PDA

View Full Version : Message on Safety

Ralph
02-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Im not going to write a tutorial on making salutes (I personally don't want the missing digits of youngsters on my head) but I will write a what not to do.

1. Never use youtube as a source of information 90% of it is incorrect 95% is done by people doing things for the first time (first time someone makes a shell they feal the need to do a tutorial on it spreading miss information)

2. Permangenate (KMnO4/Potassium permangenate/condy's crystals) is not a pyrotechnic chemical and should never be combined with a fuel spontaneousness combustion may occur, there are hundreds of videos and dodgy websites recommending its use it will cost you a finger eventually it is not safe to use

3. Chlorates (of any kind) should be avoided were possible they are much more sensitive than perchlorate and become completely unstable with even a trace of sulfur such compositions must not be used

4. PVC/Steal/Brass are not acceptable containers paper/cardboard is the only material that is suitable

5. If a nitrate composition is employed boric acid should be added to prevent spontaneousness warming due to the nitrate aluminium (also occurs with other metals like MgAl and Magnesium) reaction NOTE : boric acid dose not prevent reactions with Mg or MgAl but causes a more vigorous reaction

6. Flash is not a toy if you haven't been making pyrotechnics for over a year you shouldn't even be considering making it , it is sensitive to shock, friction and even the static discharge created by your clothing or shoes

8. sensitizers such as sulfur (accept in the case of nitrate flash) and titanium should never be mixed into flashpowder instead if you wish to have a titanium salute the titanium should be added to the container before/after/during the flash is added

7. Its manufacture and use with out license is almost illegal the world over (even in the US were it is a felony) a loud bang attracts attention and could easily get you imprisoned use it wisely

Ralph

firecrackersam
02-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for posting this Ralph. IMHO, it should be made a sticky. A lot of guys on here are carelessly making flash and other things without much knowledge of chemistry. This is very good advice.

uraniumsalute
02-28-2011, 03:35 AM
We should link to the places that DO teach it properly. Some people could care less about the law, so we might as well have them do what they want in the best way possible, so it doesn't damage our hobby. I am looking at the big picture here.

SITHADMIRAL
02-28-2011, 09:56 PM
I have to agree with uraniumsalute, people are going to make and experiment with pyro no matter what. I think it's better to teach safety and proper techniques. The more you tell people to not do something, there gonna want to do it more. Either way it is a touchy subject.

Pyro Nation
03-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Thread needs to get more recognition **** BUMP ****

Ralph
03-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Uraniumsalute I understand that most noobs will not head peoples warnings and go ahead and make flash and may or may not suffer the consequences anyone that dose put a tutorial up though is taking the safety of these noobs into their hands by teaching it, I personally don't want blood on my hands

Snakebite
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Well at least they'll know the dangers and especially what NOT to do. Over here a lot of people just take flash from match crackers and put it together in a metal tube, add a fuse and then close the thing by hitting the end with a hammer or something. This results in a lot of accidents each year, a lot of those people end up losing hands etc.. So even if you can save just 1 hand by posting that information, I think you should.

But that's just my opinion, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything here. :)

75+15+10=:)
06-20-2011, 02:13 AM
PVC/Steal/Brass are not acceptable containers paper/cardboard is the only material that is suitable

this also applies to the end caps, although the usual pyro cap is bentonite, use paper in salutes

If a nitrate composition is employed boric acid should be added to prevent spontaneousness warming due to the nitrate aluminium (also occurs with other metals like MgAl and Magnesium) reaction NOTE : boric acid dose not prevent reactions with Mg or MgAl but causes a more vigorous reaction
this being said, if you do use flash, try and stick to 70/30 kp/al and keep in mind before starting that you can achieve similar reslts with black powder

californiapyro
06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
this also applies to the end caps, although the usual pyro cap is bentonite, use paper in salutes

this being said, if you do use flash, try and stick to 70/30 kp/al and keep in mind before starting that you can achieve similar reslts with black powder

actually, that is most definitely not the case-Bp is nowhere close to the power of flash.

Ralph
06-21-2011, 09:29 PM
actually, that is most definitely not the case-Bp is nowhere close to the power of flash.

75 15 10 is right bp is not as loud or powerfull but makes respectable salutes. Being in Australia I have to make my own everything no walking down to the local fireworks stand and buying a roll of salutes for me, so I make my own in my salute chains I like to do the first lot with black powder than later on the string I move to flash the 1/4" diameter black powder salutes are certainly respectable and very loud and that is as small as I can see an amature wanting to manufature so yes you can acheve simlar results with black powder.

try it with some good black powder and you will see

californiapyro
06-21-2011, 09:38 PM
75 15 10 is right bp is not as loud or powerfull but makes respectable salutes. Being in Australia I have to make my own everything no walking down to the local fireworks stand and buying a roll of salutes for me, so I make my own in my salute chains I like to do the first lot with black powder than later on the string I move to flash the 1/4" diameter black powder salutes are certainly respectable and very loud and that is as small as I can see an amature wanting to manufature so yes you can acheve simlar results with black powder.

try it with some good black powder and you will see

okay, look at this and tell me that bp isn't far inferior to flash:
http://www.youtube.com/user/skylighterVideos?blend=21&ob=5#p/u/12/uVIKT67VX64

Ralph
06-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Why are you so obtuse with everything

BP is inferrior there is no arguing that, but a good report can be made with black powder as the video you linked to demonstrated Im not saying 3g of bp will sound like an M-80 but what I am saying is that anyone who choose not to make flash do to inexperience of just the personal preference of not wishing to deal with such a sensitive composition is still perfectly able to make salutes and thats what 75 15 10 was trying to say too. no one is arguing that bp is comprable to flash but good satisfying salutes can be made with bp flash is not required to make an audience pleasing report

californiapyro
06-22-2011, 12:17 AM
im done with this. we're not arguing on the forum, we're just having a discussion like good friendly pyros do. then you butt in, insult people, and tell us that your opinion is absolute correct. why are you such a jerk? this hobby is supposed to be about learning, sharing, brotherhood etc. there's absolutely no need to be vicious. and maybe im alone in this, maybe im the only one that's tired of you doing this. in that case, i apologize. However, I don't think that's the case. can some third party add some perspective to this? and dave seems to take your side with all of this, for unknown reasons, even when you ranted at knox pyro for an entire page. Not insulting dave, or the forum, or anything like that, i just dont get it.

Pyro@Mach13
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I sense some sort of attitude of superiority but what do I know..... just peace on rye to all baby! Yes this is a bruderhood!

floridapyro
07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Well I only have one good hand left so i'm not screwing around. And no I didn't blow it up, it was a work accident.

Griffin Milley
08-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I suggest the first post be made an announcement (It will be spread out in every section, at the very top... Above the threads) It would defiantly get viewed more then!

Griffin Milley
08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
(forum wouldn't let me edit my post....)

-Also-

I just want to point out, I'm ignoring the other posts because I don't want to be involved, and I agree with what the others said, we should just use this place to learn, and chat! not fight....