PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a local pyro club

Blackdevil77
07-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Google hasn't been very helpful with this, unless there is just no local clubs around me. I live in Nassau county, Long Island. What is the closest club I would be able to join? All the clubs I've found like the crackerjacks, PGI etc are either out of state, and one was in western New York, about 400 miles and 8 hours away from me. Any club locators on the internet?

Pyro Nation
07-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Those are about the ones I would of recommended ....

jknepp1954
07-11-2011, 05:18 AM
Pa Pyro Artists - A shoot each month, also you could help with some local shows as well
NLPC - shoots in the New ENgland, Pa, Md areas -
Yes - you MUST be willing to travel - there are no other clubs in NY except for the WNYPA - and they do have 3 members who live on LI.
PM if you need more info on any of these - the PA Pyro Artists actually have a club shoot in late Aug. - pm for details and location..., NLPC has a shoot in Mid Nov in MD - not sure of date yet...not sure if they have anything before that or not

indianahx
07-11-2011, 10:03 AM
If you notice most club members belong to clubs that are not exactly in their "backyard" as you seem to be looking for.....in fact a lot of people belong to numerous clubs. Travel is more than likely imminent....

Blackdevil77
07-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys. If I'm gonna have to travel regardless, I'd like to join crackerjacks or the PGI club assuming they aren't a un realistic distance from me. It would basically depend on how many meets there are and how often and when the meets are. Once a week to drive 400 miles one way is a bit much, especially since I work 7-3, monday through friday.

Blackdevil77
07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I just looked at the PGI website. There next meet in August is about 1500 miles away from me, 24 hour drive with no stops. I'm not really expecting something to be around the corner, just something more friendly for somebody that can't get away from home very often. I work 5 days a week. If these meetings aren't frequent, that makes it a lot easier, but a meeting once a week at that distance is impossible. Also, the locations of the meetings for the PGI change? I notice in 2013 they are gonna meet in PA, which is MUCH closer to me, only about 400 miles and a little over a 6 hour drive. I'd love to take their shooters course, but wouldn't be able to do so until 2013, when they do it in PA. A bit difficult when living in the most fireworks un-friendly state in the country

jknepp1954
07-11-2011, 07:58 PM
The PGI meets only once a year - if you look on their site - it is predetermined for the next 3 or 4 years of when/where they meet. and yes in 2013 - BUTLER , PA -YIPPEE!!! :D
BUT the good news is you don't have to wait till then to get your PGI certification. There are at least 3 different times per year in Pa it is offered - At Kellners early April, Emaus, Pa early May, and Black Lick, Pa. in mid Sept. This one in BLack Lick, Pa is offered up by the Pa Pyro Technics Club of which myself and several others on here belong to - a great club to join. Also at this shoot - the participants of the PGI course are then offered to participate in the club shoot - great bunch of guys/gals to associate with.

Blackdevil77
07-11-2011, 08:44 PM
The PGI meets only once a year - if you look on their site - it is predetermined for the next 3 or 4 years of when/where they meet. and yes in 2013 - BUTLER , PA -YIPPEE!!! :D
BUT the good news is you don't have to wait till then to get your PGI certification. There are at least 3 different times per year in Pa it is offered - At Kellners early April, Emaus, Pa early May, and Black Lick, Pa. in mid Sept. This one in BLack Lick, Pa is offered up by the Pa Pyro Technics Club of which myself and several others on here belong to - a great club to join. Also at this shoot - the participants of the PGI course are then offered to participate in the club shoot - great bunch of guys/gals to associate with.

Hmmm.... Mid-september you say??? Just mapquested Black Lick, Pa. According to mapquest, it's 355 miles from me and about a 6 hour and 20 minute drive. The class is only one day or two? I may be able to attend that one!!! I assume they give you some sort of certificate if you complete their course?

jknepp1954
07-11-2011, 09:10 PM
The exact date is Sept. 17 - that is a 1 day deal. you get a certificate of completion of the course when you pass the test, but then the real work of getting certified begins. I think you have to do at least 5 shows to help with, 1 of which you must be the lead shooter. All has to be signed and certified by the company/club you are shooting for.
I am not sure of all of the logistics of this, but by joining a club and helping with their shows, this would help with your qualifications. Since you live on LI - it may make sense to contact Grucci and see it you can apprentice under them and help out.
If i have any of this wrong - please correct me as it has been like 7 years since i went thru this myself - things may have changed.

Blackdevil77
07-11-2011, 09:26 PM
The exact date is Sept. 17 - that is a 1 day deal. you get a certificate of completion of the course when you pass the test, but then the real work of getting certified begins. I think you have to do at least 5 shows to help with, 1 of which you must be the lead shooter. All has to be signed and certified by the company/club you are shooting for.
I am not sure of all of the logistics of this, but by joining a club and helping with their shows, this would help with your qualifications. Since you live on LI - it may make sense to contact Grucci and see it you can apprentice under them and help out.
If i have any of this wrong - please correct me as it has been like 7 years since i went thru this myself - things may have changed.

That sounds about right, 5 shows, 1 in which you have to be the lead shooter and have to work with a company for 3 years. But if your shooting fireworks as a hobbyist for yourself, it is my understanding you don't need the 3 years. I was looking into Bay fireworks, I have a friend that worked for Grucci and he said he wished he worked for Bay Fireworks. Not that he didn't like Grucci, he said Bay fireworks is a bit more "easy going and more fun," according to him. You gotta start somewhere, right? lol. September 17th, I'm gonna let my boss at work know and if all is good, I'M THERE!

Blackdevil77
07-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Ok I'm good for september 17th. I couldn't find any info on that date on the PGI website.

mici59
07-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Did you find any work for a Professional Company this year? If so Im just curious how the pay was

Blackdevil77
07-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Did you find any work for a Professional Company this year? If so Im just curious how the pay was

Not this year, I called Bay fireworks and they told me to call back about 2 weeks after the fourth because they were extremely busy, and to get answers from Grucci is like pulling teeth. I'm curious about the pay to lol

mici59
07-12-2011, 08:10 PM
anybody else on here have any idea of how professional companies Pay employees?

matandch
07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
The Crackerjacks is another excellent regional club who have 3 major day long shoots in Va in the months of May, July and October which include Class C and B open shooting, seminars, building, competitions and a large class B display. There are many vendors from all along the east coast. They also have a few seminars, competitions and open shoots at other times of the year in Md and Pa. There's plenty to do and learn at a CJ shoot!

J's12talk
07-12-2011, 09:49 PM

I've made as little as $50 to as much as $400 net for working a show. If your thinking about shooting as your only income good luck. Also once it becomes a job much of the fun is gone, 20 shoots a year is about as much as I can take and have it still be just a fun hobby. To much of anything is not a good thing.

Pyro Nation
07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Im with J12 on this one.... there is a fine line between a job and a fun hobby... it is like 10 for me.... more if the wife would let me..lol

Blackdevil77
07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
I've made as little as $50 to as much as $400 net for working a show. If your thinking about shooting as your only income good luck. Also once it becomes a job much of the fun is gone, 20 shoots a year is about as much as I can take and have it still be just a fun hobby. To much of anything is not a good thing.

I agree completely. For me it's been only on the fourth, then I have to wait another year. Every year right after the fourth I get depressed that I have to wait another year, but doing it that rarely makes it so much more special, fun and something to really look forward to. But I'd definitely like to shoot more then once a year lol. Especially upgrade to 1.3g stuff.

Frankiefireworks19
07-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Dude I feel your pain! It seems like everything pyro based is in the Pennsylvania to Illinois region. I'm all the way in Florida so does anyone know of any clubs around here? I need to take a shooters course to look good for the ATF and although I'd be willing to meet blackdevil in pa it would be much more conveinent to travel to north Carolina as the farthest distance. Any advice?