PDA

View Full Version : $3.50 Pyro pokes!! Opinions?

Butterman900
08-09-2016, 11:45 PM
So I have recently dove into the ematch/initiator world ( been e firing for couple years but had been sticking to talons due to all the bad press of early FireWires ) and discovered I needed a set of pyro pokes. A quick Google search quickly informed me that I could spend $40-75 dollars for a set of three. This seemed like money better spent on pyro product from brite lites not on 3 little little tools that didn't even get my heart rate up to compare to a sparkler. So a trip to the local hardware store and $3.50 later this is what i came up with. Have a 1/4" and 1/8" finished and the stuff to finish a 3/32" but what so impressed with my self that I wanted to see what you guys thought. 1322 Start with this
1323 Do this
1324 Apply this
1325 And you get this
1326 Another look at set

Now yes I could have taken all the threads off and I am currently awaiting a shipment of FireWires but I did test poke a couple of cakes and found that the threads actually provided a reamer like action giving a nice clean hole for the shroud and all of the match to go into larger tubes. What do you guys think? Materials I used were chainsaw file handles ( which I like way better than the ball handles) and solid brass screws. The big 1/4 was a machine screw or bolt and the two smaller ones were course thread wood screws. Please share with me good or bad as I am still learning. Thanks.

Playingwithfire85
08-10-2016, 01:03 AM
That appears like it would work just fine but it looks questionable only because in the pictures it looks to me like they are only plated and the inside is "silvery". I just went to Menards and bought 3ft of 3/16" brass round rod for $6 and got a pack of 8 round wood knobs for just over $5 and was able to make 8 pokes for about $11 total.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/household-hardware/stock-metal/brass-round-rod-3-16-x-3-ft/p-1444432402964-c-9215.htm?tid=-5218203915746311968

http://www.joann.com/wood-turning-shapes-value-pack-ball-knobs-1.5in-8%2Fpkg/2522985.html

Butterman900
08-10-2016, 07:04 AM
I did notice it looks silver in the pic but in real life it is very brass color and I made sure the screws were solid brass, not plated. I looked every where for brass rod or even brass brazing rods but couldn't find them unless I bought 5 lbs packs which was like 30 bucks for each size. I am in the country, Maynard's is about two hours drive same for a lowes, etc. But the upside is Nite Lites is one 15 miles!!

Westpapyro
08-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Test it for being solid brass, a few bucks saved could be very dangerous!
Try this to be sure?
If the magnet sticks, the item is usually steel or cast iron, with a brass plating. If the magnet does not stick, you can test further by scratching a hidden area with a sharp tool. If you see a shiny yellow scratch, the item is likely solid brass. If you see a silvery scratch, your piece is likely white metal (zinc).
Chuck

wildcherryxoxo
11-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Cool Idea! I think I know what ill be working on this winter! :)

PyroJoeNEPA
11-11-2016, 12:56 AM
I did notice it looks silver in the pic but in real life it is very brass color and I made sure the screws were solid brass, not plated. I looked every where for brass rod or even brass brazing rods but couldn't find them unless I bought 5 lbs packs which was like 30 bucks for each size. I am in the country, Maynard's is about two hours drive same for a lowes, etc. But the upside is Nite Lites is one 15 miles!!
Look in the plumbing supply section for the brass toilet bowl float arm--it will work fine.

PYRODAN
12-31-2016, 11:42 PM
Butterman, if your out in the boonies there is probably a Tractor Supply near you. They sell small packages of brazing rods. At least the one by me does. I believe Lowes and Home Depot sell brass rod also.

Captaindlapnuts
03-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Looks to me like the OPs poke is fine. If he says it's brass colored on the inside, and stated that he went out of his way to make sure it was solid brass and not plated, I'd tend to believe him. A tool made and money saved is always a WIN in my book!