PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale?

nayslayer
04-13-2017, 09:52 PM
I think it's great opportunity to get fireworks at a great price, but why is it promoted by retailers so much. What started this practice, is there any history of this. I can't think of any other merchandise that is treated this way. Maybe going out of buisness sale at a furniture store, even that's a bad analogy.

Pyropug
04-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Wholesalers are wholesalers even while they maybe operating a retail store, think of it like a outlet store. Their main business is importing and selling to retailers. Often there are price tiers to quantity purchased, so Joe Shmoe is paying significantly more than a retail store/tent is. That's why group buys are important to hobbyist. Real retailers are not pushing wholesale, there are far more retail only establishments than wholesalers with a retail store. I'm from WI, I can only name 2-3 wholesalers, but can name significantly more retail only places.

displayfireworks1
04-14-2017, 06:32 AM
This is one of the nice things about buying 1.3 fireworks. Gone are all the gimmicks. Most 1.3 dealers , the price is the same all year for one case or twenty. Consumer fireworks are marketed like a seasonal item to consumers. Mom and Pop fireworks stores buy wholesale and resell it. They probably get a better price than we do. If they are a regular reseller of the brand , they should get a better price. Some distributors have different levels of wholesale. I am sure if you wanted to buy $2000.00 worth of Christmas Tree lights, there probably a wholesalers for that also.

Pyropug
04-14-2017, 09:51 AM
This is one of the nice things about buying 1.3 fireworks. Gone are all the gimmicks. Most 1.3 dealers , the price is the same all year for one case or twenty. Consumer fireworks are marketed like a seasonal item to consumers. Mom and Pop fireworks stores buy wholesale and resell it. They probably get a better price than we do. If they are a regular reseller of the brand , they should get a better price. Some distributors have different levels of wholesale. I am sure if you wanted to buy $2000.00 worth of Christmas Tree lights, there probably a wholesalers for that also.

Unfortunately in my situation I cannot get ATF liscence. The property that would have a magazine is rural property that I own from where I grew up. I'm 140 miles from there living in a condo in a metro area. I'm not sure how far a residence needs to be from magazine but I'm sure I'm way out of range, and being a long haul truck driver I also wouldn't be on site Monday through Friday. For contingency that also would be beyond the 100 mile mark. So I just do what I can with 1.4 until I retire lol

PyroJoeNEPA
04-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately in my situation I cannot get ATF liscence. The property that would have a magazine is rural property that I own from where I grew up. I'm 140 miles from there living in a condo in a metro area. I'm not sure how far a residence needs to be from magazine but I'm sure I'm way out of range, and being a long haul truck driver I also wouldn't be on site Monday through Friday. For contingency that also would be beyond the 100 mile mark. So I just do what I can with 1.4 until I retire lol

Don't feel bad if you are not able to bump up to 1.3g status. I have seen several shows that were 100% 1.4g & 1.4pro that were incredibly designed and executed. There is so much diversified product out there to pick from compared to 10-15 years ago!!! Sure, a couple 8" Nishiki Kamura shells and a couple hundred salutes make a great finale--but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". The average person isn't looking to see if your shells are 150 feet up or 600 feet up when they break. It is all about having [safe] fun!--and smelling the smoke!

Pyropug
04-14-2017, 07:25 PM
Don't feel bad if you are not able to bump up to 1.3g status. I have seen several shows that were 100% 1.4g & 1.4pro that were incredibly designed and executed. There is so much diversified product out there to pick from compared to 10-15 years ago!!! Sure, a couple 8" Nishiki Kamura shells and a couple hundred salutes make a great finale--but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". The average person isn't looking to see if your shells are 150 feet up or 600 feet up when they break. It is all about having [safe] fun!--and smelling the smoke!

This will be my first year using dominator pro 1.4 AP products. Found a supplier near me offering buy per piece as well as case. Last year I did a lot of modifying cakes and marking slices, to time consuming doing it that way.

Kenny East
06-05-2017, 03:26 AM
Love me some wholesale... Biggest reason for wholesale in fireworks is the crazy mark up... Most cases only cost $10-50 a case in quantities over 500... They can do a better deal on cases since their is such a margin... I have only had one store refuse to sell better price by the case... And the worst part was, i was trying to buy a few cases of their brand.. Said there is no way anyone is selling them at the price i gave him from a competitor... Shook his hand bought a few items and on to the next store... Save money, more boom... Pyro econ 101

BhadDawg
06-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Love me some wholesale... Biggest reason for wholesale in fireworks is the crazy mark up... Most cases only cost $10-50 a case in quantities over 500... They can do a better deal on cases since their is such a margin... I have only had one store refuse to sell better price by the case... And the worst part was, i was trying to buy a few cases of their brand.. Said there is no way anyone is selling them at the price i gave him from a competitor... Shook his hand bought a few items and on to the next store... Save money, more boom... Pyro econ 101

Just speaking from a retailers point,
Sometimes when someone comes in during the season and wants to buy cases of an item, you may be asking the retailer to exhaust his current inventory of that product. That not always such a big deal if he has a wholesaler close buy and the item is in stock at said wholesaler, if it is a hot item that he may not be able to restock, he may tell you know on the discounts.

We have had customers in the past want to do this and we oblige all we can, but cannot always do it. We do have some clientele that orders a couple of months ahead and those are not a problem to give generous discounts to. The retail business is just like shooting a show, something is not going to go as planned, products not making it through customs in time, not showing up at all, etc.. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong in retail.

The other problem we run into is that the markup is not as generous on the can shells and some of the bigger cakes so we cannot always discount it as much.