PDA

View Full Version : cremora with SANDING DUST

barnbiketom
08-15-2016, 09:26 PM
5 gallon bucket w/ 3.5 oz 2f black powder and SANDING DUST from a local amish furniture shop....
https://goo.gl/photos/bxvFSd1Lb7eyWSNZ9

barnbiketom
08-15-2016, 09:36 PM
heat wave felt all the way up on top of the hill lol....and nothing but sanding dust!!!!!

displayfireworks1
08-16-2016, 06:42 AM
That looked great. Did you mix the black powder in with the dust or place the black powder only at the bottom of the mortar?

barnbiketom
08-16-2016, 12:41 PM
I drilled a 1/8" hole in the side, at bottom and ran ematch wires thru and out. I taped the ematch exposing the head, onto the center with packing tape. It was black powder in the bottom, spread all over and it was only a few grains thick. 3.5 oz.
Then I covered it with tissue paper (wrapping paper) after i cut it to the circle shape.
This was all done on site. no moving. We then poured the dust into the bucket about 3/4 full.
I used 4 of these for my party and this is all they talk about now!!!.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Nice shot! Can't call it a "Cremora"..need some new terminology---maybe a "Duster-Doo". LOL.

Pyro Paul
08-16-2016, 07:34 PM
I like it, how fine of sawdust was it? I've got a bunch under my table saw from all the work this summer and that might be the way to dispose of it! :cool:

@PyroJoe If he don't use Duster-Doo I sure will LOL

displayfireworks1
08-16-2016, 09:11 PM
I am not an expert on these but my experience has been to use a metal dog food bowl to hold the black powder and direct the charge upward. I seen to many of these plastic buckets blow apart.

Westpapyro
08-16-2016, 09:41 PM
I like flaming balls of wood!

PyroJoeNEPA
08-16-2016, 09:51 PM
I am not an expert on these but my experience has been to use a metal dog food bowl to hold the black powder and direct the charge upward. I seen to many of these plastic buckets blow apart.
The two main reasons the buckets blow apart are: 1. Too much Black Powder in the bottom. 2. Bucket is not HDPE.
I have buckets that have been used quite a few times and are still in perfect condition. Haven't ever used the "dog food bowl" and never had an issue lifting the cremora out of them.
Next time we are in the same place we can shoot a couple...you bring the graham crackers, chocolate & marshmallows & I will supply the fireball! LOL. Smores Galore!
The method Tom described is "spot on". You can also use coffee cans or the larger pizza sauce cans--four of these in a ring makes an impressive fireball with a wider pillar on the bottom & wider "cap" on the top.

displayfireworks1
08-17-2016, 09:52 AM
I know the orange Home Depot "Homer" buckets are #2 HDPE. If you buy one double check by looking at the bottom outside part of the bucket. You will see a triangle with #2 in it saying HDPE.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-17-2016, 10:51 AM
I drilled a 1/8" hole in the side, at bottom and ran ematch wires thru and out. I taped the ematch exposing the head, onto the center with packing tape. It was black powder in the bottom, spread all over and it was only a few grains thick. 3.5 oz.
Then I covered it with tissue paper (wrapping paper) after i cut it to the circle shape.
This was all done on site. no moving. We then poured the dust into the bucket about 3/4 full.
I used 4 of these for my party and this is all they talk about now!!!.

You only used 3.5oz of black powder in a 5 gallon bucket to do that?! Holy mackerel! That was quite impressive. I've seen videos (including Dave's) where the people use twice that much black powder. I guess the difference there is those folks were using gasoline and water instead of sawdust.

So if I was to use a coffee can or large vegetable can, a reasonable amount of powder would be probably be half an oz. based on what I just saw! That's awesome. My neighbor builds custom cabinetry in his garage. I think I just found my sawdust supplier!

I love it when a plan comes together. :cool:

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-20-2016, 10:10 AM
So I've finally acquired a 5 gallon bucket full of very finely powdered sawdust. Now I'm trying to decide what to use to make the pot. I don't want to use the entire 5 gallons. Way too big. So I'm thinking of using a large vegetable can or the plastic coffee container pictured below. (What goes better in a cremora than coffee, right?)

Mush to my surprise, the coffee container is stamped "HDPE" on the bottom! Seems a little thin to me, but I wanted to get some input from you folks.

My thought is to bury it 2/3'rds of the way into the ground and fill it maybe half way with sawdust. I'd run a talon ignitor with maybe a 4" piece of quickfuse at the end to set it off.

Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?

PyroJoeNEPA
09-20-2016, 11:08 AM
So I've finally acquired a 5 gallon bucket full of very finely powdered sawdust. Now I'm trying to decide what to use to make the pot. I don't want to use the entire 5 gallons. Way too big. So I'm thinking of using a large vegetable can or the plastic coffee container pictured below. (What goes better in a cremora than coffee, right?)

Mush to my surprise, the coffee container is stamped "HDPE" on the bottom! Seems a little thin to me, but I wanted to get some input from you folks.

My thought is to bury it 2/3'rds of the way into the ground and fill it maybe half way with sawdust. I'd run a talon ignitor with maybe a 4" piece of quickfuse at the end to set it off.

Good idea? Bad idea? Thoughts?

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1478&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1479&stc=1

t
You can use a metal coffee can or a larger #10 can like bulk vegetables come in--I get mine from the local pizza shop--they get sauce in them & usually will give you all you want. They are also great to store nails, nuts & bolts, etc in he shop.
Not necessary to bury it--wood stake & some duct tape is all you need.
I did a club shoot this weekend where I shot 8 small ones in 3" HDPE mine tubes & a 5 gal bucket after them. Will try & link the video later today.
I wouldn't use the creamer cans--I think they would be too thin to take the pressure.
Whatever you use--just put enough 2FA black powder to cover the bottom--it doesn't need to be thick to lift it. you can pour the powder in to see how much it takes & then dump it out & weigh [or measure] it for future reference.