink wrap to cover guns preshow after matching up the shells when rain was expected. Not that we stood over them while we did it but the intention was to shoot thru the shrink wrap and it worked just fine. On the other hand I have a friend that liked to do acetylene/oxygen "party poppers" until he didn't shake out the trash bag to dissipate the static in the bag before inserting the torch tip inside and turning on the gas. Luckily he wasn't severely injured, just some singed eyebrows and hair and a temporary loss of hearing, but it taught him a very extreme lesson and he hasn't done another one since.