PDA

View Full Version : Mortar rack advice.

Frankiefireworks19
07-24-2011, 12:23 AM
"BUILD YOUR OWN RACKS!" yell the more experienced pyros! Well there is a couple of routes to take and I would appreciate some advice on which is the best. Now I want upwards of 300 mortar tubes in my show for next year all built into racks. How dreadfully boring is loading that many shells one by one. Anyway I want nice sturdy mortar tubes of course so hdpe correct? I was checking out pyrodirects already built racks. For 3 50 shot racks it would cost me over $700 after the shipping. For 250 mortar tubes only it would cost me about $500 after shipping. 1). Should I just get the already built racks and be done, or would it be a better and cheaper idea to buy the tubes and then buy wood from home depot and build my own racks? 2). Is there a better and cheeper place other than pyro direct that I might want to check out? "Please remember I'm all the way in Florida. Thanks so much for any advice.

jknepp1954
07-24-2011, 07:49 AM
I have a few racks from PD - very nicely built. For now - keep watching his website or subscribe to his newsletters - every now and then he does sales of these - we bought from one of these sales 2 years ago - saved like 25% at the time.

indianahx
07-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Pm sent..............

Pyro Nation
07-24-2011, 08:11 PM
pm sent as well.....

Palermitano2
07-24-2011, 08:43 PM
triple pm.......

Pyro Nation
07-24-2011, 09:11 PM
lol.... no I triple dog dare you... :O P

Palermitano2
07-24-2011, 10:42 PM
lmao ......

indianahx
07-25-2011, 06:04 AM
He skipped the double and went straight dir the infamous "triple dog dare...."

tennpyro1
07-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Not the triple dog dare the dare of all dares its getting serious around here.

Frankiefireworks19
07-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Haha thanks guys for all the advice. It was all equally very helpful

LuxExTenebris
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
I was wondering the same myself. I've seen some YouTube videos of rack builds that looked as good as you can buy from some websites. So I was looking at just buying the tubes from either Pyro Direct or Pyro boom and then building my own. Judging from the trifecta above there is some good advice floating around and any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks

Palermitano2
07-26-2011, 01:41 PM
I was wondering the same myself. I've seen some YouTube videos of rack builds that looked as good as you can buy from some websites. So I was looking at just buying the tubes from either Pyro Direct or Pyro boom and then building my own. Judging from the trifecta above there is some good advice floating around and any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks

I build my own its so easy Its the way to go. Also one of the companies mentioned above runs specials in the off season free shipping and such.......

PyroJoeNEPA
07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
I agree with Palermitano2--it is really easy to build your own racks. There are several threads on the site already discussing it. I am a lousy carpenter--but I can build racks!!! Watch for sales on tubes & shipping deals & get as much as you can "off season".

hokester44
07-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Definitely build. Once you figure out the design you like best, its pretty easy to crank them out.

liam
07-26-2011, 06:38 PM
It seems like the "true firework junkies" promote building one's own mortar rack. Does anyone have an itemized list of necessary building material (i.e.- HDPE tubes, lumber, plywood, etc...) as well as instructions?

LuxExTenebris
07-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I figured building was the way to go. I figured for smaller racks this was most definitely the way to go but what about when you get up to say 30 mortars or more? Are those still pretty straight forward or would you guys recommend buying at that size and larger.

crackerbomb
07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
I figured building was the way to go. I figured for smaller racks this was most definitely the way to go but what about when you get up to say 30 mortars or more? Are those still pretty straight forward or would you guys recommend buying at that size and larger.

If you are shooting consumer fireworks I would go with the 12" DR11

Pyro Nation
07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Well,...... 12" DR11, I use 2x8 for bottom at 24 1/4" and 2x8 for side of course at 11".... Then use boards from pallets at 27" long.... those measurements I have used for most racks...

floridapyro
07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I have never built a rack but am going to. Being in the construction industry my whole life it seems pretty clear. I would think you would buy your tubes measure them and build around that to make them tight and safely sturdy. Also at your preferred angle ie straight fan. With a good sturdy base as well.

Pyro Nation
07-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Exactly Florida... i make my racks somewhat tight, but I like to leave a bit loose for ease of removing or something goes wrong with the rack.. just personal preference

LuxExTenebris
07-26-2011, 09:32 PM
what size racks do you make Pyroliffic? I was curious if it made sense to build 30 shot racks or buy one from a site.

Pyro Nation
07-26-2011, 09:45 PM
the dimensions I gave make a 30 shot I believe it was.... u can play with it to adjust..... in the video at 46 sec's in the rack on the end is the 30 shot

http://www.youtube.com/user/sodajerk25?feature=mhee#p/u/7/qU5Pa2lD8w8

PyroJoeNEPA
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM

I have found it a lot easier to make all my smaller [1.4g] racks in 10 shots. That way I can use any multiple of them in any configuration I want--easy to screw five together for a 50 shot "W" compared to hauling a 50 shot back breaker--and can set the angle exactly how I want it-although there are a lot of guys that do it that way. All a matter of personal preference. Another thing, it takes up less room to stack 20 10 shot racks than 4 50 shot racks. Happy assembling!!!!

Palermitano2
07-27-2011, 02:34 PM
I have found it a lot easier to make all my smaller [1.4g] racks in 10 shots. That way I can use any multiple of them in any configuration I want--easy to screw five together for a 50 shot "W" compared to hauling a 50 shot back breaker--and can set the angle exactly how I want it-although there are a lot of guys that do it that way. All a matter of personal preference. Another thing, it takes up less room to stack 20 10 shot racks than 4 50 shot racks. Happy assembling!!!!

Great point I had a 60 shot rack that saw action 2 times . then I broke it down to 3 20 shot racks so much easier to lug around ....

LuxExTenebris
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the good advice. Now what about materials to build. I've seen in some places where people used 1x6 and 1x3 pieces of wood. Still I've seen others use thicker pieces. I've even read a few places that it's best to use OSB to prevent splintering if a mortar explodes. What do you guys recommend?

Palermitano2
07-27-2011, 05:29 PM
I have used both but plywood is much stronger.I just happned to find osb in the cull section at the home cheepo.....

LuxExTenebris
07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I have used both but plywood is much stronger.I just happned to find osb in the cull section at the home cheepo.....

So is there a real concern with splintering should the mortar tube explode or is that a once in a blue moon scenario. What thickness in your plywood do you use?

Pyro Nation
07-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I use plywood....OSB over time degrades a lot faster in my experience

LuxExTenebris
07-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Good info. I think I'm going to go with plywood then. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Palermitano2
07-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Dont Forget the poor mans rack either....all those kits come with those tubes that keep adding up....save them they are reusable....

ktaylor
07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
I've ordered my first 50 mortar tubes from Pryo Direct this year and built some racks out of 1x3 and 2x6 scraps laying around the garage. I must say it was very gratifying and a great way to get the boys involved in some basic carpentry work.

I took Daves advice and put a 1 1/2" screw through the bottom of the rack and into the mortar plug of each to secure them. Also put some eye-lets on the ends of the racks (2 on each end) to allow a metal rod to be hammered into the ground to secure them as well.

Happy Building!

indianahx
07-28-2011, 04:25 PM
There is a "great debate" over which is better to use. Plywood vs. Osb. I've seen guys that swear only to plywood and guys to osb. There's those that preach plywood on top and osb for bottom rails. I myself used only 1x3 for all my rails, bottom, side, and spacers. Some guys will say that "x" will splinter and frag more than "y" in a blowout occurs.....I feel that if your racks are far away enough in the blowout, then safety isn't compromised.

There are tons of threads on this so I would suggest searching them, do a lot of reading and comparison, and in the end build whatever YOU are comfortable building. Just remember, only make them as heavy as your willing to carry ;-)

P.s.....if you'd like me to send you any pictures or details of mine I will do so just shoot me a pm