PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Salute Information

Blackdevil77
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I have been searching the Internet for basic information about titanium salutes and can't find anything except youtube videos OF titanium salutes, and vendors that sell them. How much flash powder is in a typical 3" titanium salute? 4"? 5"? How much in cylinder shell 3, 4 and 5 inch salutes? Whats the typical ratio of titanium to flash powder in a titanium salute? What is the particle size of the titanium? What differences in effect would small particles of titanium have over large particles? Obviously smaller particles will burn faster, but would smaller particles give a very quick and very bright flash?

And finally, which manufacturer makes the "best" (loudest) titanium salutes? I know, this can be a question of personal preference, but would just like to hear what everybody thinks

californiapyro
07-08-2011, 03:34 PM
well download the LBS product list and most of your questions are answered. typically 10 parts flash to 1 part ti, and yes smaller particles make a brighter, denser cloud of sparks.

Blackdevil77
07-08-2011, 04:35 PM
well download the LBS product list and most of your questions are answered. typically 10 parts flash to 1 part ti, and yes smaller particles make a brighter, denser cloud of sparks.

Where can I find this? Sorry if it's obvious, I'm new lol

Ralph
07-09-2011, 06:49 AM
if your new you shouldn't be playing with flash flash is very sensative and dangerous you need good manufacturing techniques if a 3" colour shell you have made malfunctions generally death is not on the cards add flash and its certainly a possibility. Most how to pyro guides recomend staying away from flash for 1-2 years or more from when you begin manufacturing pyrotechnics

Also Ti should never be directly mixed in with the flash commercially and many of you over in the states tend to spray spray adhesive onto the hemis/tube than sprinkle the Ti onto that a method I personally prefer (mostly because it dosnt use expensive spray adhesive and also allows me to add much more Ti (which yes makes it more expensive but also nicer)) is to add the Ti to the top/bottom of the salute before/after the flash is added than normal handling with sufficiently disperse the titanium. NEVER mix the titanium directly with the flash especially if it has a particle size 20 mesh or finer (large stuff wont significantly sensitise it)

Blackdevil77
07-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't intend on making them. I've heard way to much scary stuff about making flash powder and how nasty it can be. I'm just curious about the already manufactured stuff. I saw on one website that a typical 3" titanium salute contains about 4 ounces of flash. Is that true?

Chris H
07-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Sounds about right. A lot of quantity depends on method of manufacture. A 3" salute can contain between probably 60g and a pound depending on how things are done.

californiapyro
07-09-2011, 05:46 PM
type in little big shots in google, and it should be the first one. then click on products. it will tell you how much flash is in each of their cylinder salutes.

Blackdevil77
07-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Sounds about right. A lot of quantity depends on method of manufacture. A 3" salute can contain between probably 60g and a pound depending on how things are done.

Wow, isn't there a huge difference between 60g and a pound??? A pound is 454g isn't it?

Anybody happen to know how much is in a 3" Lidu Blue Ti thunder salute? That what was used this 4th and they seemed awesome. Very consistant as well

Blackdevil77
07-09-2011, 09:24 PM
type in little big shots in google, and it should be the first one. then click on products. it will tell you how much flash is in each of their cylinder salutes.

Just checked out the website. Didn't specify a 3 inch but said his 4 inch has about 3/4 of a pound of flash, and his 5 inch has over a pound. I like what he said about his 5 inch "ultra" salute LMAO!

Matt
07-10-2011, 12:39 AM
The 5" ultras are no joke. A 3" Chinese does not compare to a 3" LBS salute.

Blackdevil77
07-10-2011, 02:03 AM
The 5" ultras are no joke. A 3" Chinese does not compare to a 3" LBS salute.

That 5" ultra looks like a monster. Any video's of that? I can't even imagine what a finale would be like with a couple of hundred of those ripping off.

Matt
07-10-2011, 10:33 AM
That 5" ultra looks like a monster. Any video's of that? I can't even imagine what a finale would be like with a couple of hundred of those ripping off.

Here are some of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbjbwzGIsaA&feature=player_detailpage#t=522s

Here is a closer look at them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ssD2yGH7vU&feature=player_profilepage#t=739s

The only time you might see a couple hundred of them will be at PGI 2013.

Blackdevil77
07-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Wow, I saw that video with the blue aluminum. Very cool stuff. That 5 inch ultra looks like it would be awsome with 10 strung together at the end of a finale after launching all the regular salutes.

It's awesome to see that you can order the Military war hammer 12 inch shell also! Very cool stuff!

I'm guessing the 3 inch LBS salute would blow away a lidu blue thunder shell. And I was impressed with the lidu shells lol. Can't wait to try these out! Thanks for the info!

whitepyro
07-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Your not going to make them yet your asking about ratios, Ti manufacturer's and particle size. seriously dont make them if you dont know what your doing. Stay safe

Blackdevil77
07-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Your not going to make them yet your asking about ratios, Ti manufacturer's and particle size. seriously dont make them if you dont know what your doing. Stay safe

I won't be making them, nooo sir. Just learning about already manufactured products

californiapyro
07-11-2011, 11:16 AM
IMO salutes are the stupidest fireworks you can make. they're excessively dangerous, have little to no visual element to them, and people can hear you from miles away. not very good for the inconspicuous pyro.

Blackdevil77
07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
IMO salutes are the stupidest fireworks you can make. they're excessively dangerous, have little to no visual element to them, and people can hear you from miles away. not very good for the inconspicuous pyro.

I know quite a few people like don't like them. Me personally, love them. Not because they are dangerous, thats their downfall for me, but because of what they add to a show. That awesome loud thump in the chest, boom. But of course, they have to be used sparingly (until the finale, of course) throughout the course of a show, most people care about the visuals of a firework show more then the noise, and a lot of the bigger shells pack plenty of punch. Adding them to a show will satisfy the people like like the noise, and the other shells will satisfy everybody else. The beauty of it, the inconspicuous pyro doesn't need to use them if he/she doesn't want to.

Blackdevil77
07-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Just noticed from the vids and from the catalog on Little Big Shots site. Their salutes don't have titanium in them? Could he add titanium if its requested?

Matt
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Just noticed from the vids and from the catalog on Little Big Shots site. Their salutes don't have titanium in them? Could he add titanium if its requested?

You can get it added.

californiapyro
07-11-2011, 07:15 PM
You can get it added.

i think it costs extra though...

californiapyro
07-11-2011, 07:16 PM
and yeah, that thump is awesome. If you can use them pre-made for a show they're great, just not what a lot of people that manufacture can do.

Blackdevil77
07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I would imagine it would. Not sure why it wouldn't be on the catalog. Wouldn't most people want titanium with their salutes? Adds a bit more to the effect

californiapyro
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
some "salute purists" just want fp in their salutes, nothing else

Ralph
07-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I would imagine it would. Not sure why it wouldn't be on the catalog. Wouldn't most people want titanium with their salutes? Adds a bit more to the effect

Without titanium you notice the bright builshwhite flash and ball that appear with the titanium you dont notice it I dont add it about 50% of the time.

chev385
08-09-2011, 10:23 PM
ive yet to hear a 5" ultra, but the 4" monsters will down right scare the poop out of ya! and the state trooper sittin across the street. lmao

chev385
08-09-2011, 10:29 PM
im not sure who makes them, but a 5" FIGHTING DRUM (ball shell) is the nastiest boom i ever herd, the splash produced by one has to by 30' in dia.

Blackdevil77
08-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I haven't heard any of these tremendous salutes. The biggest I've heard was probably a Grucci show I went to the week end before fourth of July but nobody could get anywhere near them so they were very far away. I've only been up close to 3" cheap chinese titanium salutes and I thought some of those were loud! Hopefully there will be some at the PGI meet in Black Lick on the 17th after the training course :D

deeks
03-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Be stupid careful, and be ready for the cops to come visit u if you make any, I repeat any salutes. I lit one off last weekend that was right at two ounces and my neighbor that lives a mile away immediately called me and asked me if I was still alive. I will always be petrified of them. Just my two cents.