PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my perchlorate

jbags091992
08-03-2016, 04:03 PM
So I made a batch of fp maybe a month ago and everything went very well. I still had some al left over but no perchlorate, so I bought some more from the same place, skylighter. So I received it and made another batch the same exact way and it will not ignite, even tried twould different fuses but nothing. I'm guessin maybe they sent me the wrong stuff on accident. It smells a tad different and is a lot more clumpy than before. Anybody ever heard of this? I mean it has to be the perchlorate because everything else is the same. Like I mentioned earlier I even bought the perchlorare from the same supplier as before but I have nothing but duds.

carrant
08-03-2016, 04:57 PM
You can use methylene blue to test for perchlorate in solution.
If a perchlorate is present an insoluble purple precipitate will form.

jbags091992
08-03-2016, 05:10 PM
OK so I went out and cut open the casing and poured the flash onto the Concrete and hit it with a torch and all that would happen is little sparkles almost as if it wants to ignite but nothing, but as I let the flame sit on the fp for a little while it's starts turning gooey almost liquidy like, I'm thinking that maybe because of the humidity outside that it then absorbed the moisture and that's why it became pretty clumpy over night and all day. But I'm not sure how moisture would enter when the bag was closed, we'll not closed but like how you do a loaf of bread. Any ideas guys?

jbags091992
08-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Like when I sat the flame on it for awhile it was almost like I was forcing the water out. Idk I'm not sure. Now I'm wondering IF it is because of the humidity if the whole pound of perch is garbage

carrant
08-03-2016, 06:06 PM
If you are using potassium perchlorate then it's not the humidity because it is not hygroscopic.

You can do a burn test

https://youtu.be/12bieT9HpA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12bieT9HpA8&feature=youtu.be

jbags091992
08-03-2016, 06:38 PM
OK so I did the same thing in the video and burned hot and bright and fast, just like in the video if not more. I'm stumped

jbags091992
08-03-2016, 06:48 PM
I then tried it with the aluminum again and same thing very weak and just a little sparkle. Maybe it's the aluminum that went bad somehow? It's the stuff I had left over and it worked great last time.

displayfireworks1
08-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Good potassium perchlorate is chunky. You using the wrong aluminum or you using the wrong parts per weight. You say perchlorate but you do not say which one? Potassium or something else?

jbags091992
08-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Good potassium perchlorate is chunky. You using the wrong aluminum or you using the wrong parts per weight. You say perchlorate but you do not say which one? Potassium or something else?

Ok, we'll I did the burn test dave, the one that the one member recommend me do and it worked fine if not better than the guys video, so I'm guessing it is the aluminum I'm using but like I said earlier it's the same stuff I used a month ago. It's left over from what I didn't use. 70/30 comp. Aluminum and potassium perch. Like I said, im doing it the same exact way I did a month ago and it's not igniting. When I did it a month ago I had fantastic results. I'm just confused, I went through every step to make sure I didn't mess up and made another small batch to no eval. I'm assuming my aluminum must have went bad or something. Moisture? Not being sealed? It's the ekhart dark aluminum.

jbags091992
08-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Anybody?any ideas?

carrant
08-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Maybe try milling your KClO4 a bit longer so you get a smaller mesh size?

How are you mixing it? With the diaper method? http://pyrodata.com/definitions/Diaper-method

Side note - I'm sure you already know this, but make sure to mix SMALL batches and PPE is a must!

jbags091992
08-06-2016, 05:10 PM
You guys won't believe what I did. I had gotten the already made fp and dark aluminum mixed up. So I was take the already made fp and adding more perch as if it was straight aluminum. ����������������

displayfireworks1
08-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Maybe you should just buy some firecrackers. Making that stuff is pretty easy, if you are having difficulty at this level, the next event is going to be an accident. You live in Ohio , why not just get the ATF license and buy some good commercial 1.3 salutes. I'm confused trying to follow what you are doing.

jbags091992
08-06-2016, 08:36 PM
I just got two batches mixed up because they looked alike. That's all. Why are you trying to belittle me dave?

Westpapyro
08-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Just trying to keep you alive. Mixing that stuff is no joke and you just can't say oh I mixed something up no biggie. It matters dude, your next tiny mix up could kill you.

displayfireworks1
08-06-2016, 08:50 PM
I am not trying to belittle you. A 70/30 Flash composition is pretty basic. You have to try hard to mess it up. What are trying to make a ground salute? You post lack details. You need to either take you time and make you post stand on its own and type a whole bunch of details or get you phone and make a video a video and post it. Go back to post #12 above and pretend you are a person reading that. Does that post have any meaning? If you have some knowledge of making this stuff that is fine. We are not going to walk you into danger step by step and play a guessing game why you compositions are not working. Please go back and read post #12.

displayfireworks1
08-06-2016, 09:39 PM
On a side note I never knew that Pyro Data site existed. I like it

carrant
08-07-2016, 12:41 AM
On a side note I never knew that Pyro Data site existed. I like it

I really like that site also - I've spent way too much time browsing it :D

z33k
09-25-2016, 12:14 PM

I put everything in plastic tubs and put a label on it before I do anything. Any compositions go in a tub with a label as well. Air tight tubs like the Tupperware knock offs they have at the dollar store(s) are great. Used margarine containers work just as well. Even a zip lock bag. The most important part is the label defining what it in the container.

That way, 6 months later, there is no guess as to what concoction that grey powder is.

yoshisbar
10-04-2016, 06:45 PM
6 months later? If your mixing flash and storing it 6 months you have no business mixing it, stars maybe. Make sure your life insurance is up to date, because you may need it playing that way..

z33k
10-05-2016, 11:54 AM

6 months later? If your mixing flash and storing it 6 months you have no business mixing it, stars maybe. Make sure your life insurance is up to date, because you may need it playing that way..

Did you read this entire thread? I was pointing out the importance of labeling chemicals/compositions. If "jbags091992" would have labeled his original batch of flash powder, he would not have had this problem.

"jbags091992" could not tell the difference between FP and Dark AL because the containers were not properly identified.

countryboy7978
10-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Flash powder should only be stored in completed and sealed devices. Loose flash is a major risk for accidental ignition.