PDA

View Full Version : Multipin Disconnects for Slats

PyroJoeNEPA
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm in the process of building a hard wired firing system--right now it is looking like it will be 32 cues but might end up 40 untill I finish it. I'm using 13 conductor [6 twisted pairs + an unjacketed ground 20 gauge cable]. I was planning on using 16 pin AMP twist lock connectors & run to multiple slats with 10 cues [10 hots & 3 grounds] or 12 cues[12 hots & 1 ground] with speaker style push tab connectors.
I see the larger professional systems using db-25 & db-36 computer cables running to the slats. Any input on what you are using, or have had experience with [good or bad] would be appreciated.
The AMP style connectors are pretty durable-I was wondering how the db's hold up with outside weather & moisture issues?

Ron M
02-25-2011, 05:47 AM
I know that several systems use varying multiple contact connectors. I have used the 50 pin telco connectors (got the idea from Pyromate) and have had good success with them to this date. I have heard of problems but usually they are associated with the cables themselves instead of the connectors. Can't figure why someone would use a solid wire cable for something you are always moving around (rolling and set-up) However there are cables available with stranded conductors that hold up rather well. Check around as they are readily available.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-03-2011, 02:04 PM
The cable I am using is stranded. My logic was to run several smaller cables to smaller slats so I could cover more area that way. Using smaller feeder cables would be easier to haul around with less chance of damage to the cable. I am an audio engineer by trade and am well aware of the weight of a 200 foot 60 pair concert "snake" cable! I have decided to use the AMP disconnects. Will post a couple pics when it is all finished.