PDA

View Full Version : What to use as casing?

evoconian
06-06-2016, 09:15 PM
I believe this is the proper thread to post in. I am planning on making some 'Sparkler Bombs' and heard a while back that using an empty 12g Co2 canister as a case for the powder worked well. When I Googled on this now, I find people simply wrapping full cartridges with aluminum foil and the powder. Any insight as to which is 'preferable' is greatly appreciated.

ras1986
06-06-2016, 11:12 PM
No no no no no. Sparkler bombs are bad and illegal and dangerous. What you want to make is a "fountain". You have to build it and set it off within 24 hours to be legal.... ish.... take all the sparklers you want to use and simply wrap them inclusively in black electronic tape. Even the handle of them. The tape needs to be tight and at least a quarter inch thick everywhere. Forget the aluminum foil, use strapping t ape. That clear tape with strings in it. Wrap the shit out of it with strapping tape. THEN ONLY THEN,put one extra Sparkler in the top as the fuse. I make these fountains every year. What a great bang, shake my neighbors windows and I live on 5 acres. Oh yes. Did I mention this shit is dangerous and super illegal... ish..you can and probably will kill yourself making these. Just watch youtube to see videos of Sparkler bombs gone wrong. Forget casings of any hard material. It's just shrapnel. I don't know about you but I don't want a piece of steel stuck in my head or ass. Do like most people do and go find someone selling bootleg homemade m-80's and quarter sticks and have some real fun. Actually.... since you even posted this question I'd say you are around 15 years old... Cmon man... wait till your at least a 18 to blow your hand off or kill yourself.... it's not worth it.

displayfireworks1
06-07-2016, 06:07 PM
I moved this thread from firecrackers to fireworks manufacturing. I never made a Sparkler Bomb, my guess is sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't. It is basically and improvised explosive. AT least illegally made m-80's , quarter sticks etc are using a composition normally used in the legal process to make a salute. Sparklers bombs are using a product designed for one purposed and improvising it for another.
I'm curious, you can't find a Mom and Pop fireworks store in Tennessee selling good firecrackers?

ras1986
06-07-2016, 06:56 PM
I moved this thread from firecrackers to fireworks manufacturing. I never made a Sparkler Bomb, my guess is sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't. It is basically and improvised explosive. AT least illegally made m-80's , quarter sticks etc are using a composition normally used in the legal process to make a salute. Sparklers bombs are using a product designed for one purposed and improvising it for another.
I'm curious, you can't find a Mom and Pop fireworks store in Tennessee selling good firecrackers?

Dave, a good sparkler bomb will decimate all crackers.... if they are big enough.... lol we made one out of wedding sparklers, the 36 inch ones, about 10 inches in diameter.... haha it was definitely a treat.

evoconian
06-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Huh. Well, I suppose I will take your advice, then. Don't really want to lose any appendages yet. (I tend to use them fairly often.) The fountain idea seems like almost the same thing, only slightly safer. I might try that this year. Thanks!

evoconian
06-07-2016, 08:27 PM
That was my planning, originally. That and any 'Mom and Pop fireworks store' is much too far away to merit driving for a few bangs.

displayfireworks1
06-07-2016, 09:31 PM
I had some cheap wooden stick Sparklers one time and got tired of lighting them, I put about 10 together in the ground close together. Thank goodness I was not holding them. As soon as one started burning they went into a big fireball. I think sparklers are more dangerous than most novice users realize.

ras1986
06-07-2016, 09:53 PM
I had some cheap wooden stick Sparklers one time and got tired of lighting them, I put about 10 together in the ground close together. Thank goodness I was not holding them. As soon as one started burning they went into a big fireball. I think sparklers are more dangerous than most novice users realize.

Yes they are. If you contain them it's even worse. I wanna mare a video of one but don't wanna self incriminate

Pyropug
06-07-2016, 09:59 PM
You have a metal like titanium or magnesium with an oxidizer mixed with a binding agent, of course these can be violently explosive when confined.

ras1986
06-07-2016, 10:10 PM
You have a metal like titanium or magnesium with an oxidizer mixed with a binding agent, of course these can be violently explosive when confined.

Hell yea. Awesome. Almost as good as flash

Pyropug
06-07-2016, 10:14 PM
My main concern is the metal sticks acting as shrapnel. I heard a story that someone pretty much blew thier knee to hell from the metal sticks. Obvious to close but still.