PDA

View Full Version : Tape or Zip-Ties!?!?

TexasPyro
06-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Can anyone tell me which of those two are the best or if there's any other way of doing it.
I've tried using electric tape but the fuse wont burn through it.
Any Tips or Advices?
Thanks!

Wood_Ohio
06-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Here is one of Dave's video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLwjab8RtyM&feature=player_embedded
It seems that this tape is more reliable than zip ties. I have saw some zip ties that didnt work where the tape would have, if you watch the video through you will be sent to uhaul's website where the tape is dirt cheap.

nrubmx
06-23-2011, 10:30 AM
i use zip ties because they are very easy to use, (i think easier than tape) and i havent had any misfires when using zip ties. if you decide to do zip ties, you need to use 4 inch ones and use 2 on every conection and you should be good to go

TexasPyro
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Ok Thankyou Both

thechemist45
06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
I use what use to hold my wires together in my 35lb high power rocket for the altimeters to the black powder charges that deploy my chutes.The are these squeeze clips the best way to explain them. Is you ever see how the fuel line is held on a dirt bike or a lawnmower. Its a clip that you squeze with a needle nose pliers and then you let go and it get real tight. Thats what I use and I never had one problem yet! We use them in Rocketry. If not zip tiescan work well But I use two at each spot where others would use one. It's like a backup. And I never had a problem with that either. Tape is good. But then if I have a continuety problem and need to replace something tape can have it's drawbacks as well. It's whatever your comfortable with. But I do like my rocket clips & I think I am one of the first to incorporate them over into pyrotechnics As one guy said these is genius lol I said I just use them. I did not make them. If your going to ask where to get them. I would say local hardware store.

Pyro Nation
06-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Tape is my preferred choice....

Palermitano2
06-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Use daves tape .....buy it at uhaul

Pyro Nation
06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Exactly... I got my order of 10 rolls in last week... Already started prepping some consumer cakes using the tap and some ematch ports

Palermitano2
06-23-2011, 09:26 PM
492 and counting.....I have about 7 rolls you know that stuff is pretty strong ive used it for things other then pyro and its pretty good.

Pyro Nation
06-23-2011, 09:36 PM
It is pretty good... I used it to tape some table clothes down to tables for a party we were having outside... pretty impressive

TexasPyro
06-23-2011, 10:00 PM
What im sayong is, ive tried electrical tape and my visco fuse could'nt burn through it. I Didnt have much tape on it anyways.

Pyro Nation
06-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Really Texas... I used electrical tape since 2004.... I really had no issues with it.... odd

TexasPyro
06-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Dead serious! I Went from visco to visco with electrical tape and it just stopped. I might just have to use 4'in zip-ties this 4th of july. =/

Pyro Nation
06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Wow.... since last year... Now that I am using firing sytems and Dave's magic tape.. I have always used electrical tape to do visco to visco... I may get a few cakes not working, but majority all go... out of 350 shells... i get maybe 4 that dont fire as well

AND THAT IS MY 500TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TexasPyro
06-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Oh, it's just me then! Haha

Congratulations and all because Of me ypure at you 500th post! Haha jk

Ziggirat
06-24-2011, 05:29 AM
If u use daves tape from Uhual Prepare for ur fingers to be RAW afterwards and numb that is the stickest tape ever but my vote tap

ThunderKing
06-24-2011, 12:23 PM
zip tapes and tape=win

Pyro@Mach13
06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
electric tape has never let me down!

Grillma$ter
06-25-2011, 05:20 AM
I use what use to hold my wires together in my 35lb high power rocket for the altimeters to the black powder charges that deploy my chutes.The are these squeeze clips the best way to explain them. Is you ever see how the fuel line is held on a dirt bike or a lawnmower. Its a clip that you squeze with a needle nose pliers and then you let go and it get real tight. Thats what I use and I never had one problem yet! We use them in Rocketry. If not zip tiescan work well But I use two at each spot where others would use one. It's like a backup. And I never had a problem with that either. Tape is good. But then if I have a continuety problem and need to replace something tape can have it's drawbacks as well. It's whatever your comfortable with. But I do like my rocket clips & I think I am one of the first to incorporate them over into pyrotechnics As one guy said these is genius lol I said I just use them. I did not make them. If your going to ask where to get them. I would say local hardware store.

The "rocket clips" you are referring to--- that's interesting. I know exactly what your talking about though. I'm not sure an auto parts store would have them that small....maybe. I like that idea---you can reuse them and it's faster than zip-tieing by hand. I may try that someday...if I can find them. Maybe a hobby shop would have them if not..

FusedWaffles
06-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Gotta love those zip ties. I use tape when needing to shield the fuses.

This is my first post so hello to everyone. :)

TexasPyro
06-25-2011, 05:30 PM

\Hey FusedWaffles it me thermalzz on youtube, you asked me if i listened to Dubstep and you said you listened to Dubstep about 5hours in one week! Remember me?

Pyro@Mach13
06-25-2011, 11:39 PM

Hello FW - I love your videos!

crackerbomb
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Great news for me. The factory I work for is now using Daves magic tape. Just in time!!!!!

Pyro Nation
06-27-2011, 10:18 PM
lol... very nice..... I do believe it is a lot easier to use than duct tape.. Rips easier and is very strong

crackerbomb
06-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Its funny you mentioned that, my wife had picked me up a roll of Gorila tape. That stuff will kick you butt..... Dang good tape thow.

Pyro Nation
06-27-2011, 10:22 PM
LOL... You should see the duct tape the wife bought.. I didn't have the heart to tell her I have other tape...lol.... so i will use the duct tape to secure some cakes so it doesn't go to waste....lol

crackerbomb
06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Momma aint happy.......... nobody is happy............ lol

Pyro Nation
06-27-2011, 10:25 PM
So true... the sang I always got was.... A happy home is a Happy wife....

crackerbomb
06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Its bull crap how that works.........LOL