PDA

View Full Version : Fusing cakes & mortars

liam
07-22-2011, 09:19 AM
can someone answer the following questions:

1. Should I purchase "quick" fuse or "cannon" fuse? I viewed video clips of both in action. It appears the "quick" fuse is much faster than the "cannon" fuse which burns at a slower rate. When would I use cannon vs. quick fuse?

2. I would like to fuse multiple 500g cakes together so then go off in sequential order. When the last shot of the first cake goes off, the first shot on the second cake goes off...so on and so forth. I know where the first shot of each cake is (fuse end), but I am not sure where the tube containing the last shot is (it appears as though it is diagonally across the cake in the opposite corner), but I simply want to make sure.

3. Similarly to the cakes, I would like to fuse a few mortars together so the shells are shot off one by one. I've heard multiple people tell me that PVC is not safe, and I should be using either fiberglass or HDPE tubes. What height (either 12" or 15") do you recommend? Also, what should the measurement of the tube (inside diameter) be?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

tennpyro1
07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
For your mortars use hdpe get the Dr11 tubes use 12" that would be best for your mortar tubes 1.75 is the measurements if you sequence them cannon fuse would be best because it would burn slower allowing your cake to.finish.

liam
07-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the advise. I went to Pyrodirect and amd looking at the 30 shot rack - straight with 12" DR-11 mortars. What are your thoughts?

tennpyro1
07-22-2011, 11:57 AM
That's a good rack what kind of cans or shells you will be shooting

liam
07-22-2011, 12:11 PM
that was going to be my next question to you! I am pretty new to fireworks and any suggestions would be great. My friend has suggested "Black Mamba" and "exterminator"

tennpyro1
07-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Both are good I use excalibers those are pretty much the best on the market black mambas and extermantors are good to

liam
07-22-2011, 12:26 PM
All 3 brands (black mamba, excalibers, and exterminators) will fit into the 12" DR 11 mortar

tennpyro1
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes they will

liam
07-22-2011, 12:31 PM
All 3 brands (black mamba, excalibers, and exterminators) will fit into the 12" DR 11 mortar?

One more thing...I would like to fuse multiple 500g cakes together so they go off in sequential order. When the last shot of the first cake goes off, the first shot on the second cake goes off...so on and so forth. I know where the first shot of each cake is (fuse), but I am not sure where the tube containing the last shot is (it appears as though it is diagonally across the cake in the opposite corner), but I simply want to make sure.

tennpyro1
07-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Usually that is correct different cakes have different stopping points depending what effect the cake has but you are correct it is diagonally across

PyroJoeNEPA
07-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Dave did a video on this where you pick up the fire from the last tube & use it to fire the next cake. Here is a link to the video.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/quick-match-for-slow-sequence-fireworks-part-1-of-2.php
You can use the grey fast fuse or yellow [not as fast as the grey] fast fuse in place of the quick match which you would not have access to.
Also, look at the videos under "projects" & 1.4 Consumer Fireworks. here is a wealth of knowledge there for you.
Also, Big's Pro Shells are nice as well as the others mentioned.

tgis81
07-22-2011, 07:11 PM
I Dave's video "Thunder Over Muse", before the actual show, you will see me firing a Smoke n Mirrors shell, followed by a Pro Shell. The SnM shells are nice, but the Pro Shells break much larger and louder.

PittPyro
07-22-2011, 07:24 PM
something else to think about.

You may want to consider each cake's effect and fuse some together and have them going off at the same time. Some cakes may not be as entertaining alone (slow fire rate or many of the same or similar effects) ,but fired together with others they look much better and are more entertaining to watch as a spectator. This may shorten your show, however, it may make it more memorable as well.

This is done easy by just quick fusing (with a cannon fuse trigger) two or more secured cakes together of different effects

Just something to think about for your spectators...watching the same effect over and over is less entertaining then a variety

tgis81
07-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I Dave's video "Thunder Over Muse", before the actual show, you will see me firing a Smoke n Mirrors shell, followed by a Pro Shell. The SnM shells are nice, but the Pro Shells break much larger and louder.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/thunder-over-muse.php
Check at 15:37 into the video

pyro man 205
07-22-2011, 09:13 PM
1.91" Mortar Tubes (most common size)
What mortars should i buy?
Well first off there are two sizes for consumer mortars DR-9 (1.81" ID) and a DR-11 (1.91" ID). The DR11 mortars are the most common size and can be used with all consumer shells. The DR9 is used for thin canister shells and festival balls.
The second question would be should i get a 12" or 15" mortar? To be 100% safe you should go with a 12" mortar. Some say that a 15" mortar will give you extra height out of your shells, but you will run into the problem that your fuse may be too short and will have to add a small piece of visco fuse to extend the fuse that is already attached to your shell.
There are also smaller 1.2" and 1.5" shells on the market. for shells go excalibers and exterminators are the same shells depends on where you live some will have exterminators some will have excalibers.black mamba are a good shell. de pends on price also.

indianahx
07-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the advise. I went to Pyrodirect and amd looking at the 30 shot rack - straight with 12" DR-11 mortars. What are your thoughts?

My thought is build your own rack. Tons of vendors out there selling mortars. Pick you up a bunch and start building your own racks to avoid reloading shells in a shoot.

As for shells, if you're looking for heavy hitting cans theres:
Excals
Lock and Loads
Sweet 16
Pro Shells
Black Mamba
Smoke and Mirrors / Silver Salute Show
Zeus Shells
K.O.D.
Exterminator
Sky Titan

Those aren't in any sequential or "best" order, just what I used this year. All are hard hitting can shells.

You also left out big details that would factor in on what you can get......like location, budget, and what vendors are nearby

Lastly, as stated, you can find endless videos about fusing cakes. Cut the top paper off and trace the fuse out to the last tube (easier to do in a 12 shot cake than a 200 shot)

Pyro Nation
07-23-2011, 02:24 PM
I would add in

Blue Steel and Burning Rings of Fire were nice

Frankiefireworks19
07-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Every year I shoot excaliburs. However this year they were very hard to load. They were getting stuck towards the half way point of the mortar. I read another post that was titled "mortar tubes shrinking?" and they talked about this. Does anyone know why the shells were getting so stuck and not being loaded smoothly. Also these were the mortars that came in the box. I want to get a couple of 50 shot racks but I don't want this problem. Jamming the shells in the mortar with a stick made me very nervous despite the fact that they all shot out perfectly fine!

Palermitano2
07-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I have never had one get stuck. I have a few hundred hdpe tubes i got cheap and built my own racks. i always shoot excals and smoke and mirrors.

indianahx
07-23-2011, 08:14 PM
I believe its just the different batches of them. Kind of like snowflakes. If I had to "jam" them in with a stick I would have never even attempted to light it IMO....however, I have never had any shell refuse to go down any of the Dr11 mortars.

Time and time again the message is clear = Build your own racks!!!!!

pyro man 205
07-23-2011, 08:24 PM
as for the mortar tubes that come with the kits to many possibility's could be a facter. for the tubes that you can get from one of the Supplyers on line i dont have any getting stuck , ive had mine for 6yrs now over 240 all work fine.

Frankiefireworks19
07-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Ok I understand. Now don't get me wrong I do want to build my own racks.....you know what this is getting way off tangent to "fusing cakes and mortars" I'll start my own thread about my next question