PDA

View Full Version : My ATF Process In The State Of New York

PYRODAD1236
04-20-2016, 09:26 PM
I want to help people understand how simple the process of obtaining a ATF 54 actually is. This is how my process went start to finish:

Mailed application priority mail Feb. 26 2016

ATF received application March 2 2016

Received Called For Interview March 5 2016

Interview March 7 2016

Received ATF 54 in mail March 21 2016

Thank you Dave for your DVD package, If I had known it was this easy I would have had this 2 years ago when I ordered your package.

Casiasr6
04-24-2016, 07:05 PM
That's awesome. My goal is to get mine this year. I'm in Texas and need a shooters license to shoot them so I'm working on that just having trouble finding licensed pyrotechnician to work with. How are you doing storage? ATF type 54 is a little rare down here so there's not a lot of professional companies that offer they same stuff up north like storage and open shoots. I think Im going to go with the job box style storage just to get by for now. Congrats on your ATF!

CTPYRO
04-24-2016, 07:25 PM
The ATF process is simple providing that you have your own ATF approved storage or contingency. I don't know if some states require you to have a shooters license or not. The 54 however is useless unless you can legally discharge 1.3... meaning you can obtain a permit to shoot class B. Doing club events takes all the hassle from having to get permits.. lol

Casiasr6
04-24-2016, 07:34 PM
Yeah in Texas you need a shooters permit and to obtain one you need to be licensed by the state. There's one club that I know of out here and they shoot twice a year that's not enough to get my pyro fix lol especially when you live on a few acres and can shoot at home. The club here shoots between 3 and 6 hours away depending which shoot you go too

displayfireworks1
04-25-2016, 09:06 PM
I often try to find an instance of the state citing an ATF license holder for shooting fireworks without a state certification and I can never find one. Remember we are talking hobby non-commerce here. I don't know about Texas and their state requirements, many states have where at least one person on the shoot site has to have the certification and not everyone in attendance.

Casiasr6
04-28-2016, 06:47 PM
That's correct. I would like to shoot at home for our events, I just don't personally know any one licensed. (A licensed pyrotechnician needs to be present) I'm working on my shoots to get the state license. I've contacted a well know display company that does fireworks at baseball games in my area. Hopefully after that I can jump on a company and use there insurance and requirements as another user does on here in Texas. If not I can proceed with the ATF type 54. I have purchased your DVD and I'm holding onto it just incase.

CTPYRO
04-28-2016, 07:42 PM
Dave, I'm in CT and you need to be licensed to shoot 1.3 in the legal sense. If your shooting 1.3 without a permit and w/o a CT shooters license, ect then your just breaking the law. There is no such thing as a backyard show at least here in CT because only sparklers are considered to be allowed. In PA I think the laws for regarding shooting fireworks ( B or C ) is a much easier process. I say this because I have friends out in PA and have shot B out in PA and it's just a much more rural state.. lots of land to work with.... Kind of like Vermont. Vermont all you need to do is get a permit and that's it.

Mucko
05-24-2016, 04:59 PM
I want to help people understand how simple the process of obtaining a ATF 54 actually is. This is how my process went start to finish:

Interview March 7 2016

Thank you Dave for your DVD package, If I had known it was this easy I would have had this 2 years ago when I ordered your package.

Did you have to show that you were part of a club or organization in order to obtain type54?

chriskrc
05-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Dave, I'm in CT and you need to be licensed to shoot 1.3 in the legal sense. If your shooting 1.3 without a permit and w/o a CT shooters license, ect then your just breaking the law. There is no such thing as a backyard show at least here in CT because only sparklers are considered to be allowed. In PA I think the laws for regarding shooting fireworks ( B or C ) is a much easier process. I say this because I have friends out in PA and have shot B out in PA and it's just a much more rural state.. lots of land to work with.... Kind of like Vermont. Vermont all you need to do is get a permit and that's it.

That's one thing we need to bring up here in NY. Upstate does have it's city area's just like everyone else but we are also very rural. I have said this to law makers as part of getting what we have legal and many of them do agree that room to shoot isn't as big an issue up here. Will there be some people who act stupid, of course there always is but that's going to be the case no matter where you live. I can see, hopefully, changes coming to our law some day but there are and will be some hurdles in places. That being said I plan to finish the process for my atf 54 but that doesn't mean I will go crazy with it.

nypyrochef1.3
06-09-2016, 08:57 AM

Interview March 7 2016

Hey buddy I am in the middle of filling out my type 54 app and wondering what u did for storage or did you use contingency?

ajp989
11-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Where in ny do you live?

shake the cove
03-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Wow works fast in NY. Maybe a lot of ATF agents there. Then again I am from Tennessee everything slows in the south. It took 2 months from the time I sent application intill the ATF agent called and we got a date set to meet 3 weeks later, that was due to matching our work schedules. Once she inpected the explosive container it was about 5 weeks till I had my permit.
I was required to notify the state and local fire marshall sent a letter with plot map that I was storing explosives on the property for their safety LOL . I had already shot 5 shows over the last year and a half but did not at that time have the Tennessee shooters license in hand. I think she saw I was involved with the firework display thing and that satisfied her what I was doing for the Type 54 license.

independentpyro
04-06-2017, 07:54 AM
I live in up state NY near Binghamton. In what order did you have to get those?

Gordon
04-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Anyone in NY go through getting licensed and certificated in NY yet? From my understanding it appears you need two things. First, the Application for License to Purchase, Own, Possess and/or Transport Explosives (SH 850) and second the Application for a Pyrotechnician’s Certificate of Competence (SH870) which looks like there is a written exam involved as well. Let me know if there is another thread that already explains this in further depth. I'm working on my ATF 54 right now once I get a shipping container up to standard for a magazine since I have not found any contingency places within an hour or two of my home yet, but seems kind of pointless until I figure out the rest of what NYS requires.

https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/wp/SH872.pdf

Thanks
Gordon

ajp989
04-29-2017, 05:13 PM
Im taking my test in June which is when the next one is. I have the own posess already but I dont believe you need that for the cert of competence license that you meantion sh870. You can probably get your contingency through fireworkextravaganza.com. Let me know if you have any other questions I have been where you have been before its not an easy process.

kingsixx
07-20-2017, 11:12 PM
What are the NY guys doing as far as storage goes? I doubt it but are there any places that offer contingency?

displayfireworks1
07-21-2017, 06:17 PM
You guys out of New York State come to one of the demos and we will talk more about some options. I'm sure Fire Art in Clearfield Pennsylvania will have a demo in October. Keep an eye out for the announcement. If you need to understand the process consider getting my ATF/DVD application package.

kingsixx
07-21-2017, 06:50 PM
You guys out of New York State come to one of the demos and we will talk more about some options. I'm sure Fire Art in Clearfield Pennsylvania will have a demo in October. Keep an eye out for the announcement. If you need to understand the process consider getting my ATF/DVD application package.

Will you be at this demo in October? That month works for me since I'll be on vacation and it won't be as hot outside so don't have to worry about sweating my balls off. Definitely consider getting that package just need some questions answered first.