PDA

View Full Version : what systems do you use and why? I'm in the market for one with a few modules

Mucko
05-31-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm looking for something thats more on the professional level to be honest...but I saw some info on Cobra and Firetek etc through the forum and other sites. Was wondering what you guys use, why and what the availability of e-match is for the individual systems. This year I'll only be shooting 1.4g as I am waiting on ATF for t54 processing.

Bazerk
05-31-2016, 09:48 PM
I think you will find more users of Cobra right now than Firetek. Both are great systems, but Cobra having been on the market for a few years has many how to videos and has been refined with hardware and software upgrades. I personally on the Cobra 18R2 and 5 18M's and I love them. Its tied and true many times over. I think you will absolutely love either system to be honest. You should be able to use any ignoters with either system as well. You can get non 1.3 igniters all day long on ebay and through some of Dave's sponsors. Then you can use a firing system before and after you get you 54 license.

displayfireworks1
05-31-2016, 09:50 PM
You have three choices
1. Cobra
2. FireTEK.
3. China Import Ebay Systems.
I have been talking about and using the Cobra for 4 to 5 years.What is left to ask about it? The FireTEK is the new comer into this upscale backyard area. I am waiting to hear from some of the new users of the system

ilovecrackle
05-31-2016, 09:51 PM
I have a cobra but have never used it. There is another system I use quite regularly but since its not a sponsor here, I won't mention it out in the open. It fires Talons and e-match quite nicely. :D
PM if curious what I use.

Mucko
05-31-2016, 11:35 PM
I just want to be sure that whatever the first system I purchase...it's the same as one that would be used by professionals doing town/city displays. I don't really care about the cost. I've learned since I was younger...go big or go home. Get the best initially...or a step below for that matter. Just curious and hoping to learn about what I should be looking for. When it comes to e-systems...I really don't have the slightest clue aside from understanding how they work.

Mucko
05-31-2016, 11:36 PM
Also,

I bought Dave's ATF dvds to help me along with my licensing...so again, I plan to have a t54 by the fall hopefully...and come next year...I plan to shoot off a mix of 1.3 and 1.4 to better my show.

PGH_Pyro
05-31-2016, 11:46 PM
what if i told you, you DONT have to buy a firing system ... ?

Mucko
06-01-2016, 12:27 AM
oh I know I dont have to. Just debating doing it now for when I get larger shells next year. I could always do the nail in board trick :)

Dmkaz
06-01-2016, 01:04 AM
Mucko - I was in the same boat you were in as far as looking for a system ~7mo ago. In the end I went with a FireTek and what sold me most is the flexibility of the system and not having 18 cues in one single spot. The only downside currently is that you need to provide your own battery, which isn't a big deal. I discuss my setup in one of Dave's recent videos posted here.

Not to diminish the value of the Cobra - it's still a great refined system and built well. It just wasn't quite what I was looking for. FireTek is the 'new' guy on the bock, so to speak. I've dealt directly with one of the owner's (Laurian) over the past few months with questions as well as ideas for firmware updates and he's been nothing but phenomenal in addressing both.

To address your last question - Are you referring to shooting e-match and powder-less ignitor's (talons)? The FireTek sense's this automatically and pushes the correct current to fire. I've shot shows with a mix and worked without issue.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're on the fence or have any questions about the system

Mucko
06-01-2016, 08:53 PM
I will be lighting off 1.4 cakes this year and perhaps boxes of 25 shot artillery shells. I really dont know much about how they work besides using electrical to provide ignition. This years show will be 11 boards plus a 500ish shot shell setup in the middle. Each board will have 4 "cues" aka rows of stuff going off. I'd like to be able to handle roughly 40 cues of stuff. In this case...I'd be able to bypass pretty much all fuse and go direct to cakes, no?

ras1986
06-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Just go with starfire if you want the best. That's what alot of true pros use. If you don't wanna spend the 8 grand go with a cobra. It has been abused on video hundreds of times and works excellent. Even if you put a 3 inch salute next to the mod and set it off, it would probably be repairable..... Scott did it on video.

Westpapyro
06-02-2016, 12:49 AM
If money is no object I'll come up and shoot your show and I'll even let you push the first cue.
Haha.
Have friends that shoot Starfire, Cobra and Others. It's just a matter of what you want your system to do?
I shoot with a Cobra!

Mucko
06-02-2016, 08:56 PM
My show this year is about 250 cakes and 700 artillery shells :) I am soo excited to light money on fire.