PDA

View Full Version : Typical salary to shoot display fireworks

Blackdevil77
08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I was always wondering this but never asked because I figured there is no specific answer. I'm sure there are a lot of factors. I want to give bay fireworks a call to see if they need any help or extra shooters but am waiting until after I take the PGI shooters course on september 17th. How much would a typical shooter starting out for a company get paid per show? I have no idea of how that works and don't know what to expect at all as far as pay goes. Any ballpark estimates? I have a class B CDL and I can get the hazmat endorsement fairly easily, would that make a difference?

Pyro Nation
08-04-2011, 02:03 PM
from my understanding... first one is free or $50.. then next 2 are $50 then ya share whatever 10% of the show cost between those who helped

Blackdevil77
08-04-2011, 03:16 PM
This is for the crew members or the person the pyrotechnician that picks up the truck, drives to the site and does all that etc?

Chris H
08-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Typically when I've shot shows in the past it was through clubs, so it's all volunteering for the love of it. The few professional shows I was making between $40-$50 as essentially plain old crew. I've had a few lead shooter positions offered, which depending on the size of the show were somewhere in the ball park of $300-500, from which I'd have to hire on a few helpers from. You wont be getting rich anytime soon.

Blackdevil77
08-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Typically when I've shot shows in the past it was through clubs, so it's all volunteering for the love of it. The few professional shows I was making between $40-$50 as essentially plain old crew. I've had a few lead shooter positions offered, which depending on the size of the show were somewhere in the ball park of $300-500, from which I'd have to hire on a few helpers from. You wont be getting rich anytime soon.

lol I don't plan on getting rich, I was just wondering. I'd like to do that for the love of it more then anything else, I won't be quitting my day job lol.

Speaking of which, I work 7am-3pm Monday through Friday. Would I be able to work for a company like Bay Fireworks without it interfering with my current job?

Pyro Nation
08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Well, it consists of,,, helping pack up vehicle of racks and material,,,, Going to the show and then setting up... Most I been part of been a 10 - 12 hr day

J's12talk
08-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I was always wondering this but never asked because I figured there is no specific answer. I'm sure there are a lot of factors. I want to give bay fireworks a call to see if they need any help or extra shooters but am waiting until after I take the PGI shooters course on september 17th. How much would a typical shooter starting out for a company get paid per show? I have no idea of how that works and don't know what to expect at all as far as pay goes. Any ballpark estimates? I have a class B CDL and I can get the hazmat endorsement fairly easily, would that make a difference?

$50-$300 is average, shooting in the NY city might bring more rather than less. I have friends that shoot for Bay fireworks, keep me posted. If you need help I will see what i can do from the inside.

Blackdevil77
08-04-2011, 11:34 PM
$50-$300 is average, shooting in the NY city might bring more rather than less. I have friends that shoot for Bay fireworks, keep me posted. If you need help I will see what i can do from the inside.

Ok awesome! PM sent :)

Blackdevil77
08-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Well, it consists of,,, helping pack up vehicle of racks and material,,,, Going to the show and then setting up... Most I been part of been a 10 - 12 hr day

I figured that, but how often would this be happening? Multiple times a week? Once in a while? Mostly during the week, or week ends?

Pyro Nation
08-04-2011, 11:42 PM
mostly weekends except summer time seems to be also some during weekdays... Every company is different can only go by what I have seen with this one... Does some indoor pyro stuff for plays and concerts, but mainly Friday - Sunday

out of 89 shows 5 were during a weekday

Blackdevil77
08-05-2011, 12:02 AM
mostly weekends except summer time seems to be also some during weekdays... Every company is different can only go by what I have seen with this one... Does some indoor pyro stuff for plays and concerts, but mainly Friday - Sunday

out of 89 shows 5 were during a weekday

Then I would be perfectly ok with my work schedule :D

Pyro Nation
08-05-2011, 12:08 AM
There ya go....

shellshocker
08-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Don't touch a show for free, even if it is your first. If you work, you should get paid. Any professional company will pay you if you work for them. As a base shooter, your pay should be based on the value of the show. Average is $100.00 - $200.00 a show. Some will have a set fee but almost all of the big players will have a 10% fee they pay to the lead shooter. The lead then hires his crew at whatever cost he thinks he can pay you or what he feels your worth. The lead is where the money is. Your CDL will make you a lead faster than anything else you can do.

Blackdevil77
08-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Don't touch a show for free, even if it is your first. If you work, you should get paid. Any professional company will pay you if you work for them. As a base shooter, your pay should be based on the value of the show. Average is $100.00 - $200.00 a show. Some will have a set fee but almost all of the big players will have a 10% fee they pay to the lead shooter. The lead then hires his crew at whatever cost he thinks he can pay you or what he feels your worth. The lead is where the money is. Your CDL will make you a lead faster than anything else you can do.

Thank god for my current job lol. I wouldn't of gotten a CDL otherwise. Now, I'm a step ahead already

Pyro Nation
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
There are 3 classes of CDL... A, B, C I have the C already... so up to 26,000 lbs I can do... passed the hazmat test today

Blackdevil77
08-05-2011, 03:53 PM
A being tractor trailer, B being the same as C, with the addition of air brakes, and C being as you said, up to 26,000 lbs. The truck I drive at work weighs between 16,000-17,000 pounds. I can't remember the exact weight. I have a Class B CDL. Still have to take the hazmat test, which is in the plans for the near future

VFI_Fireworks
08-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Unless your doing it for fun you will find most companies pull in what they call "suckers" then they may through you a free dinner some moldy bread and dry burger and say wasn't that fun....See as a volunteer they can get away with this but start being wiser about this stuff and you'll get the $50.00 for 12 hours of WORK!!! On avaerage a large company makes 3-4X the cost of the product so $1000 in 1.3 would be a $3000.00 show or the poor community that is shelling out $16,000 is only getting about $4000 in 1.3. Is it worth doing for less. Only if your doing the shows by yourself I have a tight budget and make just enough to cover expenses but its because I love doing it. The Big Shows are doing it to make $$$$ and when your as big as they are its your name your paying for and nobody looks at an upstart. There is no money in Shows for the little guys unless your well connected....

Blackdevil77
08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Unless your doing it for fun you will find most companies pull in what they call "suckers" then they may through you a free dinner some moldy bread and dry burger and say wasn't that fun....See as a volunteer they can get away with this but start being wiser about this stuff and you'll get the $50.00 for 12 hours of WORK!!! On avaerage a large company makes 3-4X the cost of the product so $1000 in 1.3 would be a $3000.00 show or the poor community that is shelling out $16,000 is only getting about $4000 in 1.3. Is it worth doing for less. Only if your doing the shows by yourself I have a tight budget and make just enough to cover expenses but its because I love doing it. The Big Shows are doing it to make $$$$ and when your as big as they are its your name your paying for and nobody looks at an upstart. There is no money in Shows for the little guys unless your well connected....

Even with the CDL and hazmat endorsement and being the lead shooter? A few guys here were saying you get 10% commission of the show cost. Then you pay your crew what you feel they are worth. (of course i would pay my crew lol)

Pyro Nation
08-15-2011, 07:51 PM
How it works for what i have done is... the crew gets 10% of the show cost and then split among the crew no matter if your a lead guy or cdl or whatever

J's12talk
08-15-2011, 09:50 PM
The way my company does it is 10% goes to labor and the lead splits it up as he see's fit. Needless to say if your greedy you will end up with a bottom of the barrel crew. Anyone hard working and with skills won't shoot with you.

Blackdevil77
08-16-2011, 06:45 AM
I definitely won't be stingy with my crew. Is there a standard when paying the crew? How much would they typically get paid?

Blackdevil77
08-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Taking the Hazmat test thursday. After that, the PGI training course on September 17th. Hopefully those 2 things help me

Blackdevil77
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Just passed the Hazmat test!!! :D Finger prints and background checks (which should be no problem, I'm squeeky clean) Making my way through lol

Pyro Nation
08-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Grats on passsing...

VFI_Fireworks
08-21-2011, 05:45 PM
First "Blackdevil" though you may disagree your a beginner and nothing will change that til you get atleast your 5 shoots require for PGI and then your still not going to be the lead for a big company .... Reason why there are about 20 others wanting the same as you... Sorry for that bit of bad news but its only the truth. Some of you ask what you should make and it should be a flat 100.00-250.00 based on the show as a shooter. Good luck and happy job hunting.

wpman321
08-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I work for a company during the fourth of july holiday as a shooters assistant and they pay 250.00 a day, two shows and I cleared 500 bucks not bad for a little work and a whole lot of fun! When I got hired I never asked what the pay was but I was surprised when I got my check. This past fourth was one show at a C.C. and got 174.00 rate plus 51.00 per diem-meals & incedental Expenses after taxes was 211.38 for a show that 4" shells were the biggest we shot.

bweaver1985
08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
You will not get rich for sure doing this but the money is ok... I just got a check for the July 4th show. 5 Days + 13 other Weekely shows. Around $1,000.

Pyro Nation
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah... but ya get to blow things up and get paid... LOL

Blackdevil77
08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
First "Blackdevil" though you may disagree your a beginner and nothing will change that til you get atleast your 5 shoots require for PGI and then your still not going to be the lead for a big company .... Reason why there are about 20 others wanting the same as you... Sorry for that bit of bad news but its only the truth. Some of you ask what you should make and it should be a flat 100.00-250.00 based on the show as a shooter. Good luck and happy job hunting.

I certainly don't disagree. I am most definitely a beginner. Everybody has to start somewhere, and I'm willing to learn.

mici59
09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
you did 13 shows and only got paid $1,000? and you had to wait almost 2 months to get it? Who do you work for? That pay sucks.......

mici59
09-28-2011, 09:54 AM
seriously though.....whoever you worked for, how did you let them get away with that type of pay scale?